Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos ships in July in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
but the term 'game changer' is truly modest!

What is so game changing on it? Basically (except the two new engines) it's 6 years old technology.

Yes, the OASYS was a game changer - but so heavily overpriced that nobody noticed it. But now? Yesterday it was the first time I had a look at Omnisphere... If THAT was in the KRONOS, I'd accept the term. But Omnisphere compared to MS20/Polysix&Co.. well.. eighties vs. 21st century I'd say.

Don't get me wrong on this: Kronos seems to be the best workstation on the market. But only in the workstation market. I think no studio owner would be overly impressed by this, as for studio people there is nothing really new there.

The best benefit seems to be for a live gigging musician. Who was afraid to carry around an O can now carry arround s.th. waaay cheaper and having SST and VMT on stage by just carrying around one unit is, of course, really nice.

But it's nothing new - not if you used some decent VSTs. And speaking of reliability: if you have a system *only* with your music soft on, no network no nothing - just standalone like a hardware workstation - this won't be any less reliable than a hardware workstation (except you bought some cheap computer with defective RAM, overclocked mainboard aso).

I like the Kronos for what it is and I'm seriously considering getting one, but that 'game changer' stuff somehow annoys me, because IF there is something game-changing on it, then it was already done with the release of the big O. (And having more than just sampling on a board is also nothing special.. MOSS.., Motif ES expansions, M3 radias....)

The only game changing I can see here is the marketing. And I have to admit: you marketing guys are stunning! I mean that in an absolute positive way - I really enjoy watching all those videos. Smile

So to all GASed Kronos-wanters out there: no offense & have a nice week-end! Wink
keego

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My purpose built rackmount pc cost around £450 pounds to build and can run any compatible synth I want and has never let me down on stage and is future proof. So I don't think I shall be paying those prices.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I'm utterly confused by these posts - not sure who's debating what. All I was doing was relaying the basic info from DV for your interest and purchase planning.

Any comparisons on my part are trying to give you the benefit of 5 years experience of an OASYS - which has utterly transformed my music life such is the depth of the instrument - and indicating that the Kronos is an even better proposition for a lot less. I'm not looking to debate how good Kronos is - that's already overcooked in a dozen and more threads and you can make you own mind up on that - if you're not convinced by the Kronos quality then there's no pressure on you to buy one. But to me, it's the best there is by a country mile and owning OASYS only convinces me even more that a Kronos will enhance my music massively (in my situation I have two music composing areas (don't ask why!!) - and a Kronos in the 2nd is now on the cards.

As for price - I'm sure Korg want to make it as keenly priced everywhere (I know I gave a sarcastic dig at them in another thread) but in reality they'll no doubt make pricing as consistent as they can and as keen as they can to sell as many as they can (and make a profit which is surely OK too?). The RRP I was given is the raw, new price - surely that will drop by a few hundred quid over the months or with haggling a cash discount?

Kevin
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keego wrote:
My purpose built rackmount pc cost around £450 pounds to build and can run any compatible synth I want and has never let me down on stage and is future proof. So I don't think I shall be paying those prices.

There's no debating the range of synths - even free ones - for computer. But - and it is a major 'but' - you will not get 170 voices from that PC, plus 18 effects processors and 32 channels of EQ, latency free. I own just about every software synth there is and absolutely adore most of them; but with OASYS it's the massive voice count at essentially no (or at least hardware-level) latency that has, more than anything else, won me over. And since none of the OASYS synth engines are a compromise - this is 170 (or at least huge voice counts) with real depth. The thing is built like a tank, never fails, and I never have to think about resources in the same way as I do with computers. It's a breadth of fresh air every time I turn it on in that regard.

To me, computer latency, delay compensation and low voice count issues destroy the spontaneity of music making; and OASYS and Kronos have answered that - for me. On stage, in the studio, you turn it on an in an instant have massive voice count at essentially no latency. There are other systems that deliver that of course I'm not saying OASYS/Kronos is unique in this, but for me these instruments solve this issue beautifully and robustly.

As said - not trying to take away from your system which sounds lovely and surely works for you - but for me OASYS has liberated me from that computer nonsense (though I do continue to use softsynths / plugins of course).

I'll repeat - I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a Kronos - I'm just sharing my positive experience with OASYS and great anticipation of Kronos.

Kevin.
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speechless!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well going on these figures, I'm still looking at roughly £2.8k for a 61 key.

don't want anything bigger, as I've got MIDI, an A80 & KX88..

Shame that it's in July though.....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JULY !!! Evil FFS
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dokido

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2.8 oops
so thats why they never told us
well I saved me some money anyway
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, here's how I got to this speculative price of £2.8K.

comparatively, the M3ex 88 is £700 more than the 73-key.

Apply this to the RRP of the 88-key Kronos, and you're looking at around £3.2k for the 73key.. which isn't far off DangerDave's prices of £3k.

The 76key M3 is roughly £500 more expensive than the 61 key.....

Therefore, a ballpark figure of £2.8k...... ish.

I've saved £2.7k already.....if I walk in anywhere with cash, I *should* be able to get a deal. I'll be laughing if it's less than £2.7k
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 73 notes is light
Kronos 73 is heavy
RKfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really prepared to pay more than £2,500 for a K61???

I think even that is expensive (compared to what the US are being asked to pay).

I would be prepared to pay cash - but I am not prepared to be ripped off just because I live in Europe.

I may be unrealistic but still think that a cash price of £2,200 is what I would be looking for.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, probably yes.

The only reason being is that I was prepared to pay circa £2.5 for an M3 back in January (prior to the Kronos announcement)...

And Kronos is streets ahead of the M3.....

That said, I do have a ceiling that I'm not prepared to pay over, and it is around the £2.7 mark.

But until (a) they land in the UK, (b) Korg UK announce the price & (c) I actually try one, this is all in flux.

I may hear it and think that the price difference between it and say an M3 isn't justified. You never know.
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as fed up as anyone of paying over the odds for things because I live in the UK. Yes, the expected UK prices for the Kronos are a rip-off compared to the US prices. I could think about it like that, and not buy one because it's not fair that Americans can get it cheaper... or I can compare it with the alternatives, and buy it if it's better value for money than its competitors. I'm not saying that I will definitely buy it, but I'm going to base my decision on value for money, rather than comparisons with what others are paying for it elsewhere.
dokido

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my calculations also say £2,85 k for the 61 key
(related to sweetwater prices)
and what I understand is that digial village is the cheap store?
and my upper limit is £2.5k
so that was a long wait for nothing I suppose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: