Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FX routing in programs using EXi fixed resources?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: FX routing in programs using EXi fixed resources? Reply with quote

Lately, we seem to be suffering from a dearth of legitimate questions regarding the Kronos, and I can't help but feel that this is somehow connected to the recent unruliness. I actually have a question now, though, so let's see if this helps in any way.

-----

I'm interested in a clarification regarding how FX routing works in programs that use EXi fixed resources. Specifically, do the EXi fixed effects in something like the CX-3 come before or after the IFX? This might be easier to explain with a concrete example, so:

Lately, I've been intrigued by the idea of applying a talk-box effect to a distorted organ patch, for a keyboardist's take on some Tool or Bon Jovi-esque textures. And the M3's talking modulator effect doesn't seem to be doing it for me. The Kronos, however, has the OASYS' vocoder effect, which leads me to wonder how that would actually work.

So, I'd want the vocoder placed in the chain before the rotary speaker (and ideally before the amp/drive).

What's the best way to achieve this? Just slot the vocoder in as an IFX, and everything's A-OK?

Or would I need to disable the CX-3's EXi fixed rotary effect, and instead use the "Rotary Speaker Pro CX" effect as an MFX or at the end of the IFX chain?

If I'm reading the manual right, it looks like the routing goes: EXi fixed FX -> mixer/EQ -> IFX -> MFX -> TFX (and then the set list EQ at the very end, in the Kronos' case). So I would, in fact, need to disable the built-in rotary effect. Any confirmation on whether my reading is accurate?
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can chain IFXs.... so you can have....
program osc->IFX1->IFX2->IFX3........IFX12->MFX->TFX

you can send multiple parts to same IFX, and to any IFX in chain.

KRONOS has very flexible erfects routing....
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
you can chain IFXs.... so you can have....
program osc->IFX1->IFX2->IFX3........IFX12->MFX->TFX

you can send multiple parts to same IFX, and to any IFX in chain.

KRONOS has very flexible erfects routing....

I'm very much aware of that; the M3 works in much the same fashion, except with a more limited number of IFX and TFX slots.

My question, though, pertains to just where the EXi fixed effects (found in the CX-3 and EP-1) fit within this chain. As you may know, the CX-3 has a number of built-in effects (scanner chorus/vibrato, expression, amp, rotary speaker) which do not consume IFX, MFX, or TFX slots.

What I'm wondering is whether any or all of those built-in effects sit before the IFX, or between the IFX and the MFX.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXi effects are part of the program and they would sit before the routing to IFX...
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. However, the CX-3 effects (rotary speaker, tremolo, etc) all exist as separate effects available to the IFX chain. So you could simply disable them in the Program itself, and re-use them as part of an IFX chain. You would, I suppose, be "wasting" the resources in the Program, but nevertheless, it's very achievable, and you do have a lot of effects slots to play with. Smile

jg::
Ashe37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many IFX chains are there?

Is there a real actual Distortion IFX instead of the not-quite-adequate "OD/High-gain Wah" of the M3?
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of chains is variable. You can use IFX singly, in chains of two, three, or more. It's totally flexible.

And knowing if a particular distortion effect can be created is really hard to say yes or no to without hearing an example of what you're after.
jmexio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus!

It seems like you are reading your manual correctly Very Happy

The only thing left in your question is that I seem to remember that the vocoder that will be available on the Kronos will be the same that is currently available on the M3...

I might be completely mistaken, of course, and that is why I post, so that I'll know for sure after you guys comment. Laughing

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmexio wrote:
The only thing left in your question is that I seem to remember that the vocoder that will be available on the Kronos will be the same that is currently available on the M3...

I might be completely mistaken, of course, and that is why I post, so that I'll know for sure after you guys comment. Laughing

Cheers,
Juan Miguel

I was originally going to respond that the M3 doesn't have a vocoder -- that's the RADIAS -- but, upon checking the manual, it seems you're correct.

The M3's vocoder is just a double-size effect, rather than a single-size, which might have been why I missed it. Now to wrangle up a mic...

Incidentally, this right here is one more excellent reason to upgrade to the Kronos. Not only do you get many more effects slots, additional effect types, and some synth engines that have built-in effects, but if it follows the OASYS in this way, all effects are single-size. As someone who loves to use effects in the mixing process, it's like a dream come true.
jmexio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

You'll actually find a couple of programs that use the vocoder by default, can't remember where, but they are the last or close to last programs that come by default with the M3, just after the brass bank I would guess, but you should check that out for yourself... Never used them, by the way Smile

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: