Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos: want it badly, but do i need one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Kronos: want it badly, but do i need one? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

After trying to figure out if i want to replace my nord stage with a nord stage 2 or a korg kronos - i decided i'm going for the korg kronos, and already pre-ordered the 73 model.

But then i started thinking wether i really need it or not.

To explain:

The kronos sure sounds great.
The thing is, that if i'm being a little honest with myself - the fact of the matter is that since my baby was born, more than a year ago, i rarely gig anymore. About once in a couple of months. I mainly play at home, to myself, and make some music on my pc with cubase 5.

My current rig is a nord stage at the bottom, a poly evolver keyboard on top, and a pc full of goodies (such as komplete 7, omnisphere, trillian, alchemy and such).
So i'm asking myself what would the kronos give me in that context.

The answers i thought of were:
1) First of all - if my computer happens to crash or something, i always have something to play with.

2) I don't have ivory - and i think the acoustic pianos on the kronos are better (or at least as good as). Same goes for the ep's.

Other than that, when only thinking about a home studio context - all the other stuff (hd-1, mod-7, al-1, polysix, ms-20) have their alternatives on the pc, and even better. Komplete 7 alone gives me massive, absynth, reaktor, fm-8, kontakt-4 and the list goes on.

So what i'm asking - in your guys opinion - is this a good move? Or should i take that money and invest it in something that will add or improve the studio, like maybe a UAD card for better proccessing, or a moog slim phatty for adding different analog goodness that the pek and vst's don't give me?

What does the kronos give me, if i'm only using it in the studio?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from an OASYS owner - the answer to your question is 'Yes' !

The question is - does your music deserve the best there is? If the answer to that is yes, then you need Kronos.

(and if the best instrument is good enough for Itzhak Perlman or Herbie Hancock, I'll buy into that approach too - (I need it far more that they do!!)).

Kevin.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you tired of softsynths? I sure am. When these new boards show up I'll probably never use SS again except for Superior drummer and Omnisphere.
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Aren't you tired of softsynths? I sure am. When these new boards show up I'll probably never use SS again except for Superior drummer and Omnisphere.

I think we've reached to a point where computers are stronger (i have an intel i7 based pc, with 6gb of ram), and softsynths\samplers are not what they used to be.
But if you're tired of softsynths - why should al-1 or polysix be any different?

Anyway, i thought of another big plus for the kronos over my current setup: it's a far better midi controller than my nord stage, that's for sure. That aspect of the kronos could make my life easier with cubase and for tweaking some of the vst's.

But as for sound pallette - i'm asking myself what does it add to my computer other than superior acoustic pianos and ep's.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
...except for Superior drummer and Omnisphere.

Ain't that the truth! Omnisphere keeps getting better and better. Wonder if Eric Persing made any patches for the Jupiter-80 or Kronos. Or is he solely focused on his company, Spectrasonics.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
Devnor wrote:

I think we've reached to a point where computers are stronger (i have an intel i7 based pc, with 6gb of ram), and softsynths\samplers are not what they used to be.
But if you're tired of softsynths - why should al-1 or polysix be any different?

Anyway, i thought of another big plus for the kronos over my current setup: it's a far better midi controller than my nord stage, that's for sure. That aspect of the kronos could make my life easier with cubase and for tweaking some of the vst's.

But as for sound pallette - i'm asking myself what does it add to my computer other than superior acoustic pianos and ep's.

The Kronos is not a "soft-synth".
Its dedicated hardware that happens to have software GUI, nothing more.
The software does not "create" the sound, rather it more or less "mixes" it together.
The on board DAC's of the Kronos are unparalleled compared to a PC based "soft synth".
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another OASYS user, I would say no contest against SS!

Completely different sound world - and a different way of working within it.

It also has Karma which you don't get with SS...

If you prefer SS and enjoy working with them, then stick with them. The Kronos is entirely different.

To answer your question about what do you get with the Kronos over SS, I'd answer a new soundworld, different controls beyond your imagination, Karma, permanent grin on your face when you play (O users have had this since 2005!) and, I guess, Korg Kronos Kudos Wink
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
The software does not "create" the sound, rather it more or less "mixes" it together.
The on board DAC's of the Kronos are unparalleled compared to a PC based "soft synth".

So there's a real analog MS-20 in Kronos?

Btw, the DACs in my Yammie N12 are pretty sweet
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:

Your understanding of how the Kronos/OASYS works is 180 degrees different than mine. As I understand it, everything is generated in software: synthesis, FXs, mixing, GUI, etc.

I suspect if one would take the direct digital output from the software-based MS20 and the MS20 onboard the K/O, there would be no measurable difference.

Modern DACs are very good and it's getting harder and harder to be able to claim one vastly superior to another. Those days are gone. The specs provided in the Kronos brochure are very good but are bested by converters by Apogee, Avid, Benchmark, Weiss and others. That's not to say if you took the digital outs on the Kronos and connected it to one of these DACs you'd hear a huge difference. I doubt that you would. Again, modern DACs are very good overall.

Busch.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

Btw, the DACs in my Yammie N12 are pretty sweet

They BETTER be for $1500! That's a SH*T load of cash for a measley 12-Channel mixer that doesn't look any better than a Behringer or Mackie that happens to have Firewire interface!

Sina

SOS's measly review of the N12 is here

It's just one of several I/O devices I like to use that happen to sound great. I have two Yamaha 48 channel mixers linked if I need extra inputs. I haven't run into that scenario yet though Smile
jmexio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:

Your understanding of how the Kronos/OASYS works is 180 degrees different than mine. As I understand it, everything is generated in software: synthesis, FXs, mixing, GUI, etc.

I suspect if one would take the direct digital output from the software-based MS20 and the MS20 onboard the K/O, there would be no measurable difference.

If it's digital, it's all pretty much the same.

General purpose hardware running tailored software or specially built hardware, it's the same. You either program the chip, or you build it to perform the calculations that you need, it's a trivial difference, there always is a calculation or an algorithm behind (and it could be the same).

It is not software vs. hardware, it's algorithms vs. algorithms. It's just a matter of how good they are...

The differences lie in integration, stability, robustness, availability, interfacing, workflow, and a bunch of "unrelated" stuff... Those issues are the ones worth discussing.

And then you need some circuitry to actually move speakers with them, in either case... Hardware comes with the hardware, software doesn't. Wink

But then you're not talking about digital anymore, as you are entering the analog domain...

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
zahush76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure now, i've made the right move, pre-ordering the kronos, and that it'll have something unique to contribute to the studio.

The only thing i'm having second thoughts about is the model.
Again, taking in consideration i probably won't be gigging with it and only use it in my home studio - should i change the order from the 73 model to the 61?
It has it's pros and cons. I'm not talking about what you can or can't play with or without weighted keys. Assuming it's only for studio work - as a controller it'll have some cons. Like when you have samples with key switches for articulation changes. 61 keys might be too short (but then again, take less space). But on the other hand, a 73 key version will leave me about 500$ short...

Opinions?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can honestly say that if anyone qualifies for the doesn't need it's me! I havn't learned to play one yet and this will be my first real keyboard. I'm doing it anyway. I'm on the 61 and 88 list with sweetwater. I'll decide which I'll go with before they arrive but I would be willing to be it will be the 88. I only wish they made a 96 dual combo keybed! HAHAHAHA Laughing Shocked
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one advantage of the Kronos over a combination of soft synths will be the ease of use from a dedicated and consistent interface that is also designed to allow all the components to easily work together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: