Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory specs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mailman71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Memory specs Reply with quote

I know the Kronos has 1 gig of ram, but what kind of ram? DDR2,DDR3 or the older pc133? Ive search the forum and havent found the answer to this.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it will be DDR2 since the Kronos is powered by an Intel Atom. Only the most recent Atoms use DDR3 but I'd guess they would have been relased too late to make it into the current revision of the Kronos design.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the KRONOS has 2 GB of physical RAM. About 1 GB is used by the system and the "ROM" samples, leaving about 1 GB free for use by other samples.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR2.
Mailman71

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I pre-ordered my kronos 88 last month-very excited.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, why don't you always finish your explications?... It seems you always forget to mention it will be possible to upgrade the memory for at least 4Gb, to get 3Gb free for samples...

Oh that's right, I just dreamed about it... That's right, that's why!!!

Don't hurt me, I'm just kidding Wink

Phil
Flash & The Pan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Dan, why don't you always finish your explications?... It seems you always forget to mention it will be possible to upgrade the memory for at least 4Gb, to get 3Gb free for samples...

Oh that's right, I just dreamed about it... That's right, that's why!!!

Don't hurt me, I'm just kidding Wink

Phil

Question,

It is a "volatile" memory right, so do I have to load my samples every time I turn on Kronos?...that sucks !...Im still loving my Mac with Kontakt 4...Lol
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples are loaded automatically at startup, and then they're all instantly available as you switch between them - unlike software samplers, which can take a significant amount of time to load each sound.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
zahush76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Note that the KRONOS has 2 GB of physical RAM. About 1 GB is used by the system and the "ROM" samples, leaving about 1 GB free for use by other samples.

This is becoming more and more confusing. Sorry. A lot of misinformation and contradicting versions as to how much free ram can be used for user-samples.
When confronted with this question, rich f wrote that this 1 gb of ram you are talking about is full of samples, and there's only about 273mb of ram left.
On the other hand other korg representitives repeat the message that the kronos comes with 1gb of ram free for sampling or for playing samples in wav\akai\aiff\soundfont format.

So, please, would korg get their act together and be a little less confusing about this?
What's the answer?
mrk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question has already been answered several times by now in this forum. 1GB sample RAM is available if you do not preload the default set of EXs. Otherwise ~250MB are available. So if you unpackage and boot the machine the first time, 273MB sample RAM will be available.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
This is becoming more and more confusing. Sorry. A lot of misinformation and contradicting versions as to how much free ram can be used for user-samples.....What's the answer?

All of the above! Very Happy Please look at the EXs list. These are the samples in your Kronos drive:

314 MB (ROM 1,505 multisamples, 1388 drum samples)
Build-in Expansion PCM Libraries:
EXs1 - ROM Expansion
EXs2 - Concert Grand Piano
EXs3 - Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 - Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 - ROM Expansion 2
EXs6 - SGX-1 German D Piano
EXs7 - SGX-1 Japanese C Piano
EXs8 - Rock Ambience Drums
EXs9 – Jazz Ambience Drums

As you can see, 314mb is the preload "ROM". EXs1 I'm guessing is the same as OASYS, so another 300 megs. EXs2 is just under 500 megs. EXs3 is about 700 megs. Granted, these are streaming, but each one requires a piece of the RAM.

It sounds like the most RAM available to the user is 1 gig. That means not streaming most of those. So, it is up to you to decide how many Korg sounds you want to use. The more you use, the less RAM you have.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
So, please, would korg get their act together and be a little less confusing about this?
What's the answer?

Based on previous comments from Dan, this is my analysis of the situation.

-----

The Kronos has 2GB of RAM. Half of that is taken up by OS files and the factory wave ROM -- neither of which you want to remove. So that half is basically untouchable.

The other half is free for sampling. However, the Kronos comes pre-loaded with some expansion samples, so the total "free" RAM is ~273MB. Those expansion samples can be freely unloaded from RAM onto the SSD, however, as they are not required for the base HD-1 engine to function.

This is analogous to the situation with the M3 Xpanded. The M3 ships with ~64MB of sample RAM. Roughly 59MB of that is taken up by the samples for the EX-USB-PCM 03 grand piano expansion. These samples, however, can be freely loaded and unloaded from an attached USB thumb drive -- or, on some M3 Xpanded models, a built-in SD card. In fact, there's a menu option in M3 OS 2.0 and above specifically dedicated to this loading and unloading of EX-USB-PCM sample sets. (In Media mode, just touch the "EX-USB PCM" tab.)

These sets are not required for the EDS synth engine to function; the only downside to unloading them is that any programs which use those samples won't sound. And since the sample sets are very clearly delineated in terms of content (2 packs of nothing but brass and woodwind samples, 2 packs of nothing but grand piano samples), you know exactly what you're swapping in and out.

The OASYS also allows for easy loading and unloading of EXs sample sets, and there's every reason to believe that the Kronos will retain this feature. In Global mode, just touch the menu drop-down icon in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen, and select "Expansion Sample Setup". A window will appear listing the various EXs sample sets, along with descriptions and file sizes for each. You can freely load, unload, and reload sets by touching tick boxes to the left of each entry.

(Technical musing: Since the Kronos uses disk streaming, I suspect that I'm potentially over-simplifying how the EXs RAM usage actually works, but I'm confident in my assessment of the loading and unloading prodecure.)

Last edited by Citizen Klaus on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
zahush76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrk wrote:
This question has already been answered several times by now in this forum. 1GB sample RAM is available if you do not preload the default set of EXs. Otherwise ~250MB are available. So if you unpackage and boot the machine the first time, 273MB sample RAM will be available.

I know. I've heard this myself several times. Which is exactly why saying :
Quote:
About 1 GB is used by the system and the "ROM" samples, leaving about 1 GB free for use by other samples.
is a lie.
It doesn't come with 1gb of free ram, but rather with 1gb of ram occupied by the expansions. And if you want the full 1gb of ram you have to give up the grand pianos, vintage keyboards and all the rest. So what's the point?
And even if i give up only one of the pianos, the drums maybe - i'll still won't reach 1gb of free ram.

Another couple of questions that still weren't answered are:

1) If i don't want specific sounds from the expansions and i'm willing to give them up to make more room - can i unload those specific sounds, or do i have to give up the whole expansion?

2) Does anybody know, roughly, how much is freed, relativly, when you give up each expansion? What does the 4.7gb of the grand piano translates into?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
Does anybody know, roughly, how much is freed, relativly, when you give up each expansion?

That's a very good question. I would like to see what exactly each one takes up.

On OASYS, if you just load the base ROM, it gives you more than 1.5 gigs for user samples. Most of my work uses other samples, so I really like that.

BTW, the base sounds include pianos and most of the rompler/synth sounds you would expect, including the Wavestation ROM. All the dedicated synth engines - MOD-7, CX-3, PolySix, MS-20, STR-1, AL-1 - are part of the OS and are always available.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
mrk wrote:

I know. I've heard this myself several times. Which is exactly why saying :
Quote:
About 1 GB is used by the system and the "ROM" samples, leaving about 1 GB free for use by other samples.
is a lie.

Actually, it's entirely correct.

I see that you just joined. Welcome to the forum.

Before posting further, you might want to read this:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58593
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: