Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

71,000 DX /FM programs in SYX format
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: 71,000 DX /FM programs in SYX format Reply with quote

Hi -

I mentioned before that I'd post the archive of public domain Yamaha Dx/FM programs in systems exclusive format. You can download it at the link below.

There are 200,000 FM programs in many thousands of files, each file readable by the Kronos and each containing 32 FM programs (a DX bank). You will need real patience to go through them and though many are dated, there are thousands of very strong programs amongst them. But of course they are all usable as good starting points for you to then bring them up to date with Kronos / MOD-7 features. In reality there are probably about 71,000 uniques programs. All of the major Yamaha synthesizer banks from their plethora of FM synths are represented in these banks.

I'm able to put them out because they are public domain - you can ultimately find them all at various web sites and buy them essentially free on ebay (usually sellers just charge for media and postage).

You'll also find other programs on the page which you are more than welcome to download and use. There are about 100 AL-1 programs in the file KN_AL-1.PCG which I put a lot of time into - they are all quite traditional polysynth pads and textures and some I'm very happy with. There's another bank (UG0106.PCG) that contains some of those AL-1 pads in earlier incarnation; but there are also about 20-30 STR-1 programs in that bank, many again of which I'm quite happy with and show the strength of STR-1. They contain plucked harp/clav and electric piano type programs. There are also some useful MS20EX and PolySixEX programs in that bank.

Another bank contains about 10 CP80 programs based on the OASYS CP80 sample - not sure if they will work on Kronos. The OASYS CP80 sample is actually quite respectable so these are quite useful.

Finally there's a small sample based bank of Roland VP330 8' Choral Sound. I used samples from a web site offering them free for download. I cleaned them and about every half octave is sampled. I'm actually quite happy with this bank of programs - I own a VP330 and this sampled set do it quite good justice. In fact they have one advantage over the original - individual envelopes per voice (whereas the original VP330 is based on divide-down technology so every new note retriggers the one and only envelope shared among the VP330's 49 voices) where as on the Kronos every note has its own envelope; so it plays better.

All these programs are already made available to OASYS users so they are now all public domain and free for your use.

Here's the link:

http://www.knect.ie/OASYS.html

Regards,
Kevin.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71,000 DX /FM programs in SYX format Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Hi -

I mentioned before that I'd post the archive of public domain Yamaha Dx/FM programs in systems exclusive format. You can download it at the link below.

Kevin -- thank you very much for this!!

Bill
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you must be metal to chase that all down! If oyu weren't you must be now! Did you go through everyone of them? Incredible! Thanks! Very Happy
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!! 200,000?

It it takes me 30 seconds to audition each patch, it would take 1,666 hours. If I spent 8 hours a day, 5 days a week auditioning, it would take nearly 42 weeks just to hear them all.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71,000 DX /FM programs in SYX format Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I'm able to put them out because they are public domain - you can ultimately find them all at various web sites and buy them essentially free on ebay (usually sellers just charge for media and postage).

Eh, not quite... many of those sounds are NOT public domain, and the only reason you can "put them out" is because you have access to the Internet. Just because something is found on the web doesn't make it public domain. There's a big difference.

Oh, and please don't mistake this post for being some kind of personal attack. It's not. Rather, it's a reality check. And I can qualify it as such because there are sounds of mine in that collection that I never gave permission to be put up online, given away, or sold (unless I was the one selling them and reaping 100% of the profit from my work). But alas...
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71,000 DX /FM programs in SYX format Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Eh, not quite... many of those sounds are NOT public domain, and the only reason you can "put them out" is because you have access to the Internet. Just because something is found on the web doesn't make it public domain. There's a big difference.

Oh, and please don't mistake this post for being some kind of personal attack. It's not. Rather, it's a reality check. And I can qualify it as such because there are sounds of mine in that collection that I never gave permission to be put up online, given away, or sold (unless I was the one selling them and reaping 100% of the profit from my work). But alas...

I read somewhere that DX programmers came up with clever ways to leave their "signature" in their work by setting certain parameters to specific values, but I suspect your sounds have their own sonic signatures Very Happy
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could do stuff like set unused (or little-used) parameters to certain specific values, but other than that there were no spare parameters -- none that I remember, anyway -- where you could put in some kind of signature code, per se.

But now that you mention it, and tapping the ol' brain to bubble some kind of digital memory to the surface, I think with the Gray Matter Response E! expansion it became possible to use non-ASCII characters in the names and that would definitely give a signature look to the naming, but I believe that tended to corrupt the programs. And it was bad enough that the RAM cartridges did enough of that on their own Rolling Eyes

Memories... memories... Smile
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter -

I appreciate your point. If you want to PM me to point to which ones are yours, I'll gladly pull them.

However - whatever way these sounds are available, I did not pay for any of them and they have been available from multiple sources for download/ access with out cost. They most certainly did not originate from me - as in I did not pay for any of them. Indeed, Korg even point to this possibility in the OASYS MOD-7 manual (though they do not give web URLs). And - Korg were happy to refer to my link on www.korguser.net for the reason that they understood that my web site represents a convenience only.

In any case, the last thing I want to do is take away from someone else's hard work - so if you require me to remove yours I'll do it gladly. It's a very large data set so even if in months from now you notice any of yours - just PM me and I'll pull them and repackage the zip file and repost. And of course at least you can see I'm posting them without any suggestion of profiteering and am happy to give my own exisitng programs for free use - so there's no dodgy intent on my part - the post here is intended for good will to a commnity I respect and have had great joy to be a part of for the past five years but as said, the last thing I want to do is place someone else's work out there against their will (though as said they are already out there otherwise). In any case, let me know at any time and I'll gladly pull any programs which you developed.

Kevin.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Kevin.

No need to pull them, but thanks for the offer to take time to do so. Those patches have been floating around for years and, well, it just bugs me that people's work can get so easily taken for granted sometimes. As a sound programmer it's just hard to watch that kind of thing take place. And of course it's not your fault that they're available. I just wanted to make the point (in response to what you wrote) that just because things are available on the 'net doesn't mean that they're legitimately up there. And of course, it's not just my work. There are patches from Bo Tomlyn (sp?) and others whose names actually appear in the bank names. I'm sure Rick Stevenson's piano patch is in there too. It had a killer bottom end. More like an electric grand but still astoundingly good.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply. Thanks much.

PS
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well either way, thank-you to both of you (and any others involved)
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin. Why don't you make webpage where Oasys/Kronos and other synth users can upload their own patches and with a small MP3/WAV demo. Get som sponsor banners and make it something for everyone and accept donations for the trouble. I would love to a have a place like that on the internett. Make many categories like Soft Lead, Hard Lead, Sync Lead, Famous sounds, and so on. The Perfect Patch source! Very Happy
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Peter - but the offer will stand - and of course to any other programmers who feel they need their programs removed from this set.

Robinkle - actually there is an archive part to Korgforums so I should probably just put this sound set (indeed all my sound sets) there as a permanent resoucre. I haven't the time for what you suggest - I'm a composer not a sound designer - but anyone who extracts some useful programs could also post on Korgforums - probably the best place for them.

As an aside I do have an idea to possibly release a MOD-7 sound bank in the future for sale. I also own a DX1 and a huge part of it's uniqueness are it's 'performance programs'. So I was contemplating developing a set of Kronos/OASYS MOD-7 programs and combi's based on the DX1. If this ever happens it'll be more than one year away and probably even two (so placement of these sounds here is NOT a promotional tactic!!) - as said I'm a composer and finding the time for sound design is tough (and good programs take a long time to get right). But given that I own a DX1 I thought it'd be nice to eventually try to replicate some of it's capabilities on Kronos. Alas a major feature of the DX1 is polyphonic aftertouch, which incredibly can be applied separately to each of the 6 operators in an FM algorithm; so it gives wonderful per-note aftertocuh control that unfortunately is not available on the OASYS or Kronos. That said, MOD-7 programs have polyphonic LFO's - so it's possbile to affect LFO levels, rates and so on on a per-note/voice level using velocity. Actually if you download my small bank of MOD-7 programs from my web page that I made myself you'll find a few examples where the LFO rate is velocity sensitive - independently for each voice - and is very expressive. Hit one note hard and the LFO rate is fast and even when holding that note, hit another gently and it's LFO is slow. This can only happen on MOD-7 (as distinct from earlier DX and SY synths) because each of MOD-7's 50 voices has it's own set of LFO's (that's more than 200 instances of LFO's per MOD-7 EXi). You can imagine how that might be used for quite intriguing sound design, with LFO's affecting modulating operators only, and where by the per-voice LFO therefore modifies the timbre of a sound on a per-note/voice basis

Anyway back to the SYX arvhive - if you look into the sound banks folders you'll find that many if not most of the programs are organised into folders/files by instrument name - so a lot of sorting is done for you already. Note however that there's quite a lot of replication - i've literally put no effort into managing this archive and simply dip into it on an as-needed basis. Actually, a good port of call for finding the 'bestoff' programs are some of the files with uncategorised names or numbered names as I suspect these were attempts by DX owners to sort the programs too.

In any case; I suspect that if Kronos sells in large nunbers that other sound designers will release great new programs for MOD-7; and now you have a permanent archive of DX programs which can reside on your HD ready for inspection whenever you want; and as said before, to use as handy starting-points for making new programs of particular instrument types even if you're not an expert on MOD-7. For example, you could pull up an old DX electric piano that sounds quite basic and raw but with all the vital FM programming already done. The all you have to do is apply normal Kronos voice modifications to it; including quite sophosticated realtime-controller changes, Kronos effects and so on and you'll have a thoroughly modern program before too long.

Finally - note that Korg's OASYS MOD-7 Presets will be loadable into Kronos, and these, plus the hundreds of extra MOD-7 programs released for OASYS by Korg and surely new Preset bank for MOD-7 on Kronos; means that this synth engine is incredibly well supported (probably more than any other synth engine in history!). Korg and their selected sound designers really know how to program MOD-7 - their programs go FAR beyond DX programs - so you can expect to have hundreds and hundreds of truly excellent and modern programs from Korg alone for MOD-7. It's a mighty synth engine and Korg have definitely put their best foot forward on it - you'll have no shortage of stunning sounds for it.

Kevin.
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Kevin. My idea is good though (I think) A web designer should make a Patch database page like that for everyone with any synth in their studio.

In the other hand I look forward to MOD-7 too, more then any of the Kronos Engines. And it's by far the best FM synth on the hardware market. I think FM8 is the only comparable FM instrument, but is a VST/AU synth.

In order to get to know MOD-7, I will probably make high quality Bank myself and upload it here. Smile I will use my unused "The Complete DX7" Book by Howard Massey, and have som fun! Very Happy
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
In order to get to know MOD-7, I will probably make high quality Bank myself and upload it here. Smile
Cool!
We will have 200,032 progs for the MOD-7 then. Shocked

Just a simple question: how will you make sure your sounds differ from any of the 200,000? Laughing
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
In order to get to know MOD-7, I will probably make high quality Bank myself and upload it here. Smile
Cool!
We will have 200,032 progs for the MOD-7 then. Shocked

Just a simple question: how will you make sure your sounds differ from any of the 200,000? Laughing

I will make a signature in each patch. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: