Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using software samples on a KRONOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
videorov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Using software samples on a KRONOS Reply with quote

Will it be possible to use some of the sound software on the market like
is on the soundsonline site. I like the Master of the Silk Road stuff.
Would I be able to load that into the KRONOS and use it too. Maybe
call it up with a assigned button.
I thinking of buying a KRONOS but want to make sure I can do the
things Im thinking of doing.
Trying to understand all the things I would be able to do with that
workstation.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider that when you buy the KRONOS, you're buying an instrument that already comes with a ton of its own samples. You aren't just buying an instrument, but it has a load loaded on it.
Just like when you buy a sample pack, they sometimes come with a packaged or specially designed virtual instrument.

I see the package you mention says it has 25GB of samples. So you wouldn't be able to load the whole thing at once - the KRONOS has 1GB of user sampling space and that is when you unload all of the probably pretty useful expansion sample libraries that are on it first.

I'm not sure exactly what those samples packs are designed to be played by, but the chances are the multisamples are not going to be in a format which can be loaded straight into the KRONOS. you could of course convert them to a format which KRONOS will import.

Still, I think you're missing the point somewhat. Like asking "will KRONOS run NI B4 II?". The answer is No, because it doesn't load windows or mac virtual instruments because it isn't a PC. However it has its own Hammond organ 'virtual instrument' kind of thing built in.
From what I've read in the last few minutes, Masters of the Silk Road is based around a virtual instrument interface which includes some complex scripting to probably achieve certain articulations. You won't get any of that to transfer to the KRONOS. Only the actual raw waveforms, provided you can even access them in a format that you can load.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
videorov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Using sample software Reply with quote

This is whay I have been considering a StudioBlade by musiccomputing
which could load any sound database no matter how big. It has Terabytes
of storage.
Ive been thinking about going to full software system keyboard like a musiccomputing StudioBlade. But I wonder
if I will be able to switch patches seamlessly like can be done on a Fantom and the new Korg KRONOS.

KRONOS this way
The MDS (Multi-Dimensional Synthesis) technology eliminates the transitions between velocity-switched samples, and does away with the unnatural behavior of looped samples.

Fantom G8 handles it this way
Managing and switching between Live Sets is intuitive and seamless thanks to the new Patch Remain function. There are no abrupt cutoffs or glitches when switching between sets. Any effects or sustained notes in the set you're switching from will continue to ring out after you make the change.videorov

I want the best system that can do it all.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, all I can say is consider that in buying the KRONOS you are buying effectively nine software instruments and the dedicated hardware that it runs on, with a unified interface that will just work together without any fiddling or having different ways of doing the same things between the different instruments.
That includes 12GB of on board samples and all the top-quality programming of the patches and combis that use them and the other synthesis engines on board.

I'm not sure about the point of your quote of MDS (multidimensional synthesis). That is a technique used specifically by EP1 to give very responsive electric piano sounds.

KRONOS does have patch remain. They call it Smooth Sound Transitions. It means you can switch from one sound, or song, or combi, to any other, and the notes will ring out. It also has Set List Mode which lets you have a grid of programs/combis/songs on the screen which you can page through to select them by one touch instantly whilst playing.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
videorov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Bring sounds and songs combis etc in automaticlly Reply with quote

Is it possible to have sounds setup so they will come it when get to
diffrent parts of a song so I don't have to reach over to hit a button.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring sounds and songs combis etc in automaticlly Reply with quote

videorov wrote:
Is it possible to have sounds setup so they will come it when get to
diffrent parts of a song so I don't have to reach over to hit a button.

you can use a pedal to step thourgh them in set list mode.
Have you not watched any of the demos?

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viderov -

Re: button free changes.

You've specified an automatic change as part of a song -- so you play with tracks, no? (only way I can think of to even want or expect a different sound to pick itself automatically)

If you do then there should be a way to define what a given midi channel is doing and what the patch is, even without note data, so you could record a blank track with program changes, and play that track over the sequence, which would change at specific song parts.

You might need to be in edit mode to do it, but I think it should work to just play along with the sequence. You just have to be on the corect channel to realize the patch changes.

------------

... or buy 2 kronos.

... and when did pushing a button to select a patch become such a chore?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Using sample software Reply with quote

videorov wrote:
This is whay I have been considering a StudioBlade by musiccomputing which could load any sound database no matter how big. It has Terabytes of storage.

The MusicComputing StudioBlade and OpenLabs Neko ARE keyboards with Windows PCs inside. Therefore, what you can do on your computer can be done on them.
videorov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: KRONOS Reply with quote

I haven't seen all the demos. I will take a look and see if one talks about
using a pedal to step through the sounds.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a pedal to step through sounds on almost every other Korg workstation. I'd be surprised if the KRONOS does not feature it, especially as the OASYS does too.
I'd also be prepared to bet that you can use a pedal to step through Set List mode but there's been no demonstration of that yet AFAIK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: