Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keybeds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Keybeds Reply with quote

I've been reading about the keybeds and have a question. I read in other uses the rh3 has some adjustability is this true in the Kronos? And am I correct in understanding it does not have after touch in which case could a pedal compensate for that or the ribbon? Thanks
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RH3 (at least, as found on the M3 and Kronos) does indeed have aftertouch. On the M50 and SV-1, IIRC, it's left out.

As for the adjustability, both velocity and aftertouch have adjustable curves. The M3 gives you 9 velocity curve options, one of which is expressly designed for the RH3. From the M3 Parameter Guide (p. 372):

Quote:
Compared to the standard curve #4, this curve softens the response of gently-played notes. This allows velocity control with broader dynamics for sounds such as acoustic piano. This setting is particularly recommended for the M3XP-88.

However, I'm not aware of any means to physically adjust the RH3, if that's what you're referring to.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope you answered waht I was asking and made my decision easier. With all this tech is there a way to map a couple favorite curves to a button? Thanks!
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Nope you answered waht I was asking and made my decision easier. With all this tech is there a way to map a couple favorite curves to a button? Thanks!

Not that I'm aware of, but the curve selection menu is right on the first page of Global mode. It's hard to miss.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thank you!
TheLeadingSaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of keybeds, the RH3 isn't like the RH2 right? (with lower notes being heavier and higher notes being lighter)
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLeadingSaw wrote:
Speaking of keybeds, the RH3 isn't like the RH2 right? (with lower notes being heavier and higher notes being lighter)

It is a graded keybed, IIRC. So that much, at least, would be similar.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the SGX-1 you have additional parameters such as Velocity Bias and Velocity Intensity which should allow you to fine tune the acoustic piano sounds to your playing style.

Busch.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
However, I'm not aware of any means to physically adjust the RH3, if that's what you're referring to.

This is something I have been wondering lately. While Korg never designed the RH3 to be physically adjustable, I'm curious what mods would have to be done to make the weighted keybed a semi-weighted keybed? Is it spring tension? How heavy the weights are? What?

If I could disassemble the RH3 and remove/replace/adjust something to make the RH3 respond faster, I'd have the best of both worlds...

Dan, any idea?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

If I could disassemble the RH3 and remove/replace/adjust something to make the RH3 respond faster, I'd have the best of both worlds...

If this could be done I'd order an 88 today.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cancelled my Kronos 88 order because the RH3 keybed, while better than the Yamaha and Roland 88 IMHO, is just WAY too sluggish for me to use.

On the plus side, I had a gig on St. Patty's day and was told after the show by some people in a local band that all my patches were dead on to the originals and no other band they've heard has been close. Makes all of my many many many OCD hours of patch programming worth it! Smile
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
TheLeadingSaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play on an M3 88 a week ago and it is not even close to the Fantom G8 keybed which is way better. Do you actually find the Korg keybeds better than Roland and Yamaha?

And are you getting a Kronos 61?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about 5 minutes on the Roland and Yamaha before I spent about an hour on the M3-88. I preferred the RH3 as far as the 88 weighted's go. But it's not like any of them were really bad.

I won't buy a KRONOS 61. The reason I'd be buying the KRONOS is for live use and I use lots of key splits. I couldn't use a 61 key for that. It looks like my last hope is that someone from Korg PM's me and says that I can mod the 88 key RH3 to play faster. Otherwise, I won't be buying any new gear for quite a while.
TheLeadingSaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe replace the keybed with a weighted Fatar keybed?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of the dopefer organ master keybed. I like the way they stack and the extra buttons and they even have the draw bar control also. I do not know what they cost but they have me rethinking a few options such as come next year maybe a 73 key Kronos and their master boards. The waterfall action I want I just don't know how fast the react or if the would work for McHale's needs but it is worth looking into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: