Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan B, what would it be?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

I'm having nightmares about Kronos. What if Kronos turned out to be alot more expensive then expected, so that you couldn't afford it. What if it wasn't good enough and didn't meet the hype and expectations. If you needed another keyboard, and there was another alternative for you out there. Which keyboard would it be?

Thanks Smile
T7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
What if it wasn't good enough and didn't meet the hype and expectations.

What hype? The Kronos is an updated Oasys at a bargain price. Cool
TRIaXOR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we dont know the prices here in euroland we cant judge how much of a bargain it actually is, lol Laughing
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or what if it's delayed?

In my case, my plan B is what I'm plunking on in between surfing, a Kurzweil PC3. A fantastic instrument, and the only one remotely comparable to the KRONOS. An alternate would be the cliche Yamaha Motif XF, or the KORG M3. Another possibility is the Roland Fantom.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for my interest in Kronos, is The MOD-7 mainly. Easy hands on FM synthesis. I don't know what other hardware synth that brings modern FM synthesis to the market. I'm hoping, since yamaha released their first FM synthesizer (GS-1) on the market in December 1981, I hope they will release a new FM synth this year. I doubt it, but I can still dream. I don't know at this moment, what could replace Kronos. On the FM side, I think Nord Wave is the best alternative. On the rest of the functions, I would bet on the Motif, or Nord Stage 2. I might become a Nord player if the Kronos fail me. Smile
T7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
The reason for my interest in Kronos, is The MOD-7 mainly. Easy hands on FM synthesis. I don't know what other hardware synth that brings modern FM synthesis to the market. I'm hoping, since yamaha released their first FM synthesizer (GS-1) on the market in December 1981, I hope they will release a new FM synth this year. I doubt it, but I can still dream. I don't know at this moment, what could replace Kronos. On the FM side, I think Nord Wave is the best alternative. On the rest of the functions, I would bet on the Motif, or Nord Stage 2. I might become a Nord player if the Kronos fail me. Smile

MOD-7 was a very big selling point for me as well..Wavesequencing and all the other goodies didn't hurt either.

Last edited by T7 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
T7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIaXOR wrote:
As we dont know the prices here in euroland we cant judge how much of a bargain it actually is, lol Laughing

Sorry to hear that.

Lucky for me, I live in the States and pre-ordered a Kronos at a very reasonable price. Laughing
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
The reason for my interest in Kronos, is The MOD-7 mainly. Easy hands on FM synthesis. I don't know what other hardware synth that brings modern FM synthesis to the market. I'm hoping, since yamaha released their first FM synthesizer (GS-1) on the market in December 1981, I hope they will release a new FM synth this year. I doubt it, but I can still dream.

Yamaha's CP-1, which I own is an amazing FM-Based EP and Digital Piano in one unit. It's one of THE BEST keyboards I have ever owned which compliments my OASYS in ways I can't even begin to explain. Mr. Green

So if your looking for an FM equivalent of the GS-1, it's the CP-1. Very Happy

Sina

Exactly how deep is the FM on CP-1? Is it possible to program a FM sound from scratch?
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
The reason for my interest in Kronos, is The MOD-7 mainly. Easy hands on FM synthesis. I don't know what other hardware synth that brings modern FM synthesis to the market. I'm hoping, since yamaha released their first FM synthesizer (GS-1) on the market in December 1981, I hope they will release a new FM synth this year. I doubt it, but I can still dream.

Yamaha's CP-1, which I own is an amazing FM-Based EP and Digital Piano in one unit. It's one of THE BEST keyboards I have ever owned which compliments my OASYS in ways I can't even begin to explain. Mr. Green

So if your looking for an FM equivalent of the GS-1, it's the CP-1. Very Happy

Sina

Exactly how deep is the FM on CP-1? Is it possible to program a FM sound from scratch?

It's Basic FM Programing. It's NOTHING like the MOD-7, hence why I compared it to the GS-1 and not the huge sought-after DX-1 and even with the DX-1, there's STILL no comparison, because of how far ahead MOD-7 is from anything else out there.

But it sounds amazing!

Sina

It's a relief that Yamaha haven't abandoned FM completely.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan B?, Don't you mean Plan 9 from Outer Space?
T7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Which keyboard would it be?

Considering your interest in FM, if it doesn't need to be a keyboard, make the Yamaha FS1R and an iPad with MIDI Touch your plan B. I love mine.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I'm having nightmares about Kronos. What if Kronos turned out to be alot more expensive then expected, so that you couldn't afford it. What if it wasn't good enough and didn't meet the hype and expectations. If you needed another keyboard, and there was another alternative for you out there. Which keyboard would it be?

Thanks Smile

if I were you, get a triton
Smile
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V Synth would be a good choice... or Yamaha XP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: