Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"KARO GOES KRONOS"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. They probably copied & pasted the extra velocity ranges, so instead of 4, they made 8 Smile
Easy A-B-C.

Yes, yes, same quality (if not more expressive because of the velocity range)

But theres no programs there taking advantage of the extra engines, or using some samples from the extra EX's that the Kronos offers above the Oasys. (this is my speculation)
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Ok. They probably copied & pasted the extra velocity ranges, so instead of 4, they made 8 Smile
Easy A-B-C.

Maybe that's not needed either because Korg claim OASYS programs can be directly loaded (= without modification) into Kronos.

Hedegaard wrote:
But theres no programs there taking advantage of the extra engines, or using some samples from the extra EX's that the Kronos offers above the Oasys. (this is my speculation)

Most probably, yes. Those programs will follow later, I guess.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Mick wrote:
So that means you got access to a Kronos prototype ?

Kronos can play any OASYS program or Combi. The prototype is the OASYS. Very Happy

Jive Talking Robot wrote:
A question about loading a Kronos up w/ your PCG banks... On the Motif I can only over-write certain user sound banks. But from what I understand, Korg is far more flexible... is it true I could overwrite any program with another program?

Yes, Factory banks can be over-written, just like User banks.

synthguy wrote:
Oh, by the way... any word on a user ram upgrade for The K? Wink

When the OASYS was released, the OS only supported 1 gig of RAM, even though there were instructions for RAM upgrade in the manual. Soon after, an updated OS was released, which supported another gig.

Kronos' Atom processor supposedly supports 4 gigs, but the unit comes with 2 gigs. You will know the answer when it comes out. Either it will have a slot for RAM expansion or it won't. If it does, you can probably expect an update.

Akos Janca wrote:
I wonder why optimization was needed at all.

If Kronos is 100% compatible with OASYS then it also means I can simply load my KARO OASYS sounds in Kronos, not?

DavidB nailed it - some KARO libraries are a bit larger than Kronos' available RAM. (You might have noticed that the "Grand Pianos" libraries are absent from the list.) What would be "optimized" is the size of the library. Having an OASYS and a Kronos is like having 2 OASYS units. The sample utilities should be the same (save for the new SoundFont compatibility). If you have enough RAM, you should be able to load your existing collection.

"If" a RAM update happens, this will all be moot. No optimization necessary. (notice how big the "if" is.) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: