Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan B, what would it be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ozy truth is I much prefer the looks of the LP but I do like the tones of both. I guess my plan B will be a reality in a few months! Hello LP and Kronos tax time next year! Ah 10 months to go. Crying or Very sad Course it might only be released by then. Shocked
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
after Roland blew everyone away at Musikmesse with the Jupiter 80,

That's really overstating it a bit. While some were indeed impressed by the new Jupiter... from what I've read on various music forums, nobody is canceling their Kronos orders.

Roland has brought several disappointing products to market over the years. I want to actually play the Jupiter-80 before making any judgments. It just doesn't seem to offer as much to me as the Kronos will.

Sounds Good
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
after Roland blew everyone away at Musikmesse with the Jupiter 80

Let me guess, RKfan means you're a Roland Keyboard fan?

There's so little buzz about the Jupiter 80 it's like it's already another failed discontinued Roland product. The demos were horribly boring with just playing a few combis saturated in effects. I was waiting for a RichF like video explaining all the new features it has over other Roland products as well as other keyboards out there. I was waiting for a run down of what features it actually has. All I got was a few combis that sounded like my Triton running Karma software. I'd take my M3 over the Jupiter 80 ANY day of the week.

The only thing overwhelming was the fact that Roland had the nads to call this ROMPLER a Jupiter and mimic the color scheme of a truly classic synth. And typical Roland, the price is WAY overpriced for what it is.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Close - good guess but wrong Reply with quote

R - is Roland

K - is for Korg

Notice I ain't called RicKY... (although will admit to still having a QY20 - not sure the JP or Kronos will be easy to put batteries into and use on a plane).

Fan of cool keyboards - and (in my opinion) there are only 2 Japanese companies that I like. - Nowt wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve.

I am also a really big fan of DSI.

I guess that there is little buzz about the JP on the Korg forum just as there has been (recently) a lot less interest about the Kronos over on the Clan, but that kind of makes sense to me.

I look at both sites to pick up a balanced view of what is out there since I am on the market for a new toy.... I hope to buy a Kronos and am not interested in the Jupiter either (although Howard Jones did do some interesting things with it)... As I have mentioned elesewhere, I am interested in the MS20, AL1, Mod7 (a bit less), and STR-1 (for the sounds I will be able to make with them). I am less excited about the Piano, Electric pianos or PCM stuff. The wife even looked in at some old Karma stuff I was watching yesterday (flamenco guitar sort of thing) and thought it was cool.

I dont want to emulate a Violin - even though the video showing off the capabilities SuperNatural was pretty impressive - even the wife and kids had a look. But I dont think the Jupe is for me. I didn't say people were cancelling Kronos orders - but how many orders have been placed in the EU (I think the answer is zero because we CAN'T DO IT YET!). Now some people (I will not be one of them) may decide to spend their cash on an alternative. I thought (from what I have read and seen, rather than something I have imagined or made up) that the JP is both a Rompler and a VA - osc sync has not been mentioned but a mega unison capability has. Remember that the Korg is also a Rompler and VA and does other stuff too.

I think as I said in another post that I am wavering between the Kronos and a P08 (which is a real analogue ... OK plus some nasty nasty digitial stuff in there too, spit, spit), plus software....

My comments about Korg's Musikmesse "Strategy" highlights how the EU customers are feeling.... No news, no prices (nothing to compare its value against) - bit more than disappointed (some might say angry with the local Korg HQs)....

Check out the new threads about "Plan B" and "US being favoured over EU"... there is a lot of pain out there (sorry joking)... (RRRs I was in the middle of coming up with a great baseline which I was about to upload into the DAW... seem to have got distracted (again))..

Anyway, last point while I am ranting away.

Why would RichF waste his time telling us what the Kronos does over the Jupiter 80? They are completely different machines. I would rather learn about how to use the Kronos. The new piano video was really good, I cant wait for in depth demos of the other engines.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I meant I was waiting for a RichF LIKE video from Roland - detailed, thorough explanations of the ins and outs of the keyboard. Roland needs to hire someone like Rich to assist them with their videos because they could have the greatest product in the world look like crap with a bad video. I'll never forget Roland's demon girl demo. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lv1Uo5ULQM

Watching the whole thing isn't painful but go to 1:59 for pure entertainment.

EDIT #2: You really need to watch the whole video (or at least from 1:15-ish on) to see why Roland needs help. ALL of the people in that video do the product injustice (I HOPE!).
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).

Last edited by McHale on Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaah - I agree with you there - wasn't the first video released SHT (I thought the German guy doing the sneak preview looked either tired or bored) - Zo its a new keyboard from Roland (yawn).

Some of the other vids have been good - but you are right they could really do something like the stuff Rich as been up to..

Still prefer the K tho.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 am; edited 3 times in total
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sick of MIDI cables and note dropouts and configuring midi devices. Is someone else here like me, who focus on Total integration units only?
T7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I'm so sick of MIDI cables and note dropouts and configuring midi devices. Is someone else here like me, who focus on Total integration units only?

I'm all hardware in the seqeuncing department. Both MIDI and CV. Wouldn't have it any other way.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what! You don't need a B plan...

I saw, tried and heard the Kronos... and it reach any hype or expectation, way better than any other workstation I know.

If it comes too expensive in Euroland, just buy it in US. That's what I will do if they mess up the Euro price.

If it will be delayed, it will still be worth to wait it, there's no competition anyway, and shouldn't happen anytime soon, or at least not before end of the year.

Phil
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Sina has G.A.S even worse than I do, if he has an OASYS and can hardly wait to sleep with his KRONOS. Wink

My PC3 does seem pretty puny in comparison - and darn it, the ribbon controller is bad! Sadness... Confused

But I couldn't pass the thing up with sale prices evaporating, and it is a mini-monster which will inspire me greatly until I can afford The K later on. Still, this was an impulse buy. With my M3 back home, I could have sure used the heck out of it until I could afford the KRONOS, and the PC3 took about an $1800 bite out of my music budget. If anyone has any sort of nice keyboard, or even reasonable synth, I'd think waiting for The K is probably a better idea than a Plan B purchase. Work on your chops, write some tunes - rather than living in a manual for days like I am, and clean out some room for the new arrival.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderweb wrote:
Quote:
If it comes too expensive in Euroland, just buy it in US. That's what I will do if they mess up the Euro price.

So I imagine it's different for every country in terms of the import tax you would pay if you brought the K in the USA and brought it home with you on your flight. Of course you could "forget" to declare it and claim you've had it all along.

What happens if you bought it there but then just shipped it overseas- would a Kronos be inspected automatically in most countries and become subject to an import tax? What if it was taken out of the new box and shipped in a ATA case so that it's not so obviously new?

In that case you could get someone in the USA to buy both the K and a good ATA case and just ship it to whatever country.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you have to officially declare it to customs. I do live in US and Europe, so I can just buy it from my US address and then bring it with me. But even in this case, we still do need to declare it. You can try to "forget" to declare but it's not something I'd advise to anyone.

If you do want someone else to ship it to you, it will be inspected anyway. Everything sent by UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc... is automatically transiting by the customs when it enter in any of the EU countries.

So, you typically need a real good reason to buy it outside of the country you live:

- The brand is not distributed
- The local distribution is too expensive
- You're living on two different countries with two different prices
- You're traveling, gigging, and you don't care where you're buying it from
etc...

The right price for me is when it's balanced and I don't find any need to import it by myself. Take the US price, add the shipping cost, add the VAT and potential additional custom cost, change in local money with the current rate, add 2% for the bank fees... Then let allow a 100-150 bucks margin for local support and manual translation (even if I personally don't care, one could appreciate local language manuals).

That's how I do and that's why I come with a price of 2690-2790 Euros (incl. taxes) for the Kronos 61. Over this price, it will be cheaper to buy it directly in US.

However, local distributors know it and that's why I'm sure they will (they have to) match to the price.

My 2 cents,
Phil
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK- but what about the musician that is shipping their music equipment for a music tour in Europe? Or traveling with their equipment because of the tour. Is there no way to bring in something you already own, even something obviously used, and not pay custom/import/VAT taxes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: