Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radiation tainted Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
peter_schwartz wrote:
I think we can agree on "crude, but effective".

Peter, please don't take it from me as a personal offense at all - but I think exactly THIS is what must be stopped. Exclamation

What exactly must be stopped then?

OK? Or is there something more to be read into what I wrote? I'll answer that question for you... Since I'm the one writing the words you're commenting on, I think I'm in a much better position to judge what they meant than you or anyone else.

Peter, maybe I misunderstood you.

Still, I think discussing about how "crude, but effective" the atomic bombs were, here and now, especially in these cruel days for Japan, is something like... (I can't find the appropriate word, but I think you understand). Looks like a kind of cynicism?

Maybe I read more into what you wrote or I missed something. I'm not a native speaker. But I think your words might be considered offensive by other foreigners, too - our fellow members or readers from Japan, for example.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(why bother)

Last edited by peter_schwartz on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is exhausted according to Godwin's Law:

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] which has become an Internet adage.

It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[3][2]

Given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope— someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.

Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form.

The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses.

It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[5] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.[6]

Wink
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a native English speaker and have to say that I find "crude, but effective" in the context of a killing machine whilst perhaps technically accurate is rather tasteless and unnecessary.

The word 'effective' in this context suggests that the purpose was to kill as many Japanese people as possible.

Given the monumental distress and hardship these people are having to go through just now, I just don't think there is any need or justification to go into past territory that is somewhat outwith the reasonable realms of a keyboard forum.

This is what despair looks like (I think it's one of the most desperate pictures I've seen) - it's one thing to have it happen because of nature - it is quite another to have it happen throught man's intent to efficiently kill.

Wonder how her day is going today? How about yours peter_schwartz?

peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about not over-reacting, over-reaching, and actually reading what I wrote in response to Akos? Hey, there's a novel freekin' idea -- actually reading.

I also think it's worth mentioning what an honorable thing it was for you to do to attempt to (poorly) make your point by capitalizing on the misery of that poor woman.

Here, I've quoted if for you:

peter_schwartz wrote:
Last I checked, Akos, synthguy and I were discussing his characterization of the effectiveness of the atom bombs used in WWII. And after a little back and forth, I took synthguy's last comment at face value. He's talking about how modern nuclear weapons are more "efficient", in a manner of speaking. I'm going to take his word for it that that's a fact. So yes, those bombs were "crude". And "effective" in the sense that they did what they were intended to do, horrific -- almost unspeakable -- as it was.

The part in bold. Did you read it? Horrible and unspeakable. That means nothing? Guess not. You're content to simply react, look for a picture of someone else's misery, and shove it in my face as though it has anything to do anything. Real nice.

And as for Ozy, I just saw a block of his usual over-reactive gibberish that had the word "Nazi" in it. Another nice one!
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter,

pipe down.

seriously.

you're making an ass of yourself
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozy, you are the pot calling the kettle black, aren't you?
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try calming down, and try reading the posts before commenting them.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be thick because while I agree the thread has basically gotten off topic, it's been a friendly debate. There's no name calling, religion or region bashing, and nobody has even used all caps yet. And to be honest, the OP is a legitimate question that I'm sure many are asking about this and other products. There's been some real intelligent discussion about product safety and nuclear half lives in here...

Let it run it's course.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the debate is looking more friendly and understanding each day.

sarcastic mode off ...
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least now Korg users have something they always envied to Yamaha users:

Motifator-style debates Wink

McHale wrote:
a nice debate, Let it run it's course.

jemkeys25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys,guys, calm down,

I wish kronos would get here.
Apresmidi2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Postponed Reply with quote

Kronos was scheduled to be out here in Japan April 9, but now postponed to somewhere in May.

Japanese government is considering issuing a certificate saying that the certified product is not produced/manufactured in the areas affected by Fukushima radios. Of course, the cert relies on the statements from producers/manufacturers themselves. Aside from that, since most of importers from Japan require radio tests before shipment, most of exporters are trying to do that in vain - no such facility to accommodate every exports. This could result in choking up Japan really, no substantial export being made from here. Kronos could be one of those. Check with Korg people here.

Whatelse to report.... In Tokyo, water tastes like containing something I do not know, but I am still living. We do know the water is already contaminated (though very mildly) and we have hour to hour/day to day report from Metropolitan Governor about the degree of air and water contamination. So we are living with radios and it would continue for another 5 to 10 years, according to what experts say.

Unfortunately, plutonium was found at the site. So there is high possibility of the reactor being cracked (another possibility is leak from joints of pipes). Enormous amount of very highly contaminated water was found from the underground and tanks around reactors. I had a fear that they would dump that massive water (like 10,000t) into the ocean, but seems like Japanese are a bit more sensitive people - now they are talking about using old tankers to contain them.

There is no immediate prospectus to end radios. Sorry for that.

You guys figured out if Kronos is assembled in Japan? In Inagi? That is the first question to be solved.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Postponed Reply with quote

Apresmidi2010 wrote:
In Tokyo, water tastes like containing something I do not know, but I am still living.

I can give you some fact from personal professioanl knowledge, which will male you feel a but safer.

CERTAINLY water will taste bad after an eartquake and a tsunami. Hundreds of people have died, and their bodies have not yet been retrieved. Thousand of people still live without efficient sewers ihn the most affected region. Rescuers who could have contracted infections move back and forth from the disaster region to Tokyo or Osaka.

In those circumstances, the risk that groundwater is infected by bacteria MUST be addressed on a pre-emptive basis, no matter how far your town is from the real events. People move and carry bacteria with them, so you basically protect the whole island.

Then, the rescue agencies will CERTAINLY have added disinfectants to the water supplies all over the country.

That can taste really bad, and you won't like drinking clorine for years,

but it's definitely better than cholera.

So, bad taste of city water has no relation to radiation. It's just a sign that risks are been managed,

so I'd be reassured, not alarmed, by it.

Best wishes, be strong.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Apresmidi2010,

Thank you for first-hand report. I wish you and your family all the best.

Hungary has a good relationship with Japan. I have nice personal experiences with Japanese, too, from the past and also the present. I've been there already.

My thoughts are with you.

Best regards,

Akos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: