Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release velocity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldascanio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Release velocity Reply with quote

Dear Dan:

I've read in a recent interview that you mentioned Release velocity implemented as part of the new pianos and electric pianos.
Is this done via MIDI in the same way as Velocity and Aftertouch? Can it be used as any other modulation sourse to modify ie. release time, portamento time,etc to modulate the way the sound will continue after the key is released?
If yes...Is this characteristic already implemented in the programs included in Kronos? (other than the pianos)
Is it available for any of the engines or just for the Pianos at the moment?

Best regards...
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Release velocity Reply with quote

ldascanio wrote:
Dear Dan:

I've read in a recent interview that you mentioned Release velocity implemented as part of the new pianos and electric pianos.
Is this done via MIDI in the same way as Velocity and Aftertouch? Can it be used as any other modulation sourse to modify ie. release time, portamento time,etc to modulate the way the sound will continue after the key is released?
If yes...Is this characteristic already implemented in the programs included in Kronos? (other than the pianos)
Is it available for any of the engines or just for the Pianos at the moment?

Best regards...

Hi Leo,

Release velocity is transmitted and received via MIDI, as well as being generated by the local keyboard. It is currently used only in the SGX-1 and EP-1, dedicated to control of key-off events. I understand that it could be cool to have it available for other purposes as well, but that's how it is for now!

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Release velocity Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Release velocity is transmitted and received via MIDI, as well as being generated by the local keyboard. It is currently used only in the SGX-1 and EP-1, dedicated to control of key-off events.

In which way does key-off velocity affect the sound of SGX-1 and EP-1? Would you say that it is essential, or is it rather a subtle effect? And how are simple note-off events (without release velocity) coming from an external MIDI controller handled?
I am asking because I consider getting a Kronos 61 and placing it above an existing stage-piano. The piano would then send MIDI events to the Kronos. Alas, it doesn't send release velocity.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, even my vintage (!) Korg X5D sent out release velocity. And no, it wasn't mentioned in the MIDI spec!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its not availabe as an AMS source in for example HD1 programs? Confused
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Hell, even my vintage (!) Korg X5D sent out release velocity. And no, it wasn't mentioned in the MIDI spec!

I hadn't known about this before, but it does seem to have been included in the manual! Supported for transmission only, though. To my knowledge, few recent Korg keyboards have supported release velocity in any way. I'm happy that we've been able to add it in the Kronos.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, it IS mentioned in the spec sheet, now I see it! I guess I was looking elsewhere, who knows. Smile

Interestingly enough, N364 spec sheet says it doesn't transmit it. I have a friend with one, I'll make him test it. Laughing

I think that more keyboards need to support release velocity. What the hell, if the mechanism is calculating delta between the key going up and down, why wouldn't it be able to calculate delta between the key going down then back up? Confused

And, especially, you guys should introduce it as an AMS, in all engines. Hell yeah!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: