Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on Sound magazine review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Boot time for the review unit: 2 minutes 15 seconds.

Ouch. Hopefully that can be reduced by not loading all the libraries.

2+ minutes boot time with an SSD???? Is there even an improvement over OASYS with HDD?
I just timed how my PC with SSD boots, and it takes 59 seconds to start it from powered off state and fully load a heavy project with ~20 synths and about 20GB total samples loaded. And that's with fully blown Win7 OS, not optimized for embedded usage, and lots of musically unnecessary hardware to initialize during boot.
What the heck?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Speaking of DX sounds, years ago, and I mean YEARS AGO, I went to a NAMM show in Cal. and saw this DX7 programmer by the name of Bo Tomlin (sp?). He had a set of DX programs that convinced me to purchase a DX5. THey were by far the best FM programs I have ever heard. Don't know whatever happened to him or his company, but to be able to upload those programs into MOD7 would be pure FM heaven.

Bo Tomlyn was THE man when it came to FM synthesis. I remember reading a thread way back that he lives in Colorado at the top of a ski mountain and is completely out of the music business. His cartridges still bring decent $$ on ebay. I wish he'd release ALL of his sounds as a library we could import into the Kronos. I'd buy them in a second (and I never, ever buy sounds).

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
drama1 wrote:
Speaking of DX sounds, years ago, and I mean YEARS AGO, I went to a NAMM show in Cal. and saw this DX7 programmer by the name of Bo Tomlin (sp?). He had a set of DX programs that convinced me to purchase a DX5. THey were by far the best FM programs I have ever heard. Don't know whatever happened to him or his company, but to be able to upload those programs into MOD7 would be pure FM heaven.

Bo Tomlyn was THE man when it came to FM synthesis. I remember reading a thread way back that he lives in Colorado at the top of a ski mountain and is completely out of the music business. His cartridges still bring decent $$ on ebay. I wish he'd release ALL of his sounds as a library we could import into the Kronos. I'd buy them in a second (and I never, ever buy sounds).

-Mc

Bo was the man. I met him at "AAA Swing City Music" in Illinois in (probably) 1985. He was showing off the DX-7 with his sounds and it was a brilliant demonstration.

As Mc said, he seems to be out of the music industry altogether and living in Colorado.

http://manduraallstars.com/mandura_leaders.html

peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words about my sounds. At the moment I don't have plans for creating sound libraries for the Kronos, but I've got some other plans in mind... Smile

As far as your difficulty in understanding how FM works, my bestest advice is to try what I suggested in my previous post: start off with an initialized patch (or one that's pared down to the bare bones), start with one carrier and one modulator, and start listening to the effect of the different ratios of modulator frequencies with a carrier frequency remaining at "1". You don't even have to know the science of how FM works so much as just using your ears. So...

If your carrier is at a frequency of "1" and your modulator is also set to "1", increase the output of the modulator gradually. You'll hear the sound change from a sine wave (the carrier's "native" sound) to something more complex. Then slowly turn the output down to zero. Now you're back to hearing a sine wave. Next, set the modulator's frequency to "2" and repeat the exercise. You'll start out hearing a sine wave but as you increase the modulator's output the sound will become more complex, and with a very different timbre to what you heard previously.

Repeat the experiment with modulator frequencies of 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on.
That exercise should give you a good head-start.

Cheers,

Peter
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the many reasons I wanted to get a PC3 - late Kronos, wanting something with better sound than my aging K2000R, PC3 looking increasingly discontinued, wanting something powerful NOW - is to explore the FM-ish side of VAST. It's been somewhat very gratifying, but mostly an exercise in floundering and frustration. Rather than discreet Yamaha-style FM, you have to jump through hoops and use DIST(ortion) and (wave)SHAPER objects on some sort of raw wave sample, and boy, every step is a shot in the dark, and God only knows what you'll end up with. I often have to tweak an existing patch to end up anywhere near my target sound.

If some of you guys have bad dreams about programming FM parches, you haven't seen a true living nightmare... Shocked Good grief, sometimes assigning controllers to do something as simple as a footswitch to toggle Leslie speed is a migraine inducing struggle.

Fortunately, I'm slowly - very slowly - coming to terms with this monster, but I am SO looking forward to something as simple and straightforward as MOD 7! And AL-1. And... heck, everything!

I do love (hate) the PC3... no, seriously, I do love it, but summer can't get here fast enough. I need me a KRONOS!

As for the SOS article, I'm kind of in-between Peter and Kevin on it. I can sot of understand Kev's side. Poking through the OASYS tutorials, the thing is insanely deep, and considering that there are still keyboard players who couldn't come to terms with a Prophet 5, I have no doubt that AL-1 seems as obscure as FM to many. However, I'm a Peter, Thomas Dolby kind of guy. I'm a tweaker, a sound maker and mangler. The Kronos looks like tweaker heaven to me. I can hardly wait to dive into that screen head first - OUCH! Sad Very Happy
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advice regarding how "deep" a synthesizer can be.

Synthesizers are only as deep as you want them to be.

I'm dead nuts serious about that. Not being smarmy here or, as Kevin very kindly suggested, taking my own expertise for granted. Here's an analogy:

Ever see a 96-input (or more) SSL console? (See this link for a picture). Looks intimidating, right? Well, would it make it any easier for you to know that pretty much every channel is exactly the same? So if you focus on learning how one channel works, you've now learned how all of them work.

If you take the same approach with analog synthesizers you'll have the same luck learning how they work. Forgetting about MOD-7 or STR-1 for a second and just looking at analog synthesizers like AL-1, MS-20, and P6, here's a secret...

They're ALL the same.

OK, I'll be a little less cryptic, but equally as truthful: they all share the same fundamental subtractive synthesis architecture with Moog, Oberheim, ARP, Dave Smith Instruments, the John Bowen Solaris, CS-80, and... well, the list is endless. In short, when you come right down to it...

They're ALL the same.

They just sound different from one another. Some have a greater or fewer number of bells and whistles than others. But they all operate on exactly the same principle, and architecture:

OSCILLATOR--->FILTER--->AMPLIFIER

Now you know the fundamentals of ANY analog synth on the planet. Any one, including AL-1, MS-20, P6, and even HD-1 because it follows the subtractive synthesis principle too. It's just that its oscillators are PCM playback of sampled waveforms and not the simple geometrically shaped waveforms of synthesizers.

And... to a certain extent, now you know a bit more about STR-1 and MOD-7 too, because aside from the unique way in which they produce sound (which is very different from analog synths), they each have a filter and an amplifier too.

Hope that gets some of you to be a little closer to understanding how these things work, especially analog synths, because (repeat after me):

"They're all the same".

Regards,

PS
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're all the same. You know one, you know them all.

That's what my ex-wife used to say.

What? Wasn't she talking about synths?
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Yes, they're all the same. You know one, you know them all.That's what my ex-wife used to say.

your ex-wife says hello.

says she changed her mind
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add modulation to the basic picture (meaning anything from LFO to Mod Matrix)

OSCILLATOR--->FILTER--->MODULATION --->AMPLIFIER

You can easily find that basic layout on the surface of anything from a Minimoog to an Access Virus TI2, including subtractive synthesis softsynths.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I would add modulation to the basic picture (meaning anything from LFO to Mod Matrix)

OSCILLATOR--->FILTER--->MODULATION --->AMPLIFIER

You can easily find that basic layout on the surface of anything from a Minimoog to an Access Virus TI2, including subtractive synthesis softsynths.

Sorry Jim, but that's only correct IF the modulation you're referring to is some kind of waveshaping (i.e., some kind of waveform modulation). Otherwise, modulation does not occur between the filter and the amplifier. At least not in the tried-and-true design of pretty much any analog synth.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I didn't think of the right place in the chain technically, but I wanted the complete picture as you use in on all subtractive synth surfaces.

So I stay corrected and you put it where you want it. Very Happy
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would likely be something like this:

Code:
MODULATION   MODULATION   MODULATION
    |             |           |
    ˇ             ˇ           ˇ
OSCILLATOR---->FILTER---->AMPLIFIER
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Exactly!

Mr. Green
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav would actually be:

Code:
MODULATION<->MODULATION<->MODULATION
MODULATION<->MODULATION<->MODULATION
OSCILLATOR-----FILTER-----AMPLIFIER

Cool Laughing Twisted Evil Razz
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You're limited only by your imagination and the ability to draw diagrams using ASCII characters! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: