Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radiation tainted Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Postponed Reply with quote

Apresmidi2010 wrote:
You guys figured out if Kronos is assembled in Japan? In Inagi? That is the first question to be solved.

I'm not sure if it was Dan or Rich, but I can clearly remember that it was stated in this Forum that Kronos will be manufactured in Japan.
I knew that Korg have their headquarters in Inagi. Is that also where the factory is located?
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Postponed Reply with quote

Apresmidi2010 wrote:
Kronos was scheduled to be out here in Japan April 9, but now postponed to somewhere in May.

Japanese government is considering issuing a certificate saying that the certified product is not produced/manufactured in the areas affected by Fukushima radios. Of course, the cert relies on the statements from producers/manufacturers themselves. Aside from that, since most of importers from Japan require radio tests before shipment, most of exporters are trying to do that in vain - no such facility to accommodate every exports. This could result in choking up Japan really, no substantial export being made from here. Kronos could be one of those. Check with Korg people here.

Whatelse to report.... In Tokyo, water tastes like containing something I do not know, but I am still living. We do know the water is already contaminated (though very mildly) and we have hour to hour/day to day report from Metropolitan Governor about the degree of air and water contamination. So we are living with radios and it would continue for another 5 to 10 years, according to what experts say.

Unfortunately, plutonium was found at the site. So there is high possibility of the reactor being cracked (another possibility is leak from joints of pipes). Enormous amount of very highly contaminated water was found from the underground and tanks around reactors. I had a fear that they would dump that massive water (like 10,000t) into the ocean, but seems like Japanese are a bit more sensitive people - now they are talking about using old tankers to contain them.

There is no immediate prospectus to end radios. Sorry for that.

You guys figured out if Kronos is assembled in Japan? In Inagi? That is the first question to be solved.

Apres,

Thank you for taking time to report what's going on with yourself and with the situation in Japan. Curious, what part of Japan do you live in?

Take care and all my best to you.
Apresmidi2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Tokyo, pretty nearby the center (Imperial Palace), it is walking distance if you call walking for 60min a walking distance. About 5km from the Palace. If you heard about Tokyo Dome (stadium with ceiling), I live close to that place.

Tonight I saw light rain.... Tomorrow water contamination must be worse than today.

My wife collects bottled water.... use them to steam rice and make miso soup. I say it is ridiculous, but about my son, it is no joke. She drinks ready-to-drink coffee (canned or bottled) while I make my coffee as usual.

I am a heavy drinker and smoker, so I do not have legitimate reason to worry about radios myself. My habits are worse than radios to the extent of risk of cancer.

I just came back from bar(s). It is 0:45. I am fairly drunk.

Good night, everyone.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Apresmidi. I have an idea of where you are located, having been to Japan myself several times. Thanks for mentioning ready-to-drink coffee. "Coffee in a can" was one of my favorite things to drink while there. There were so many varieties to try!

All I can offer are my hopes that the situation gets better.
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apresmidi; I'm here too. In Akita. What you're tasting In the water (other than the iodine, if you can taste that) is the carbon that's being put in the water. It attracts the radiation and pulls it down. We also look for bottled water for our three ur old and my pregnant wife. It's really cool that gov is being so straight forward IMHO. If you don't believe me Che k out the mext site.
As far as "on alert America," I say boo. Where is that rock'n'roll spirit I witnessed when growing up? Everybody is scared of ___. Fill in the blank but you get my meaning. Don't get wrong it sucks and I think we as humans must move forward at constant (if not excelling) pace. Find alternate sources of energy.
What Americans should truly be worried about now is the class warfare that has been ongoing among the rich for years. OR keep dwelling on the force fed news stories that come up the line all the way to the biggest idiot. Who reports with such fervor and venom that people are compelled to watch. In other words, if you want to live in America, you better believe the hype and try oh try to seem unintelligent and unaffected while caring way too much about your non existent immortality.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immortality is just fine. Wink

But about America, there is a huge divide, but mostly it's between the workers and the whiners these days. I'm praying that the whiners are too caught up in grouching on message boards that Obama let them down, while the rest of us try and fix the system so our kids have a future. Especially one that's not buried in debt.

I don't know exactly why, but I'm feeling euphoric these days. I don't think it's because of the keyboard order I made, and it sure isn't my annoying, boring, sucky guvmint job. I'm hoping it's not just because my life is blessed more than I deserve, but because America is waking up like it did in the 80s, then roared ahead in the 90s. I'm also hoping it's because Japan will awaken from this disaster, and after a short struggle, will roar ahead once more.

I pray for Japan periodically, and have a feeling that things will look better with the coming spring. Be safe, and keep looking forward to tomorrow.
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama let us down. Ok I'm going back to my trashcan house now. But seriously, I have yet to develop a liking for Obama as a president, not to say he's doing a bad job but he is just so stiff. Plus, I thought he was pro-weed, what happened?
I hope everybody's Kronos are radiation free. But if you're truly worried. Put on gloves, open the box, change gloves, take out synth, finally throw box gloves and clothes away and you should be clear. Seriously, it's not like they make synths in japan anymore, so why worry. And they don't make them outside, in the rain or with the tap water. If you are really worried, I'll be happy to inspect it for you for a six month period. I'll even pay return postage Wink
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Postponed Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
Apresmidi2010 wrote:

I'm not sure if it was Dan or Rich, but I can clearly remember that it was stated in this Forum that Kronos will be manufactured in Japan.
I knew that Korg have their headquarters in Inagi. Is that also where the factory is located?

The main factory in Japan is located slightly inland from Tokyo, in Fukaya (Saitama Prefecture).
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^oops^^^^

I still wouldn't worry. Do you smoke, use a laptop, use a phone, drink Alcohol inexcess, work in an airport, close to phone tower, like getting tans, etc....? If so you are already getting lots of radiation already or at least harming the body on a chromosomal level. But again if you're worried I would be happy to take one off your hands.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, boys. You already know that your Kronos is Atom-ically powered; it'll just sound like there's a nuclear power plant under the hood. But please use common sense when you bring it online, lest you blow the roofs off your domiciles and propagate concussion waves nationwide.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those curious, we Americans now have trace amounts of radiation in our milk supply...

The theory is that it's not enough to really be of concern but I would prefer to have NONE instead of ANY.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-fgw-japan-radiation-milk-20110331,0,3004424.story
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
For those curious, we Americans now have trace amounts of radiation in our milk supply...

The theory is that it's not enough to really be of concern but I would prefer to have NONE instead of ANY.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-fgw-japan-radiation-milk-20110331,0,3004424.story

The milk in question measured at 0.8 picocuries of I-131 per liter.

The Japanese government has, in the short term, banned sales of milk produced in the immediate vicinity of Fukushima, since measured levels of I-131 were up to five times the legal level. The measured amount was 1500 Bq/kg, which if I have everything straight is equivalent to....40,540 picocuries/liter. That would be about 50,000 times more than in the American milk sample!

Tokyo tap water recently measured at about 5,400 times the level of I-131 as the American milk. That was within safety levels for adults, but twice that allowed for infants - but according to one source (below), even infants drinking that water for an entire year would have only minimal additional radiation exposure, less than 1/3 of what they'd get from normal background sources.

So, the amounts measured in American milk are quite tiny.

We're really good at measuring radioactivity, even at levels that are far, far below the point at which they make a difference to human health. Radioactivity is certainly a matter for serious concern when levels get high - but it's important to understand what "high" means.

My favorite comic, xkcd, has a great chart on relative radiation dosages:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Citations:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20268-nuclear-crisis-how-safe-is-japans-food-and-water.html
http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/radiation-activity.html
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20268-nuclear-crisis-how-safe-is-japans-food-and-water.html
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/03/whats-the-current-radiation-threat.html

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh brother!

This whole thread = paranoid Americans + one or two Germans.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Thank you, thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you, Dan, for posting actual information. Odd that this subject matter is required on a synth forum, but whatev.

And no true geeky forum would be complete w/o an xkcd link. Cool
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Oh brother!

This whole thread = paranoid Americans + one or two Germans.

Re the Americans, now we really have reason to be paranoid with people like you in far away places coming right out and saying that you THINK we're paranoid.

Shocked

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: