Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan B, what would it be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CP-1 is not a programmable FM synth. I used to own the CP-1, but no longer.

The FM "engine" has FOUR tones. That's it. All four are cliche EP tones. You cannot build sounds from scratch.

You can change: Overall envelope decay/release, attack timbre, release tone and oscillator detune. That's the extent of the programmability.

Busch.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

T7 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
What if it wasn't good enough and didn't meet the hype and expectations.

What hype? The Kronos is an updated Oasys at a bargain price. Cool

What I can add is: OASYS was good enough and did meet the hype and expectations. If Kronos is similar you don't need plan B. Wink
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

T7 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
Which keyboard would it be?

Considering your interest in FM, if it doesn't need to be a keyboard, make the Yamaha FS1R and an iPad with MIDI Touch your plan B. I love mine.

Needs to be a keyboard with hands on knobs and buttons for FM programing. Touchscreen works also. Razz
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
T7 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
What if it wasn't good enough and didn't meet the hype and expectations.

What hype? The Kronos is an updated Oasys at a bargain price. Cool

What I can add is: OASYS was good enough and did meet the hype and expectations. If Kronos is similar you don't need plan B. Wink

That gives me a thought. I Wonder how the Oasys's second hand prices will be. IF the Kronos was much more expensive then expected, I would think it wouldn't meet the expectations. Razz
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I'm having nightmares about Kronos. What if... What if ... If...

1) what keyboard are you using today?

2) can it survive a month or two more?

3/a) if 2=yes ---> wait, sleep peacefully, and re-evaluate in two months

3b) if 2 = not ---> fix it with duct tape and go to 3/a
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan b is quite simple -

before the Kronos was announced I was ready to buy a Fantom G6 (to replace my Xp30 & XV5050) and an M3 (to replace my x5dr!)

I've also bought a V-Synth XT in the meantime.

Also got a Wavestation AD and SY77 (+ both FM7 & FM8)

So while I will be disappointed that I don't have a Kronos, I'll have more kit.....

M3s and Fantoms are a good used option right now.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
robinkle wrote:
I'm having nightmares about Kronos. What if... What if ... If...

1) what keyboard are you using today?

2) can it survive a month or two more?

3/a) if 2=yes ---> wait, sleep peacefully, and re-evaluate in two months

3b) if 2 = not ---> fix it with duct tape and go to 3/a

Everything is sold. All I have now, is a Mac Pro 3.1 with logic pro 9, two Screens, and a Custom shiny studio desk, custom made for Kronos 73. Smile

My point here is. If Kronos goes for 8000$, Polyphony is terrible after all, and suddenly taken of the market before being released. I would like a second option. And I've got some ideas here already. I can replace the Plan A (Kronos) with a Plan B (One or more keyboards). Smile I would like suggestions on a Plan B Keyboard/s And if others got a plan B I would like to hear it. It's a very open thread Very Happy.

I must say that Clavia disappointed me this year with an Electro 3 HP with a slightly different Keybed. IF they made a Nord Modular G3, with total integration identical to Virus TI and a huge front panel with tons of knobs and buttons, I would have all the FM and other synth flexibility at my fingertips. Would be a perfect plan B. But no... Electro 3 HP... SIGH!
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
My plan b is quite simple -

before the Kronos was announced I was ready to buy a Fantom G6 (to replace my Xp30 & XV5050) and an M3 (to replace my x5dr!)

I've also bought a V-Synth XT in the meantime.

Also got a Wavestation AD and SY77 (+ both FM7 & FM8)

So while I will be disappointed that I don't have a Kronos, I'll have more kit.....

M3s and Fantoms are a good used option right now.

Now that is what I call a Plan B. Smile

I had SY77, I loved its spec and flexibility, but the user-interface....no I couldn't. I got it second hand with no backlight on the display (defect) and a defect floppy drive. I exchanged the display with an unoriginal blue backlight display and bought a new floppy drive and sold the keyboard for less. Worst deal ever! :X
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Everything is sold

Already?!? Shocked

And you are NOT playing at all, while waiting for the Kronos?!?

ouch... Confused

Well, get a used 01/w prox 88 [400 euros], at leat you'll keep your hands and ears trained.

robinkle wrote:
a Custom shiny studio desk, custom made for Kronos 73.

I see.

I don't want to add to your nightmares, but...

... what if the delivery was delayed because Korg is heeding to its clients' requests, and releasing a 76 keys, which won't fit into the shiny new customized desk? Laughing Twisted Evil Razz

On a "serious" note:

if you are so HOT about the Kronos, go for a cheap used Oasys, imho. Selling it will not be a problem.

At least you'll train on a similar OS, and will build patches that the Kronos will accept.

What's the point of spending months on a totally different keyboard,

for somebody like you who obviously is looking for a do-it-all workstation?

Multiple synths are for people who want... peculiar, different sound machines (I am one of them).

If you are into the kronos as a concept, what's the purpose of becoming a 7-synths man for 3 months?

Then going back to a single workstation?

Just buying then selling cables and rerouting mixers will bankrupt you.

Oasys.

[not MY plan B, but sounds correct for you]
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got nothing to play on at the moment. But I'm not in desperate need. I'm using a finger Trainer to keep my hands in shape. Razz

I'm taking my chances on the Kronos size. Smile

Didn't find any Oasys out there. I think the Owners would have to drop the price drastically when Kronos comes out, so I might not get a good deal if I sell it when Kronos is released.
Thanks for the advice Very Happy
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Got nothing to play on at the moment.

I'd rather kill myself.

(How? Oh, I'd probably play a GAIA and get chocked by my own tears)

robinkle wrote:
I'm using a finger Trainer to keep my hands in shape.

nice.

May i also recommend:

or the modular analogue version (monophonic, of course)

or, best, the good old fashioned hammer action wooden keys:

RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice would be a Prophet 08 for the analogue, upgrade my DAW and get some VSTs (can anyone recommend any? FM08 for example), that plus a decent audio interface and still change out of £3,000..... Hmmm, not a bad idea (and I could buy all of that this week)

Isn't it interesting that after Roland blew everyone away at Musikmesse with the Jupiter 80, Korg completely failed to inform the Europeans when we might know about prices and delivery dates, that all the new threads are about how pissed off we all are and what we would buy instead of a Kronos.

I think that many of us are in the end of relationship denial stage (which I posted about a couple of weeks ago)....

Anyway, a new thing to put in your diaries, the next issue of Sound on Sound comes out in the UK on April 21st - they are giving a review of the Kronos (I guess that Gordon Reid is doing it - he did great reviews of the M3, Oasys and some of the kit that will be in the Kronos - he alone through these reviews is the person that makes me feel that the Kronos will be massive) - so its possible (although going on Korg's current form unlikely) that at least estimated prices could be mentioned. Since Sound on Sound is published 4 miles from where I live I may pop in and ask if they are going to (i) publish prices or (ii) mention how annoying it is for Europeans not being told what they are. But maybe Korg think that bad press is not shameful anymore...
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
But maybe Korg think that bad press is not shameful anymore...

I heard from a reliable source that they hired away from Tepco their PR manager, Dan Nial.

So they may be readying some big counter-information maneuver.

Here's a recent press conference of the guy (nice tan for an Irishman btw. And, on a technical note: look at the huge array of vocoders)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s27Oq5ot0ZI
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos = to much money till next year but I am going to get a new set of keys yet this year. I am tossed up on the mopho keys or the little phatty. I really like the LP but keep thinking I could do a mopho keys and slide a LP in also or do a LP and slide a mopho box in. So it comes down to $ for me. LP 1299 and maybe a mopho 399 or Mopho keys 799 and slim phatty about the same. I also don't know that either would be to redundant once I do get a Kronos. Might actually complement things nicely and leave me with a good travel companion which a 88 key Kronos wouldn't excel at.
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I am tossed up on the mopho keys

keep away from it. friendly advice.

Speaking: a man who owns two prophet08s and loves their sound, and owned and liked both the tetr4 and the mopho module. Mopho key is a failed product.

Go for the mopho module + controller, imho

or: add a mopho to yout workstation. Choose a midi channel, keep it for the mopho, and be happy.

LP and SP: totally different machines, at different (higher) price.

Build quality of the LP is 3 times better than the mopho-key's.

Modulation routings of the mopho module are excellent though.

All of this totally subjective, just an opinion.

Except my disappointment with the mopho-key build quality and reliability: that's a fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: