Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

Let's face it. Waiting for a Kronos until May 5th or June 5th or July 5th sucks, especially if you too much time on your hands.

So, in the meantime, here are 10 things one can do to occupy your time:

10. Teach Yourself Yoga & meditatation

Yup, it's a Zen thing alright. I have a cousin, does yoga 5 times a week. She swears by it. She goes to a class, and those women look pretty hot doing all that stretching. Unfortunately, I can't join that class but that has nothing to do with Kronos.

Meditation is a good idea since it would be better to relax for 3 or 5 months until I get a Kronos.

9. Take In A Good Movie

Hmmm. There have been a few movies released recently which are definitely worth seeing. There are several old movies worth seeing again.
Ever see Yellow Submarine with the Beatles ? Highly recommended.

8. Go Outside In The Sun

Yes, I know, what sun ? Its cloudy and rainy, cold, blah, blah.
I know the sun is there somewhere, just hang in there.

For the average keyboard/computer geek, going outside in the sunlight is like a vampire going out into the sun.

However, if you get some sunlight, you will feel better. More energetic. Healthier. And you know what that means?
You can stay up later when you finally get your Kronos in 3 months or 5 months.

7. Post with everyone on this forum

What a great idea. Find out what everyone is going thru while waiting for their Kronos. Or not waiting for their Kronos. Or sort of maybe waiting for their Kronos. Or ordering the Kronos than cancelling their Kronos order.

Or what they think about the Kronos. Or what they think about when they think about while thinking about the Kronos.

This is much cheaper than alcohol or other so called illegal substances.
Smile

6. Get a job working nights

So I can save that money and buy a Second Kronos. And I if like that night job, quit my day job ( assuming I have one) so I can play my Kronos all day during the day really loud when my neighbors are not home to complain.

5. Talk To Your Family

I haven't talked to my family in weeks. It isn't on purpose, I assure you. They live 3000 miles away. The problem is that they both work full time. I'm awake until 4am, and sleep until 2:00 in the afternoon. Then I go out, and don't get home until 9 or 10 pm, when they are already asleep. Woops.

4. Read War and Peace

Mark Twain defined a classic as "a book that everybody praises, but nobody reads." (By definition, I think this Top 10 qualifies.)
War and Peace is one such novel. More than a historical chronicle of Russia's struggle with Napoleon, War and Peace is a record of the lives of the individuals involved and of the physical realities of human experience. In short, it's a complete portrait of the human experience -- from happiness and greatness, to grief and humiliation.
Did I mention that it is very, VERY long?
But hey -- you've got quite a bit of time on your hands if you are waiting
3 or 5 months for a Kronos.

3. Get A Real Job

Hehe. Yeah right. I don't think any side-splitting commentary is necessary for this one. Go get a job, you silly keyboardist/musician -- it will be good for you. This sounds like a familiar topic. Ahh never mind, its still good advice.

2. Take a 3 month tour of Southeast Asia.

It only costs $15,000. I have always wanted to visit Thailand. I like
Thai food and hear wild fun stories of Thailand. I bet its educational & broadening and all that. Maybe when I talk to my family, they can foot the bill. Hey, its a plan, you know ?

1. Design a Synthesizer, keyboard workstation

Now this is a productive use of your time -- design a Synthesizer, keyboard workstation !
You know what? If I tried hard enough, I'm willing to bet I could come up with a killer design right now.

Let's see…what hasn't been done very much ? How about a special studio
or garage for the Kronos ?

Ozy ? Anybody ?

Smile

Last edited by GregC on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

I don't see "make music with your existing gear" anywhere on that list... Shame on you

I've been playing around with my M3 and an external foot controller -- got enough CCs set up that I'm able to play the effects processor like an instrument. Even a basic B3-type patch (with scanner chorus/vib, OD, wah, and the rotary) becomes a source of some truly God-forsaken noise. This is how I should've scored my last short film...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
I don't see "make music with your existing gear" anywhere on that list... Shame on you

I've been playing around with my M3 and an external foot controller -- got enough CCs set up that I'm able to play the effects processor like an instrument. Even a basic B3-type patch (with scanner chorus/vib, OD, wah, and the rotary) becomes a source of some truly God-forsaken noise. This is how I should've scored my last short film...

are you kiddin' me ? I sold all my Korgs so I can buy a Kronos.

I kept my Rd700GX1 so I can jam on that.

Score a short film ? Maybe I should compose a video game soundtrack
Add that to the list Smile
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, while preparing for the KRONOS:

I will continue making a ton of money off my repair shop, and that wil let me buy some nice studio monitors to enjoy with my triton extreme. and soon, kronos

Save up for a back up keyboard since my kronos wont be used live and i will continue to use the triton. (prolong its life) (sampling into the triton)

Ive been sampling the necessary wont-be-in-kronos waveforms in the triton, as well as writing in the values and what not (even though many will be changed cause im using the kronos's filters and stuff.) mainly the string(s) and the brass (i heard oasys brass first hand, didnt enjoy it as much as the tritons orchestral expansion brass)

also! im doing hard work on my website. Have a huge update coming soon. Many people will not get kronos and still want sounds for the triton/radias, wich i provide, and people seem to be happy with.

oh yeah, and we cant forget about the totally brutal/epic/crapyourpants band im in,
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bloodsteel/166101416752437
weve been hard at work, and we need to get the rest of the songs done before I am stuck in my room for about a year just pushing the kronos's screen.
then ill let my band see it... it will be a surprise!

Also, probably reading hilarious/retarded arguments on this section of the forum, cant get a better laugh then those

(ps, thanks for making a good thread.)

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

I will continue making a ton of money off my repair shop, and that wil let me buy some nice studio monitors to enjoy with my triton extreme. and soon, kronos

Save up for a back up keyboard since my kronos wont be used live and i will continue to use the triton. (prolong its life) (sampling into the triton)

Ive been sampling the necessary wont-be-in-kronos waveforms in the triton, as well as writing in the values and what not (even though many will be changed cause im using the kronos's filters and stuff.) mainly the string(s) and the brass (i heard oasys brass first hand, didnt enjoy it as much as the tritons orchestral expansion brass)

also! im doing hard work on my website. Have a huge update coming soon. Many people will not get kronos and still want sounds for the triton/radias, wich i provide, and people seem to be happy with.

oh yeah, and we cant forget about the totally brutal/epic/crapyourpants band im in,
weve been hard at work, and we need to get the rest of the songs done before I am stuck in my room for about a year just pushing the kronos's screen.

Also, probably reading hilarious/retarded arguments on this section of the forum, cant get a better laugh then those

outstanding band , dude ! MORE keyboard solos. You guys must be into
Dream Theater.

Great work list. A shame you can't help with the emotional drama of some
on this forum. Pure entertainment Smile
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
robbinhood wrote:

outstanding band , dude ! MORE keyboard solos. You guys must be into
Dream Theater.

Great work list. A shame you can't help with the emotional drama of some
on this forum. Pure entertainment Smile

Whoa, it's a a blend of DragonForce and Children of Bodom. It's very nice !

(and no I'm not into DragonForce anymore)
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) work on sunny days and pester korgforums on rainy weekdays.

2) have fun with your wife during long rainy sunday afternoons

3) play your real analogue and everything that Kronos won't supersede anyway

4) learn VAST

5) finally read all lionstracs documents

6) listen to new music

7) ok, I'll stop at 6).

Really, the first 3 would be enough

4 and 5 are serious though, before spending money.
nowtime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

Curious that you think there will some strings from Triton that won't be matched by the Kronos.

You're making me think I should sample some of my favs form my O1w-fd before I sell it/get rid of it (shame). But you think there would be patches in my Extreme worth sampling? (I've only had it 6 months but am soon to sell it).
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about my band! Our new stuff is surely gonna be awesome! Im very into DT but they are not... at all.. haha. BUt there are tons of key solos now. A lot of duel shredding (those are just demos)

nowtime wrote:
Curious that you think there will some strings from Triton that won't be matched by the Kronos.

You're making me think I should sample some of my favs form my O1w-fd before I sell it/get rid of it (shame). But you think there would be patches in my Extreme worth sampling? (I've only had it 6 months but am soon to sell it).

ABSOLUTELY especially for the type of music i play!!! Newer doesnt always mean better, or worse, just different. The 01/W/N364 strings (big strings to be exact) are a very common patch in my type of music. Even when the dude form nightwish got the oasys, he sampled his N364 strings! Its necessary ! haha I mean im sure in terms of orchestral strings, the kronos will have it beat. But im sure it wont have the triton string Ens waveform. if it does... AWESOME! From the extreme, its worth sampling the brass. I dont see any point in selling it, the two will be monstrous next to each other! I dont think ill be selling any gear to fund kronos... I like the mix of both. Ill even keep my rack of gear around 0_0

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Let's face it. Waiting for a Kronos until May 5th or June 5th or July 5th sucks, especially if you too much time on your hands.

So, in the meantime, here are 10 things one can do to occupy your time:

Laughing
Thanks, Greg, very good!
nowtime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Robbinhood

yeah - I love the Big Strings from my 01. No need really to sell that, except where to put it?

The Triton has to go to help fund my Kronos.

Question about sampling a patch, would you sample every note? And any reccomendations for how many seconds to make a string pad sample, for example? And would one velocity be plenty? Any other essential Extreme patches to sample that I might overlook? (pads, strings).
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
yeah - I love the Big Strings from my 01. No need really to sell that, except where to put it?

The Triton has to go to help fund my Kronos.

Question about sampling a patch, would you sample every note? And any reccomendations for how many seconds to make a string pad sample, for example? And would one velocity be plenty? Any other essential Extreme patches to sample that I might overlook? (pads, strings).

Listen to nightwish. big strings all up in that.

thats unfortunate, i would never ever ever sell my triton.

No dont sample every note. a one octve part of a eaveform may only have 2 or 3 samples, you need to have them side by side for the most part to mke sure its going right. like i sample it, make the zone pretty big, then keep going up cromatically until they dont sound the same, then i do the next.
So if my zone is (original pitch=OP)
e2- c3 OP G2 then ide play the keyboard i was sampling and the triton note after note until the triton sounds higher pithced on the same note, then you know the zone needs to be moved from c3 to maybe A2/3 (forgot where the numbers change..)
then you have to loop them, wich brings me to my next point.
If you load up an INIT program, you can play one note on the piano sound, it will only be at one velocity, and you will hear a loop (never will fade away)
All multisamples in the triton are like this, so what you wanna do is find the waveform, load up an INIT program, put in that waveform, then sample each note for maybe 3 seconds. then loop it.

Im probably gonna make a video on it, stay tuned.

Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
How about a special studio
or garage for the Kronos ? Anybody ?

How about a whole house! I was planning to add a music room, but have now made an offer on a new house, and our present home is up for sale. Believe me, that is occupying my time, while I wait . . . !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 11 things to do while waiting for my Kronos:

11. fantasizing about a Roland Kronos or a Casio Kronos
Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for my Kronos Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
GregC wrote:
How about a special studio
or garage for the Kronos ? Anybody ?

How about a whole house! I was planning to add a music room, but have now made an offer on a new house, and our present home is up for sale. Believe me, that is occupying my time, while I wait . . . !

you sold your house because of a Kronos ???

I am impressed
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: