Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowtime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme Reply with quote

I am a 6-month owner of a beautiful Triton Extreme. Before that I rocked an O1w/fd for 17 years. The more I play the Extreme, the more I love it and of course will be sad to see it go in the name of the K. When I first started playing it I couldn't find an E-piano as good as the O1. Lately I've been having more luck but still remember the O1w being tastier in that department (I should do a side by side comparison, but this is a low priority right now). Same story with the morphing spacey pads. Don't seem as good on the Triton. Everything else I like better. I'm tickled pink that I've heard some good things about the E-pianos on the Kronos, but the verdict is still out: all I've heard is the Herbie patch, if memory serves, on a recent video. It would be sad if the O1w E-pianos were more usable than the Kronos! I'm a big fan of the mellower rhodes sounds, not the tiney sounds. As far as Pianos, I'm for sure going to be in seventh heaven with the Kronos Very Happy Gonna sound nice in tandem with my Virus TI2 Very Happy and I am really excited to try Karma. I was disappointed at first that there is no arpeggiator ( Exclamation ) but perhaps I will like Karma even better. Haven't looked into it yet, don't know if it does sound morphing as well as rhythmic morphing.

I'm curious in general as to how how the Oasys compares to the Triton EX. I really never gave the Oasys the time of day because of the price factor, and so I know nothing about it except what I've read here in the Kronos threads. How do the pads compare? How about the electronic/dance/hiphop bass,drums,soundFX? How about Organs, mellotrons, misc keyboards? Does it have totally different engines than the Triton? I've read such great things about the EX on these forums, which fueled my lust to get one. Does the Oasys inspire similar reviews of awesome vast soundbanks and endless treasures or is it more of a Producer/Arrangers type keyboard. Does anybody own both (other than Ozy)?

In reality I will be going from a 1991 workstation to a 2011 workstation within a 9 month period. Cool. Cool Life is good.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no comparison. feature and engine wise. the oasys KILLS the Triton extreme. and the kronos murders both!

SONICALLY is a different story. some brass in the extreme can kill the oasys.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
I'm tickled pink that I've heard some good things about the E-pianos on the Kronos, but the verdict is still out: all I've heard is the Herbie patch, if memory serves, on a recent video. It would be sad if the O1w E-pianos were more usable than the Kronos! I'm a big fan of the mellower rhodes sounds, not the tiney sounds.

This kind of comparison is always a problem because as I've mentioned in other threads, most synthesizers and romplers have a few unique characteristics, even within the same family of instruments. Such as the Triton Extreme having real tubes in the output stage, for instance.

While KORG have been pretty good about including many of the waveforms in past instruments, some end up being replaced for whatever reason. On occasion, these omissions are sorely missed, if these missing waves are fundamental to a patch you like. For the most part, the filters are far better in the later KORGs, but they do sound different too. This causes people on occasion to lament how some piano pad just doesn't sound as good on a new KORG as the old one they have or had, and I'll mention pads below.

Electric pianos will be far more authentic on the KRONOS, but if you're used to a few EP patches on the 01/W, that may be tough to recreate depending on the parameters the 01 uses in the patch. It sounds as if you still have your 01, and if you do I'd suggest you hold onto it because there will be a small handful of things it will do that nothing else will. This is why I still have my old Ensoniq SD-1, even though it's even more of a dinosaur than the 01.

Quote:
I'm curious in general as to how how the Oasys compares to the Triton EX.

robbinhood no doubt nailed it. KRONOS most likely makes any Triton sound cheap and small, while having just about all the same waves, far better filters and effects, and a synth engine that's much clearer and likely more expressive.

Quote:
How do the pads compare? How about the electronic/dance/hiphop bass,drums,soundFX? How about Organs, mellotrons, misc keyboards? Does it have totally different engines than the Triton?

It has a much higher definition sound engine and output electronics, so pads should be out of this world awesome. Since the K should have just about all the waves from the Triton EX, the same kind of pad patch should sound way better. And this is just using the HD-1 engine, similar to the one in the Triton but supersized. You still have three complete VA engines in the AL-1 modular synth, MS-20 and PolySix VAs to play with, and then there's MOD-7 as well for FM textures nothing else can do, and possibly even the STR-1 physical model synth.

There should be so many electronic/dance/techno/hiphop/etc patches in there that you get lost in them, as these styles are all the rage, and those should be a breeze to get with the MS-20 and PolySix engines by themselves.

Organs, Mellotrons and vintage keys should be there by the boatload. Heck, you get a full blown CX-3 with actual drawbars to play with, and no doubt a gob of organ patches in all styles. Plus it has its own Leslie effect in the engine. There are supposed to be a lot of Mellotron and vintage keyboard and synth patches, since many users are proggers like me. And with all the effects available in the beastie, you should have a wide selection of Mellotron sounds from pristine to grungy and worn out. And from what I understand, many Mellotron patches stop after eight seconds or so, just like the real deal.

Drums sound absolutely huge from what I've heard, and a lot more than we have on the Tritons. And many of them seem to be sampled with acoustic ambiance, or use a drum engine in which this can be dialed in, not sure about that though. But apparently, there's something extra the KRONOS offers, like the numerous tweaks you can do to the piano engine to fine tune your piano patches.

Quote:
Does the Oasys inspire similar reviews of awesome vast soundbanks and endless treasures or is it more of a Producer/Arrangers type keyboard.

It's both. Synthesists and players, like me, will be in heaven. But sound designers and song producers, like me, will be too. Wink

Quote:
In reality I will be going from a 1991 workstation to a 2011 workstation within a 9 month period. Cool. Cool Life is good.

Most definitely. Although I'm fairly current with an M3, I'm looking forward to being blown away myself.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
There's no comparison. feature and engine wise. the oasys KILLS the Triton extreme. and the kronos murders both!

Excuse me?!?!?

You a little naive here or what?

The Kronos IS the Oasys, but just updated.
Same engines.
Same DAC's
e.t.c.

So how would you consider that the Kronos can murder the Oasys?
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
robbinhood wrote:

Excuse me?!?!?

You a little naive here or what?

The Kronos IS the Oasys, but just updated.
Same engines.
Same DAC's
e.t.c.

two more engines
patch remain
those are three very big things, its a better keyboard, theres no arguing that.

THE OASYS IS A LESSER KEYBOARD.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime -

You're comparing of Triton Extreme's pianos to Krono's is pushing it - surely the Kronos will be jaw-droppingly good for all of that?

That said, I ageee that the Triton Exteme 88 is a realy beautiful instrument in its own right. It just came out at the wrong time and didn't quite capture the imagination. But I tried one a lot and even though I had the OASYS, there were many aspects to the Triton Extreme not on the OASYS that brought me to within an inch of buying one. There were many exquisite programs and combi's I'd love from it. It's arpeggiators are fantastic (and Karma doesn't quite offer that sort of arpeggiator instanteous response); that valve really does add warmth, and then it has access to the legacy of tens of thousands of Triton programs, expansion sample boards, MOSS, Stephen Kay's Karma software, and so on. A very capable and deep package indeed if fully expanded.

So I agree - a Triton Extreme is a beautiful instrument for making music - it actually feels like a quality, earnest instrument and it will remain on my target list when 2nd hand prices make it a keen choice.

But to get back to Kronos - it really is in a different league altogether w.r.t to pianos, organs and all round (but that only makes the Kronos even more stunning and take nothing away from the Triton Extreme (one of the most underated workstations of this time IMO)).

Kevin.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:

You can carry it. Laughing
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
THE OASYS IS A LESSER KEYBOARD.

The OASYS has phantom-powered XLR inputs and an (optional) ADAT interface, which the Kronos does not. Not to mention double the number of analog ins/outs and a more expensive control surface (current-setting LED meters for faders and knobs; bigger, tiltable screen; physical chord/drum pads).

(On the plus side, it looks like the Kronos is keeping the OASYS' front-mounted headphone jack. It's a minor detail, but I never liked having to plug my phones into the back of the M3, and then having to figure out how to route the cable so as not to interfere with the keyboard or joystick. But I digress...)

Look, I'm as excited about the Kronos as anyone, but calling the OASYS a "lesser" keyboard is a bit rich. The Kronos is better in some areas, the OASYS is better in others.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
I like how KRONOS uses the SAME DAC's as the OASYS at half the price! So your not gonna miss a thing, sonically.

It's good to hear that Korg didn't cut the price on componants that contribute to the sound quality.

Could someone at Korg please confirm that no cost compromise has been made on the output stage (downstream from the DACs) between Oasys and Kronos?
zahush76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Organs, Mellotrons and vintage keys should be there by the boatload.

As someone that changed his mind from getting the Nord stage 2 to getting the kronos - i should say that i'm not sure about the "boatload" part. The kronos indeed comes with a "vintage keys" expansion (and that's on top of the cx-3 and ep's). But from the explanation of rich f on the several videos, it seems that on the mellotron "side of things" you get strings, choir and flutes.
That seems maybe like the most famous sounds - but surely not worthy of the title "boatload". In this departement, i must say it's probably not as comprehensive as the mellotron\chamberlin library of nord.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

KRONOS' HD-1 engine has faster LFO's than the OASYS, There's a dedication Drum Mode in HD-1 that does NOT exist in the OASYS which turns HD-1 into a "Drum Synth," if you will and you STILL have Single or Double mode! NICE!

I'm not sure what else they added or improved on, but I think there are a few more.

Sina

8 velocity zones per oscillator vs 4 on the OASYS.

Busch.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowtime -

Back to your original question - as a TR-EX owner and having some experience with KARMA (owned) and 01W (owned), I can tell you that it appears that the Kronos will give you the same feeling of having stepped through the looking glass as you got when you traded up to the Extreme from the 01W. Teasingly familiar, but strange, new and exciting.

And yes, it's completely different from anything you've worked with before. The OASYS / Kronos architecture is a generation deeper / more sophisticated than Triton's. If you consider just the drum machine features of the Triton-EX arps (~100 patterns) vs. ROM drum patterns, Karma drum patterns, ability to write or import user patterns, step sequencing, etc. on the Kronos -- you begin to see how much that's going to change.

The set-list feature's going to make it a great live tool.

Just the sound is going to make it a great studio tool.

The features stacked on top of the base fresh-out-the-box playable sounds make it a viable long term board. I got flack on a previous post for saying it would be the last keyboard I'd buy in my playing career (at 55), but when you (like me) own a board for 10 years or more (as I have the 01w and triton) that's not a far fetched or particularly depressing prospect.

Even if you don't program...
Even if you don't sequence...
Even if you don't sample...

... there will be enough substantive differences, enough new engines, enough sonic quality, and enough potential to keep you happily working at it for years.

I know I anticipate getting one, for many of the same reasons you cite.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
synthguy wrote:
Organs, Mellotrons and vintage keys should be there by the boatload.

from the explanation of rich f on the several videos, it seems that on the mellotron "side of things" you get strings, choir and flutes. That seems maybe like the most famous sounds - but surely not worthy of the title "boatload".

Well, that's why I said:
synthguy wrote:
There are supposed to be a lot of Mellotron and vintage keyboard and synth patches, since many users are proggers like me.

I meant the term "boatload" in the sense that there are probably a ton of patches available in all those categories. Like I doubt that there are a "boatload" of Hohner Clavinet or Pianet patches, but a useful number should be there.

There's a reason that the strings, choir and flute are the usual Mellotron instruments available: the others are a bit lame. I can't remember the last time I heard Mellotron brass, though I know Tony Banks used it on Watcher of the Skies. Maybe Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard fame uses them, but I'm unaware of it, or say of anyone having ever used Mellotron sitar. Wink However, I'm sure that Nord isn't the only source for Mellotron sounds, since Michael Pinder has been pretty good about sharing his master tape library. Besides, you can usually fudge it without too much trouble using filtering, sample rate manipulation, grungifying effects and the like. In fact I have some nice "Mellotron" violins I use to this day which I programmed on my Ensoniq SD-1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: