Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which two keyboards would you use? Kronos and .....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Which two keyboards would you use? Kronos and ..... Reply with quote

Last Fall, Keyboard magazine asked the question on Facebook: If you had to gig with just two keyboards for the foreseeable future, what would they be? I thought in light of the announcement of Kronos it would be a good idea to revisit the question. What would you choose, given that one of them would be a Kronos?

I originally had this as a much longer post because I have a lot of thoughts on it. But instead of being overly long-winded (at first Smile) I'll try to leave it short.

Is it Kronos 88 or 73 on the bottom and something else on top? Or is it Kronos 61 on top and something else on the bottom? Why? For me it's pretty much a given that one keyboard has to be weighted (for pianos) and the other unweighted (for organs, strings, synths). And I think the type of music you intend to play has a lot to do with your choice.

I bring this subject up because I originally intended to get a Kronos 88 for bottom. But since Kronos can probably cover all the needed sounds by itself, perhaps a better option is a Kronos 61 on top and a weighted controller on the bottom. I'm not sure now which Kronos to go with.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos and

Kronos
Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nord stage 2
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 and 61 key Kronos.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll end up with a Kronos 61 and a Motif XS6
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I'm gunna go Kronos and kurzweil pc3 for a start then maybe Kronos and Jupiter-80 when I can afford it! The wait 4 the k is killin me!
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To compliment Kronos with something Kronos doesn't have, there won't be much choises for me then to build a Custom Analog Eurorack Modular synth.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apresmidi2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be OASYS 88 below and Kronos 73 above.

No - too much and not realistic for me.

It would be Kronos 88 lower and V-Synth GT upper (most realistic for me).

Ideally, I would want PC3K8 at the bottom, Kronos 73 in the middle, and V-Synth GT on the top (extravagganza but still realistic for me).

Since this is Korg site, I would like to see Kronos 88 lower and Z1EX upper, cause Z1EX would cover what Kronos does not have.

Last edited by Apresmidi2010 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 61 as the top tier board. The others are too heavy.

For a lighter-than-Kronos weighted board underneath, there are a few I'd look at.

First choice would probably ideally be a Stage 2, for the sample library and knobby synth and some great piano/EP sounds of its own and the cool pitch stick and a nice interface... but although lighter than the Korgs (the Stage 2 88 weighs less than the Kronos 76), I think they're still too heavy.

Next choice would probably be the Yamaha MOX-8. As much as I am anticipating a Kronos, I'm not convinced that its acoustic sounds (i.e. strings, winds, brass) will be as good as Yamaha's, as that has traditionally been something Yamaha has done better. So besides giving me the 88 controller for the Kronos' piano sounds, I think the Yamaha sounds are likely to be strongest where Korg may be weakest, so the two should complement each other very well. It's still a bit heavier than I'd like, but maybe okay. (No aftertouch, though... but of course I'd still have it on the Kronos.)

For very light weight, I'd look at the Casio PX3. I wish I liked it's action a bit more, but it's okay. And it still has enough MIDI control functions (as do the Stage 2 and MOX) that I can set it up so that its own controls will call up sounds for it to trigger on the Kronos. (But no aftertouch, no mod wheel, no expression pedal.)

Another one I'd consider would be a Yamaha P95. Small and light, but not as much so as the PX3. And it doesn't have the others' MIDI control functions, so all the MIDI assignment would have to exclusively be set up on the Kronos side, but that seems plenty workable. The advantages would be that I like the feel of the P95 action more than the PX3, and I like the built-in speakers... the vibrations can be felt in your fingers as you play, making it feel more like playing a real piano. Though to get that effect, it might be a little weird on stage to hear the Yamaha piano sounds coming out of its speakers, while hearing the Kronos piano sound you'd be triggering coming out of your monitors! But it might be fine, you might hardly hear the Yamaha's speakers, especially if you didn't crank them, but you might still get the physical effect. (Like the Casio, it has no aftertouch, no mod wheel, no expression pedal, but also no pitch bend.)

The other very lightweight possibility would be the Nord Electro 3 HP. Compared to the similar weight PX3, it only has 73 keys instead of 88, no pitch bend, and like the P95 option, you'd have to do all the selection of triggerable Kronos sounds on the Kronos itself. But it would provide access to the great Nord sample library and their nice piano/EP sounds. Plus it supports an expression pedal which the PX3 does not. But not having played it, the feel of the action is still a bit of a question mark. (It looks like the MOX has the same action as a P95, so that's probably not really an unknown, even though it hasn't shipped yet.) The E3-HP doesn't give you everything the Nord Stage 2 does by a long shot, but it does give you some of its nicest features in a much lighter package.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary pair are gonna be the Kronos 88 on the bottom, and the Virus TI on top. For certain songs and patches, I'll have the Virus TI be set to an empty patch and have it play a second patch on the Kronos. Since the Virus has one of the best feeling synth keybeds that exists. If you've ever felt one, you know what I mean.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Which two keyboards would you use? Kronos and ..... Reply with quote

double post. sorry.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/

Last edited by apex on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Which two keyboards would you use? Kronos and ..... Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Last Fall, Keyboard magazine asked the question on Facebook: If you had to gig with just two keyboards for the foreseeable future, what would they be? I thought in light of the announcement of Kronos it would be a good idea to revisit the question. What would you choose, given that one of them would be a Kronos?

I originally had this as a much longer post because I have a lot of thoughts on it. But instead of being overly long-winded (at first Smile) I'll try to leave it short.

Is it Kronos 88 or 73 on the bottom and something else on top? Or is it Kronos 61 on top and something else on the bottom? Why? For me it's pretty much a given that one keyboard has to be weighted (for pianos) and the other unweighted (for organs, strings, synths). And I think the type of music you intend to play has a lot to do with your choice.

I bring this subject up because I originally intended to get a Kronos 88 for bottom. But since Kronos can probably cover all the needed sounds by itself, perhaps a better option is a Kronos 61 on top and a weighted controller on the bottom. I'm not sure now which Kronos to go with.

Since the Kronos can handle it all for you... just go 61 key kronos on top and 88 weighted key controller on bottom. (saves lots of money that way...) (or you could reverse it, 88 key Kronos and 61/76 key controller on top)

My choice will be the Kronos on bottom and the Fantom G7 on top. The fantom g7 is the best LIVE keyboard at the moment (in my opinion) and the external control/mixer feature is TOP NOTCH. you can use the G7 to drive certain midi channels/sounds from the Kronos or any other external gear you have. And then there are the great sounds that the Fantom G has to offer as well. Both are romplers... so they overlap in most areas (the Kronos will probably sound better)... but you can create that much more of a thicker sound with both of them...

So for me, Fantom g7 on top and Korg Kronos 88 on bottom. (I currently have the m3-88 on bottom and the G7 on top.)

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurzweil PC3K8 bottom tier, master keyboard. Kronos top tier, slaved. Laughing

Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard to the right. V-Machine (solely for GSi VB3, controlled from Kronos) on the Kurzweil. Cool
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
My primary pair are gonna be the Kronos 88 on the bottom, and the Virus TI on top. For certain songs and patches, I'll have the Virus TI be set to an empty patch and have it play a second patch on the Kronos. Since the Virus has one of the best feeling synth keybeds that exists. If you've ever felt one, you know what I mean.

+1 (just with a Kronos 73 on lower tier)
and yes, same here: the TI keybed still is my favorite synth action keybed as well, and I will play Kronos synth sounds rather from there than from the Kronos 73 keybed.

A Moog Voyager rack will complement that setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: