Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on Sound magazine review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Sound on Sound magazine review Reply with quote

The May 2011 issue of Sound on Sound has literally just landed on my doormat (I'm a subscriber) and you may all be interested to know they have a lengthy 9 page review of the Kronos... I don't recall them ever dedicating so many pages to a review of a single instrument!

The article states UK pricing "starting from around £3000". The reviewer, Gordon Reid, made the following his closing statement:

Quote:
So while there's nothing surprising about the Kronos - it's an enhancement of existing technology - I'm impressed. I mean... really impressed. I need to lie down for a while.
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sound on Sound magazine review Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
The May 2011 issue of Sound on Sound has literally just landed on my doormat (I'm a subscriber) and you may all be interested to know they have a lengthy 9 page review of the Kronos... I don't recall them ever dedicating so many pages to a review of a single instrument!

The article states UK pricing "starting from around £3000". The reviewer, Gordon Reid, made the following his closing statement:

Quote:
So while there's nothing surprising about the Kronos - it's an enhancement of existing technology - I'm impressed. I mean... really impressed. I need to lie down for a while.

I was looking for Sound on Sound when I was in town earlier today. But only found the april 2011 issue of SOS and the last page was saying Kronos test would be in the may issue. Razz
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewing my eSub immediately. Oops. no May edition online yet. Bummer...
zahush76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound on Sound magazine review Reply with quote

[quote="DaveBoulden"]
Quote:

Isn't this qoute sort of an oxymoron...?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave poor Oxy alone Smile
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers of US magazines are used to reviews that throw out numbers and re-written hyperbolic ad copy, most of the time with very little in the way of critique or complaint. The phrase that springs to mind is called "damning by faint praise" - if a US review doesn't wave flags and throw a party people think it's crappy gear.

SOS is more "veddy Bwitish" in its approach, especially the use of understatement and oxymoronic statements to make it's point; something that may be hard to get at first.

So the out of context snippet may not be the best indicator without a little translation.

"nothing surprising"... well, the technology it uses is after all from pre-existing (OASYS) systems, and does pre-existing vintage sounds (VA, FM), it just does them better and in an integrated fashion using "existing technology" (finally!) rather than something from five or ten years ago.

"impressed ...really impressed" - indicates the previous statement was true. For the reviewers at SOS this is the equivalent of a gushing "f-ing wow! + five stars" from a US mag.

Best indicator is 9 pages... "it sucks" would take a lot less space.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Slovenec

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that SOS generally does excellent equipment reviews along with EM. This is unlike magazines such as Future Music who seem more interested in praising or criticising an instrument based on it's factory sounds!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to eventually reading this review as here in Australia, the latest issues of international music magazines cost a small fortune (as does anything musical in Australia!).... WE GET RIPPED OFF IN THIS COUNTRY!
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much right, Bill. The reviewer compares the Kronos to the OASYS a lot, mainly because he reviewed the OASYS for SOS in 2005, and on the basis if his experience with the review unit, he bought his own OASYS.

In summing up he is very much saying that it is not surprising 'cos most of the technology was introduced in the OASYS, and although the Kronos doesn't share the very high-end hardware finish, it definitely retains the superbly high audio quality whilst at the same time enhancing the features and reducing the price. That last combination being the cause for his needing to go and lie down Wink

SOS is very British, but moreover it is highly respected for it's impartiality and journalistic integrity, you'll find no "advertorials in all but name" in this publication. To put that in context for non UK citizens unfamiliar with Sound On Sound, it shares this ethos with the likes of the TapeOp magazine.
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be getting my copy of Sound on Sound on Thursday when it hits the shops.

This is an excellent tech magazine (I think the best) and Gordon Reid usually does really good detailed reviews. I really should subscribe since I have been an on and off reader since it first came out.

Cant wait to read the article.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound on Sound magazine review Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:

Quote:

No surprises there. Gordon Reid has been singing the praises of the OASYS from nearly every venue he can find. Seriously, you should read his analyses of it that he writes for the "Keyboard Facts" portion of the Keyboard Bible. He positions it as one of the most innovative keyboards of all time, and the most innovative workstation since the original M1.
T7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound on Sound magazine review Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
The May 2011 issue of Sound on Sound has literally just landed on my doormat (I'm a subscriber) and you may all be interested to know they have a lengthy 9 page review of the Kronos...

Can't wait to read it. SOS is a great mag.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it already available via eSub?

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
Is it already available via eSub?

eSub is still on April.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must agree on this - SOS is an EXCELLENT magazine, in my opinion the best out there.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to look at this is that the Kronos isn't vaporware. That's a good thing for us all. Even the haters. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: