Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about the construction quality!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: What about the construction quality!? Reply with quote

I was browsing on youtube, and I've found this video, my question after watching this: doesn't look too cheap? ALMOST like the M50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJEmxgCFng

Regards
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's built quality is very high quality, and very typical of what I expect to find in a KORG flagship Workstation. It feels extremely solid to touch and I wouldn't have any fears of throwing it in the back of a trailer for a life on the road gigging.

Feels real good.

Regards
Sharp
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to fyi, rich has commented regarding the keybed in that video that it's a prototype version where the actual keybed was loose after some cruel experiments Rolling Eyes , I would expect the keybed(and surroundings) quality to be sturdy as the M3 since its the same keybed

Edit: heres the post: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=378062#378062

guillex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
It's built quality is very high quality, and very typical of what I expect to find in a KORG flagship Workstation. It feels extremely solid to touch and I wouldn't have any fears of throwing it in the back of a trailer for a life on the road gigging.

Feels real good.

Regards
Sharp
\

Thanks for your Reply! And about that I have a doubt, do you have a kronos to confirm that? Congratulations!
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
Just to fyi, rich has commented regarding the keybed in that video that it's a prototype version where the actual keybed was loose after some cruel experiments Rolling Eyes , I would expect the keybed(and surroundings) quality to be sturdy as the M3 since its the same keybed

Edit: heres the post: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=378062#378062

Not sure what the "roll eyes" is all about, Jon, but any quality company is going to test-ship their gear before they sign off on the packaging design and so on. I can personally attest (though I can't comment or offer details) as to the nature of the "cruel experiments" on the prototype that Rich F. mentioned. And despite the torture, the prototype performed flawlessly upon power-up even though it suffered a bit to prove the point. Shocked

Smile
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy of the fact that the kronos 61 is only 27 pounds, what would you want it built out of, plate steel, I had the triton le that weighed only 17 pounds, and it was solid as can be, my lightest keyboard right now is my m3 at thirty two pounds, and i'm looking foward to losing the 5 pounds, i have no dobt the kronos will be solid, and kick some sonic ass.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guillex wrote:
Thanks for your Reply! And about that I have a doubt, do you have a kronos to confirm that? Congratulations!

Sharp attended Winter NAMM and was able to spend some time with a Kronos.

If you have concerns about build quality, then wait until you have a chance to demo one in a store.
guillex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
guillex wrote:

If you have concerns about build quality, then wait until you have a chance to demo one in a store.

Good that he been there! Lucky!
I will wait till kronos will be here (july), but I can't speak about that in the meanwhile???
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guillex wrote:
MartinHines wrote:
guillex wrote:

I will wait till kronos will be here (july), but I can't speak about that in the meanwhile???

Many of us regulars trust Sharp and respect his experience. Plus I have owned several of Korgs flagship workstations since 1998 and that history
counts.

Based on the above, I would not entertain ' doubt ' based upon some youtube.

You are free to speculate but that is strictly your call.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Not sure what the "roll eyes" is all about, Jon, but any quality company is going to test-ship their gear before they sign off on the packaging design and so on. I can personally attest (though I can't comment or offer details) as to the nature of the "cruel experiments" on the prototype that Rich F. mentioned. And despite the torture, the prototype performed flawlessly upon power-up even though it suffered a bit to prove the point. Shocked

Smile
I have no doubts on korg, think i hit the wrong smiley button Smile note to myself: Don't write on forums while you are semi-sleeping .
Im looking forward for the lighter Kronos 61 compared to my m3-73 which is killing my back with it's bloody hardcase, gonna switch to a soft one

peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
guillex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
guillex wrote:
MartinHines wrote:
guillex wrote:

Many of us regulars trust Sharp and respect his experience. Plus I have owned several of Korgs flagship workstations since 1998 and that history
counts.

Based on the above, I would not entertain ' doubt ' based upon some youtube.

You are free to speculate but that is strictly your call.

Greg I am not speculating, I had a doubt and I wrote about, in order to Check If other people "feel" the same after watching that video...I Have over 20 years of experience in keyboards, I am not a beginner.

So, Next Time I will ask to all of you If I can ask something in the forum, ok??

Nice democracy...
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anybody come to a forum of experts if they were not willing to take expert advice. Rolling Eyes

Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
mrk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you wrote
guillex wrote:

At least for me it sounded a little like saying
no one wrote:
I don't think you could test a Kronos yourself, so you have no clue what you are talking about.

That interpretation might have been incorrect, but maybe GregC read it the same way as I did? So I guess he was just defending Sharp's creditability, but I do not think he wanted you to not write about doubts you might have.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After viewing this you tube video, I'd say the Kronos appears to be of standard quality construction, typical for this level of keyboard. With a little care I would expect this to last many years, with little degregation of control surfaces.

At least I will not rub off the test on the buttons, like the M3, (my up & down buttons are completely blank at this point.)

I would expect to find missing fade knobs after one of this units sits in Guitar Center a few weeks. (I believe there must be knob collectors out there who steal knobs off of demo models in the stores.)

I can't wait to get my hand on one of these bad boys. I am opt'ing for the 61 key model as I perfer the synth action, like on the M3, I find the action on the SV-1 is only suitable for electric piano sounds, at least in the way I perform on the keys.

A special note to some.......it really does not matter how many years of keyboard experience you have, we'll all just have to wait to get our hands on one, to truely have a feel for construction quality, and longevity.

I have 25+ keyboards in my studio, (ranging from the M1 through the M3, with a few Roland/Yamaha keys through in for good measure) and well over 30 years experience playing synths/keyboards (from wulitzer elect, Rhodes/moogs through M3, XS & Fantom G)

Every new product out there is always a new experience, Both in physical feel and the emotions stirred up from the sounds and features.

Interestingly enough I have had some Korg problems over the years, my microX over heats, The display on my Radias is flakey. And then again my M1, which is older than some forum members, still works like the day I purchased it, (not counting the memory backup battery)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: