Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon: I know some bugs have been solved (I worked with NI, so I'm fully aware of that LOL), but it doesn't mean it will work seamlessly. Doing a bank of few presets, even few hundreds is way different than handling several plugins, with several samples, for thousands of presets...

Doing some test at home for personal use is way different that doing test for production release...

If you don't believe me, Ok then.. show me your setup and give me all specs of your configuration, with 12+ Gb of multi-samples, 9 different engines (not only Kontakt) using and sharing these samples, some using them with streaming, with effects and thousands of presets made with direct access. Gimme your setup, I will crash it in less than 2mn... because it won't work. I know it, because it has been my job to know it...

Now you can claim everything you want on forums, I will just tell you: Show me, prove it! If you can't prove it, you can't say it...

Phil
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally hardware workstations still have better integration (but I wonder for how long yet), I'm not denying that.

But I just wanted to say that indeed it IS possible to get seamless patch switching with Kontakt, and I countered the statement that sample sharing isn't working correctly (food for thought - it's always been working correctly for me, but I'm using Reaper, whereas users of some other hosts experienced memory sharing issues Smile)

That's all I did say, and I know for a fact that what I said is correct, nothing more, nothing less.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, if it works for you at home for few presets for a song or project, it doesn't mean it will be ready for production release with thousands of presets for heavy duty use by people around the world...

The only way it could work, would be to replicate what Korg did with the Oasys/Kronos environment. Build a VST Host application, with integrated sample player (such the HD-1), that will go through samples allocation and voicing management. Then, you'll need to development your own memory management for your application (if your OS allows you to do so) and your own drivers to guarantee stability of the entire signal path... so you'll end up designing your own audio interface...

And then you'll realize that most of VST plugins aren't all well coded, so you need to development your own Synthesis engines... such Korg did with AL-1, MS-20, CX3, etc...

Then, you'll run thousands of test, de-buging, sound design and voicing before to be sure the system is stable enough to start mass production; of course you'll get surprises...

So, in the end, you'll end up with a development pretty close of the Oasys and you definitely can't do it by yourself and you'll need a full R&D team and freaking budget...

I'm not saying it's not possible thought...

Phil
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I wasn't talking about mass production at all... I just mentioned that some things Kronos touts do work in software realm, as well. Not as integrated, sure, but it's happening alright.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't waste my time, so as said: Prove it, do a youtube video... I can't wait to see it... LOL!!
JimiJones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan;

Let me get this straight, you quoted that you can unload specific sounds in an Exi expansion library, something that could not be done on my previous OASYS, on the OASYS you had to unload the entire Exi expansion, lets take the "Brass and Woodwinds" for example, you are stating now that on the KRONOS we will be able to unload a specific sound such as the "Soprano Sax" or as the person stated the "Trumpet" without unloading anything else, I ask you again Dan Phillips is this true...?

Jimi Jones
Http://www.myspace.com/jimijones21
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Dan, but that's true. Laughing
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

All of the above! Very Happy Please look at the EXs list. These are the samples in your Kronos drive:

314 MB (ROM 1,505 multisamples, 1388 drum samples)
Build-in Expansion PCM Libraries:
EXs1 - ROM Expansion
EXs2 - Concert Grand Piano
EXs3 - Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 - Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 - ROM Expansion 2
EXs6 - SGX-1 German D Piano
EXs7 - SGX-1 Japanese C Piano
EXs8 - Rock Ambience Drums
EXs9 – Jazz Ambience Drums

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things contained in ROM Expansion and ROM Expansion 2 EX's?

People seem wary of the fact that the EXs use such a big chunk of the sample RAM available, but what are the chances you are going to use EVERY EX ... I can already tell I'm going to keep a few of them unchecked to be loaded up on startup... I'll just load them when and if i need them (i do realize some people will use progs and combis from all of them).
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
As I wrote, about 1 GB is used by the system and the "ROM" samples, leaving about 1 GB free for use by other samples. In the factory configuration, about 3/4 of that 1GB is used for EXs samples.

Hi dan.

Can please explain why is it that Gordon reid, in his review of the Kronos, found only 148mb of free ram for sample memory?
Is it some kind of a mistake, maybe? Or did Korg give him a specific model which was already loaded with more samples?
Or are the specs just wrong?

Cause 148mb of free ram gives you 85% of that 1GB that is full. Not 75% as you first stated.

Thanks.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan said 3/4 (75%) is FULL ! With korg EXs which you can unload to get 1 gig free
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
EXer wrote:
Sorry if my question seems silly to the more technically aware members, but why should 'ROM' or EXs samples be loaded into RAM when the samples can be streamed from the SSD?

In my EX5 and in a Motif XF, the samples can be read from the flash RAM *directly*; isn't a SSD just flash RAM and a controller?

Well, SSD isn't quite the same than ROM or Flash RAM in term of access. Pre-loading of attacks allows to play the beginning of samples while the system is requiring to the SSD to read the rest of multiple samples, which could require a tiny little access time due to the architecture.
[...]
Phil

Thanks for your answer, Phil.

You got it precisely: a running process can have direct access to flash memory through the memory map, while data on the SSD have to be loaded into memory by the SSD controller first before being accessible by the process through the mmap.

I got my answer on a French forum; it's very technical and it's in French so it may not be of interest to everyone, but here it is:

e-miel wrote:

Les processus ne peuvent travailler qu'avec des infos figurant dans la carte des mémoires. La mémoire Flash du Motif XF apparaît dans la carte des mémoires. Les données du SSD n'apparaissent pas dans la carte des mémoires, et doivent donc être copiées dans une mémoire (la RAM) pour apparaître dans cette carte, afin de pouvoir être utilisées par les processus. Ces copies sont ordonnées par l'OS, et réalisées de façon matérielle par le contrôleur du SSD. Ces copies sont réalisées par blocs (multiples de 4ko) et demandent à chaque fois une interruption du cycle multitâche. Tout ça doit être pris en compte dans la mesure du temps d'accès.

Le cache disque en RAM (qui conserve les derniers blocs accédés) permet justement d'éviter toutes ces interruptions à répétition, qui sont lourdes à gérer, et qui n'ont pas lieu dans le Motif XF où la Flash est utilisée directement depuis la carte des mémoires.

La carte des mémoires est dressée par le contrôleur de mémoire lors du Boot. Cette carte contient toutes les mémoires qui sont accessibles octet par octet. Entre chaque mémoire, il y a du vide (que j'ai dessiné en hâchures) qui permet de détecter les débordements, donc les erreurs d'adressage. Dans la carte des mémoires du Motif XF, il a fallu que Yamaha arrive à tout caser dans seulement 4Go (limite des adresses sur 32bits) et c'est pour ça que le Motif XF n'accepte que 2Go maximum de Flash, et 128Mo maximum de RAM dédiée au sampling, alors que le Motif XS n'avait pas de Flash et pouvait accepter jusqu'à 2Go de RAM dédiée au sampling. Honnêtement, je pense que dans le Motif il y a également une autre RAM pour le système, mais la question n'est pas là. La carte des mémoires du Kronos est sur 64bits, et comme de nos jours personne n'a l'utilité d'une telle taille, seuls les 36 voire 40 bits de poids faible sont réellement câblés dans le contrôleur de mémoire, et comme plus les adresses sont longues, et plus le routage des octets est lent, on a tout intérêt à minimiser la taille physique des adresses, donc sur les 64bits d'une adresse aujourd'hui, il y en a au moins 20 qui seront toujours à zéro. Donc même si on était suffisamment fortunés pour avoir 1To de puces de mémoire Flash sous la main, il serait impossible de les faire tenir dans la carte des mémoires, du moins dans son implémentation physique actuelle.

Revenons au SSD. Le SSD est composé de secteurs (512 octets) de mémoire Flash + un tampon de 32 ou 64Mo selon les modèles. Seul le tampon figure dans la carte des mémoires, les mémoires Flash du SSD n'y figurent pas, et ne figureront jamais dans la carte des mémoires. D'ailleurs, les données stockées dans ces mémoires Flash ne sont pas accessibles octet par octet, mais secteur par secteur. Si on veut lire un octet dans un SSD, on est obligé de demander l'accès à tout un secteur: le contrôleur du SSD va alors copier l'intégralité du secteur demandé vers son tampon.

Quant à l'OS, il gère ses mémoires virtuelles grâce à la MMU, et la MMU des processeurs Intel (et compatibles: AMD, VIA...) découpe la mémoire en blocs de 4ko appelés pages. Donc l'OS va toujours travailler en pages, et va faire des échanges page par page entre la mémoire et le disque, donc les disques seront toujours accédés par groupe de 8 secteurs (car 8 secteurs = 1 page) raison pour laquelle les fabricants de SSD sont en train de militer pour ramener la granularité des adresses de stockage à 4ko, au lieu des 512 octets actuels. Pourquoi font-il cela? Parce que comme un SSD fonctionne par blocs d'octets, son câblage est conçu de telle sorte que les 512 octets soient lus (ou écrits) en parallèle, et non l'un après l'autre. Si la granularité des adresses de stockage passe à 4ko, ils pourront construire des SSD 8x plus parallèles, donc beaucoup plus rapides.

La Flash du Motif XF est réellement accessible octet par octet, contrairement à la Flash d'un SSD. Même si les puces Yamaha et les puces d'un SSD étaient les mêmes, sur un SSD elles seraient câblées en parallèle pour davantage de performance lors des copies de secteur, ce que n'a pas fait Yamaha, la Flash du Motif n'étant pas destinée à l'archivage mais à l'utilisation directe, donc octet par octet.

J'en vois ça et là qui reprochent à Yamaha que le chargement/sauvegarde de gros fichiers dans la Flash est long, et en concluent que la Flash Yamaha est bas-de-gamme. Rien n'est plus faux: le Motif est un instrument de musique, et demande donc un accès octet par octet au contenu de la Flash. Comme il a été construit comme ça (pour privilégier la musique) même les copies d'échantillons se font octet par octet, et paraissent forcément très longues, alors que ces mêmes puces dans un SSD auraient été câblées en parallèle et auraient carburé à la copie de gros fichiers d'échantillons, mais auraient été inutilisables en utilisation "musicale" de ces échantillons.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us, like myself, that do not speak/read french here is a VERY ROUGH translation. You'll need to work out the very non-english phrases the best you can. Hope it helps.

Translation:

The processes can work only with infos figuring in the card of the memories. The memory Flash of the Motive XF appears in the card of the memories. The data of the SSD do not appear in the card of the memories, and have therefore to be copied in a memory (the RAM) to appear in this card, in order to be able to be used by the processes. These copies are ordered by the BONE, and realized in a manner material by the inspector of the SSD. These copies are realized by pads (multiples of 4KO) and ask every time an interruption of the cycle multitâche. All that must be taken into account in the measure of the access time.

The mask disc in RAM (that preserves the last attained pads) allows exactly to avoid all these interruptions to repetition, that are heavy to manage, and that do not have place in the Motive XF where Flash is used directly since the card of the memories.

The card of the memories is erected by the memory inspector at the time of the Boot. This card contains all the memories that are accessible 8-bit bytes by 8-bit byte. Between every memory, there is emptiness (that I drew in hâchures) that allows detecting the floods, therefore the addressing errors. In the card of the memories of the Motive XF, Yamaha must arrive to all to put in only 4GO (limit of the addresses on 32BITS) and is for that that the Motive XF accepts only 2GO maximum of Flash, and 128MO maximum of dedicated RAM to the sampling, while the Motive X'S did not have any Flash and could accept to 2GO of dedicated RAM to the sampling. Fairly, I think that in the Motive there is equally another RAM for the system, but the question is not there. The card of the memories of the Kronos is on 64BITS, and as these days no one has the usefulness of a such cuts, only the 36 indeed 40 bits of weak weight actually are wired in the memory inspector, and as more the addresses are long, and more the routage of the 8-bit bytes is slow, one has any interest to minimize the physical size of the addresses, therefore on the 64BITS of an address today, there are some at least 20 Who will always be to zero. Therefore even if one was sufficiently fortunate to have 1TO of fleas of memory Flash under the hand, it would be impossible to do them to hold in the card of the memories, less in his current physical implementation.

Let's come back to the SSD. The SSD is composed from sectors (512 8-bit bytes) of memory Flash + a plug of 32 or 64MO according to the models. Only the plug figures in the card of the memories, the memories Flash of the SSD do not there figure, and will never figure in the card of the memories. Besides, the stocked data in these memories Flash are not accessible 8-bit bytes by 8-bit byte, but sector by sector. If one wants to read a 8-bit byte in a SSD, one is obliged to ask the access to all a sector: the inspector of the SSD then will copy the entirety of the required sector towards his plug.

As for the BONE, it manages its potential memories thanks to the MMU, and the MMU of the processors Intel (and compatible: AMD, THROUGH. ..) cuts the memory in pads of 4KO called pages. Therefore the BONE always will work in pages, and will do the exchanges page by page between the memory and the disc, therefore the discs always will be attained by group of 8 sectors (for 8 sectors = 1 page) reason for which the manufacturers of SSD are campaigning to bring back the granularity of the addresses of storage to 4KO, instead of the 512 current 8-bit bytes. Why do it that? Because as a SSD works by 8-bit byte pads, his wiring is conceived of such sort that the 512 8-bit bytes are read (or written) in parallel, and non-the one after the other. If the granularity of the addresses of past storage to 4KO, they will be able to construct SSD 8x more parallel , therefore a lot quicker ones.

The Flash of the Motive XF is actually accessible 8-bit byte by 8-bit byte, in contrast to the Flash of a SSD. Even if the fleas Yamaha and the fleas of a SSD were the same, on a SSD they would be wired in parallel for more of performance at the time of the sector copies, which did not do Yamaha, the Flash of the Motive not being intended for archiving but to the direct usage, therefore 8-bit byte by 8-bit byte.

I visible that and there that accuse Yamaha that the load/safeguard of big files in Flash is long, and in conclude that Flash Yamaha is low-of-range. Nothing is more false: the Motive is a music instrument, and asks therefore an access 8-bit byte by 8-bit byte to the content of Flash. As it was constructed as that (to privilege the music) even the copies of samples do themselves 8-bit byte by 8-bit byte, and appear necessarily very long, while these same fleas in a SSD would have been wired in parallel and would have gone to the copy of big files of samples, but would have been unusable in usage "musical" of these samples.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These automatic translators are horrible.

At least I would say 'memory map' and not 'card of memory'...
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
These automatic translators are horrible.

At least I would say 'memory map' and not 'card of memory'...

Please feel free to edit the text in order for it to make better sense. I did step 1, do you fancy doing step2 Wink
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - was going to say "well done" for doing THAT much translation. Cool

Would have made sense to post it all in English (as English is the predominant language on this forum) in the first place. rather than take the p1ss Wink
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: