Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talk me down?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Talk me down? Reply with quote

Well I am having second thoughts about a Kronos. The synth tone I like is the moog tones little phatty and such but the tones I was looking for when I started this journey were organ tones. I absolutely love the organs of the Nord C2 especially the pipe organ!

I am considering the C2, sorry Korg, but I haven't decided yet. I'm sure with the Kronos I could tweak some seriously killer organ tones out of it. My thought is go for the C2 now and then a Kronos next year, by then any initial bugs should be worked out but I wonder what the odds are of the price increasing, of course if it did go to high I would just go for the little phatty instead and midi it to the C2. So with this in mind why should I wait for the Kronos? Convince me, I don't care so much about the piano, I can get a used piano and fix it up myself so it isn't a concern, most of the synth type tones I like I can get form a LP or Prophet 08 so why Kronos?

I am not trying to troll I am looking for some honest assessment of what you think based on what I am looking for, listed above. Anyone with the oasys please chime in on organ tones you have used or created? Lets leave the keybed discussion out of this if possible. I have already asked that and gotten a ton of info, thanks every! Anyway I hope I didn't ramble to much and I appreciate any help with this twist. Lastly the LP and the C2 were where I started this quest from and the Kronos took over and seemed firmly planted but now I still like the original quest but the Kronos desire is leaving.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Talk me down? Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
So with this in mind why should I wait for the Kronos? Convince me, I don't care so much about the piano, I can get a used piano and fix it up myself so it isn't a concern, most of the synth type tones I like I can get form a LP or Prophet 08 so why Kronos?

If you don't already own an LP or P'08, there's the value quotient to consider. My direct experience extends only to the RADIAS, and I've found it to be extremely chameleonic. Every Prophet patch I've wanted to replicate, the RADIAS can do to a degree that perfectly satisfies my ears. With a little more effort in programming, I can even get what (to me) sound like passable Moog tones, though Arturia's Minimoog V still has a bit of special zest to it that I can't quite replicate.

As Dan Phillips has pointed out, though, AL-1 has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve (selectable filter resonance tonality, for one) that help it get that much closer to accurately replicating Moog tone. And I have full confidence that it can do what my RADIAS already does with respect to Prophet tone.

(And it's also worth keeping in mind that with the Kronos, you get a built-in effects processor stocked with loads of high-quality effects. Neither the Little Phatty nor the Prophet '08 have on-board effects, so that would be another expense to consider if you don't already have either a rack processor or a good assortment of DAW plug-ins.)

So that leaves the Nord C2. I've agonized over this, myself; prior to Korg announcing the Kronos, I was all set to purchase an Electro 3 this summer. I've heard some really great B3 tone out of the C2, mainly thanks to Chris Martirano's demos. I'm confident that I'd never use the Farfisa and Vox models, so those aren't much of a concern for me.

(The C2's pipe organ model is very cool, and I'd probably spend a good amount of time noodling with it if I had one, but the lower price and sample-loading functionality of the Electro 3 had me leaning more in that direction. Plus, I wasn't quite ready to cough up $3000 for a new keyboard just yet. The Kronos, though, presents a much stronger value proposition than the C2.)

That leaves the question of just how the C2/Electro 3 stack up against the CX-3 in terms of Hammond tone. I've heard various opinions -- mostly in favor of the CX-3 -- and spent some time remastering the rather poor quality demos that Korg used to have up for the hardware BX-3. I'm still tempted to squeeze in a comparison of some sort, but that means probably forgoing a Kronos pre-order and waiting until demo units are available in stores. (That, or hoping that West LA Music will also have an Electro 3 out for demo when the Korg All-Access event hits Los Angeles.)

All I can do now is run spec-sheet comparisons, and I get the feeling that you've done the same. I'm still leaning towards the Kronos, mostly because I wanted an OASYS long before I got my M3, but could never afford one. The benefits of the integrated package, for me, outweigh whatever incremental improvements that Nord's Hammond emulation might have over Korg's.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
And yes, you DO sound like a TROLL! Rolling Eyes

Simmer down, man. Bertotti's always been chill here, and he's asking some reasonable questions. For some of us, $3K is a hefty amount of cash to drop on a new keyboard, and I know I've had moments of doubt similar to what he's expressing.
ravenmek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By bug, he meant to say like a little voice in his head saying "buy it, buy it, buy it" Very Happy
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 45 all I have ever played was a kimball organ and messed around with my kids PSR275 keyboard toy. Truthfully I really have no clue how to use Karma, I would rather have a real piano, and dog gone there is so much going on in the Kronos I feel swamped just thinking about how to use it after I spend years trying to learn it! Hence my hesitation. All this stems from lack of experience with a tool this involved. I have never worked with a musical instrument this advanced. I have built tube reverbs, tube amps for guitars, acoustic instruments, speaker cabs, rewired A-4, RF4b and F/A 18 Hornet fighters. I am not stupid but I tried reading the Oasys manual and gave up, without the tool in front of me it made little to no sense. I will have to make a complete leap of faith based on the opinions here because I will never have an opportunity to see or try one. I really am in the middle of nowhere and no store here will ever have one. 3k to 4k is a very large amount of money. I have to work hard and save long for a purchase like this so I have to be sure and so far I am not sure. I would be less hesitant if I knew I could capture the tones of the C2 organ but I don't know that and have not heard a demo even coming close other then the tone wheel sound. Forgive me my ignorance but I am trying to learn. Thanks for the replies guys they do help!

Does anyone who has worked with the Kronos have any comments on the organ tones? Playing organ on the Kronos? Confused
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Citizen Klaus wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

Simmer down, man. Bertotti's always been chill here, and he's asking some reasonable questions. For some of us, $3K is a hefty amount of cash to drop on a new keyboard, and I know I've had moments of doubt similar to what he's expressing.

Oh please! The Korg T2 was $4000 when it came out! Laughing

And people have been spending $3K on workstations since the legendary Korg T-series, man. That's not an excuse.

Actually, it is an excuse; those people were not me, and didn't have my budgetary concerns. I'm a pure hobbyist -- I make no money whatsoever from my music experiments. Based on what I've heard from Bertotti, he's much the same.

For me, something like the Kronos is an expense, not an investment. It will never make money for me. So I have to plan something like this very carefully. How many restaurant meals will I have to forgo? Does a Kronos purchase mean that I won't be able to take a vacation this year? I'm a grad student, I should note, and $3000 is a major fraction of my annual income. I'm going to have to sell some articles to a publisher if I want to have even a hope of getting one this year.

The question, for someone like me, is not a matter of buying a Kronos or buying a bunch of separate parts that replicate the functionality. I'd likely never be able to raise that kind of cash, nor would I really want to. With that much gear, I'd have to have a house with a proper studio, not the tiny apartment that I currently inhabit.

Rather, the question is between the Kronos and anything else that I could get for $3000 -- including rent, groceries, DVDs, and etc. And considering that I don't need a Kronos (I'm not even making full use of my M3), that's a decision that doesn't come lightly. I can't afford to just "walk out the door" with something this expensive, not when it costs a bit less than two months' pay.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus bingo you nailed a lot of it, plus I have two kids 4 and 5 years old.

Sina I appreciate your position but this is a big expenditure one discussed with the family! As for all that gear you list off, I had never ever heard of it till I came here, to this board, thinking about a little device called a micro korg. At the time I hadn't thought about replacing my Kimball Which I shut off post haste after getting a whiff of toasted transformer! I was looking at spending 300 buck or so on a new endeavor, something that looked fun and maybe a bit inspiring for me and my kids. I am not adverse to nice gear my mando was over 3k but I budgeted for it and I know how to play it somewhat but I will not make money doing so, same with guitars, I love to play but am no great musical talent. I hope that my kids will be much better. I digress. I'm sure I'll get a load of crap from others to for this post but through it all a few reasonable people will provide some similar insight which may help myself and others in a similar position. I thank everyone for the replies harsh or not.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a real tool and have not paid any real attention to the posts we had above, live your life, enjoy it, I'll thank God I'm not you! You said one important thing though, if you want it you'll find a way to get it. I do but I realized I don't want the Kronos, at least not now. I'm not convinced I ever really wanted it. I want organ so I'll just fix my Kimball again.

You know there is way to much drama in this forum.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Penumbra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
First of all, WHAT BUGS?!

This is the SAME SOFTWARE as the OASYS with a FAR more powerful processor, two new Syntrh Engines, 6 MORE EXs Libraries, DAW Integration, etc. AT HALF THE PRICE!!!!

And I can guarantee you that ANY bugs that were in the OASYS are GONE in KRONOS! Rolling Eyes

That's one.

Two: Have you ever played a Korg CX-3 Organ before? If you have, KRONOS will be even BETTER. With 12 Insert Effects, KARMA, and the ability to combine ANOTHER Synth Engine to it for a whole new sound, this is a NO BRAINER to me.

You don't wanna wait a month or so? Fine by us. More for us, then.

Do me a favor, will you? RESERVE YOUR JUDGEMENT ON THE KRONOS UNTIL YOU PLAY ONE!

K?

Sina

P.S. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but this is beyond ridiculous. WHAT BUGS?!?!

That makes me laugh! Laughing

Sina, when you'll stop to be such an idiot fanboy and respect other people opinions? You're a really a retard, nothing more. I can't stand you. Now you own 6 Oasys, 20 Triton Extreme, and 40 M3? Your attitude is lame, like yourself. Tell me, Korg pays you to defend them? No, because there's nothing to defend since they have screwed up and disappointed several people here, so what the f*ck you defend everytime? I'm just sorry that there's isn't an ignore function in this forum. The only useless troll I see it's you Sina. Get the f*ck out, idiot.

And plus he doesn't own all those instrument he say, he's just an idiot. Nothing more. Now he'll come back saying that someone has stolen him the 40 triton extremes without anyone noticing. Like the story of the Oasys, Sina the only thing that they've stolen you is your brain. Nothing more. Now seriously, get the f*ck out.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penumbra wrote:
I'm just sorry that there's isn't an ignore function in this forum. The only useless troll I see it's you Sina. Get the f*ck out, idiot.

Try the Function button on the Oasys and see if that helps? Very Happy

Ok seriously, I understand what people are writing in here.

'Back in the day' when I made an expensive synth purchase, just being 19 and no real job at the time, I made a lot of sacrifices, I walked wherever I needed to go, I didn't go to discos, cut down on expensive food, no fast food, all the little things and after a year I had the JD800 (which I still have) and most of the cards too.

So yes, Berlotti and Citizen Klaus, of course 3000$ is a big investment for something that is "hobby" (however you define it).
But if you spent 3000$ on a motorbike, people would be more understanding of that hobby, but tell them you're buying a synth and they're all "What you going to do with that thing?"

Although I slightly disagree, that it CAN be an investment of sorts, because in this day and age, if you get the Kronos, you can enjoy it for the rest of your lifetime. Its definetly possible. Sure gadgets will come and go, but with synthesizers in general reaching a maturity that will be hard to be innovative.
How much beyond normal ADSR do you wanna get?

I would recommend trying to save money for say 2-3 months, see how successful you are at it, and then see how much you saved. That will be an indication of your potential to save the money thats needed and if you're able to save say 500$ a month, then you know that you just have to stick it out for 6 months, or save 250$ a month, then you know its just 1 year of living that lifestyle.
So if it isn't too tough, I'd say go for it.

Without giving too much credit to Sina, he does make a point though, that if you LIVE for synths (Like I also did back then - but without Sinas medications) then it will be easier to save the money.
But if its a "nice to have object", then it will probably be tougher.

Berlotti, yes, you can cut back on restaurants and other things, just ask yourself "is this needed? Is this necessary?" It'll make it easier for you.

I understand that if you dont have the Oasys, it can be hard to decide exactly how the instrument is - but owning an Oasys you know a lot more of what to expect.
Trust me, you will be getting the markets best synth workstation.

Citizen Kane, for your apartment size, the Kronos is perfect, because all the integration, saving space and additional costs of software off a computer e.t.c.

Berlotti, if you want the Kronos ONLY because of the organ (which is a great instrument insinde the Kronos/Oasys) then perhaps you should rather invest in something cheaper that only offers that.
A real piano is nice, but you can't add anything to it, you'll have a difficult time to sample your songs through a mic. and you can't even add a simple delay or chorus to a real piano!

I wish the Kronos was available back in 1994 and I had your young age, then I wouldn't be in doubt Smile
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: