Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About RH3 keybeds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify that its POTENTIALLY damaging. I have faith in Korg for this one. Its a huge product launch. But I just wanted to bring awareness to the possibility.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:
Let me clarify that its POTENTIALLY damaging. I have faith in Korg for this one. Its a huge product launch. But I just wanted to bring awareness to the possibility.

People concerned about this issues will have to wait and try those new keybeds first hand, I guess.

Last edited by Davidb on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute.........

Hold on......

I've had a thought.............

Never mind the RH3 keys,How long will the Screen last for...You people should hold off buying a Kronos,just incase the Screen dies!!FFS

Dare I say this thread(like the one in the SV forum) is going to cause more people to be picky than would have previously even bothered about the RH3 keybeds and the minimal people who have experienced issues.

Rest assured,for every defective unit,there will be several thousand happy customers with no problems!!Korg will honour any repairs inside the warranty.

THe SV1 I have does have gaps between keys(which are normally between the last B and first C keys on every octave)woopy do,its a fantastic feel and action irrespective I'm more than happy with the RH3 keybeds so if your getting an improved version whats there to be worried about??

I've not had a problem with the mechanism nor any problems with the spacings,which if it wasn't for the Scaremongering thread in the SV forum,I would have never even thought about..infact I never even think about it till threads like these!

So for those with reservations,make your own mind up when it arrives and if theres a problem your warranty will cover it.the damn thing hasn't even been shipped yet and already there are people fretting over its construction???

Wait....

Hold on...

Is the pitchstick durable enough??? Rolling Eyes
mackbaz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Wait a minute.........

Hold on......

I've had a thought.............

Never mind the RH3 keys,How long will the Screen last for...You people should hold off buying a Kronos,just incase the Screen dies!!FFS

Dare I say this thread(like the one in the SV forum) is going to cause more people to be picky than would have previously even bothered about the RH3 keybeds and the minimal people who have experienced issues.

Rest assured,for every defective unit,there will be several thousand happy customers with no problems!!Korg will honour any repairs inside the warranty.

THe SV1 I have does have gaps between keys(which are normally between the last B and first C keys on every octave)woopy do,its a fantastic feel and action irrespective I'm more than happy with the RH3 keybeds so if your getting an improved version whats there to be worried about??

I've not had a problem with the mechanism nor any problems with the spacings,which if it wasn't for the Scaremongering thread in the SV forum,I would have never even thought about..infact I never even think about it till threads like these!

So for those with reservations,make your own mind up when it arrives and if theres a problem your warranty will cover it.the damn thing hasn't even been shipped yet and already there are people fretting over its construction???

Wait....

Hold on...

Is the pitchstick durable enough??? Rolling Eyes

I'm glad you have a good keyboard, but unfortunately I have had 2 and I am not satisfied. Why in the world would I pre-order something with the same keybed until I have played it to see if the issue is resolved. I could give a rats a$$ about the gaps in the keys, its the clicks that bother me. I'm sorry, but if I am about to shell out 3500 on something I'm not just going to trust the warranty, because the warranty doesn't cover a design flaw. They can't remanufacture a keybed for you.

We have a right to worry about the construction because its already been disclosed that it is using the RH3, which has had issues. Why is it a problem to be concerned? How can we hold a company to quality standards if we just blindly purchase whatever they put out... and sorry a keybed is much more crucial to a keyboard than a pitch stick. If you notice, you don't have one on your SV.

I'm not trying to tell people to not buy the Kronos. I hope its great. As I said before, I am just raising awareness, and suggesting that you have a play on the keybed before you decide. Last time I checked its a pretty good idea to weigh the pros and cons and make an educated decision before you start shelling out cash.
operaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:

I'm glad you have a good keyboard, but unfortunately I have had 2 and I am not satisfied. Why in the world would I pre-order something with the same keybed until I have played it to see if the issue is resolved. I could give a rats a$$ about the gaps in the keys, its the clicks that bother me. I'm sorry, but if I am about to shell out 3500 on something I'm not just going to trust the warranty, because the warranty doesn't cover a design flaw. They can't remanufacture a keybed for you.

We have a right to worry about the construction because its already been disclosed that it is using the RH3, which has had issues. Why is it a problem to be concerned? How can we hold a company to quality standards if we just blindly purchase whatever they put out... and sorry a keybed is much more crucial to a keyboard than a pitch stick. If you notice, you don't have one on your SV.

I'm not trying to tell people to not buy the Kronos. I hope its great. As I said before, I am just raising awareness, and suggesting that you have a play on the keybed before you decide. Last time I checked its a pretty good idea to weigh the pros and cons and make an educated decision before you start shelling out cash.

This is simple. It is people's money to spend as they please. If you feel uncomfortable with the RH3 then you should wait. No one should be judged for buying early or waiting, because at the end of the day it is your money to spend as you please. It is also your studio and your creative workflow. For me personally, I am getting the 61 key, and I have a PC3X for my weighted keyboard and master controller due to Kurzweil's incredibly detailed and thorough MIDI implementation.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan has already said they are using different components,which were probably the parts causing an issue or at least to those few units that were found to be faulty

You've had 2 RH3 keybeds both had issues,why are you contemplating buying another synth with one fitted and just because you had faults doesn't mean everyone else will???but your putting fire amongst the flames of Kronos owners/Buyers who are going to read this thread and have psychological doubts now,simply on this basis alone.When they unbox the first thing there going to do is check the keybed for faults???

Like I've said the RH3 does have gaps,but none that would really see me screaming to Korg its a design fault or I may have a law suit against them for fear of not being able to play the SV because I'm scared of my hand falling into that gap.. Rolling Eyes

I also recall a thread in here some years back where some guy complained about the mechanical noise from the semi weighted keys claiming it stopped him playing because all he could think about when using headphones was the keys were making a clicking noise to some degree,suddenly there were several other replies from owners claiming they had faulty keybeds!!!!Well do the maths!!!!

I see the wear and tear on instruments are as much about how they are treated as it is design flaws,and if Korg have admitted its a design flaw why are they not replacing said components on all units sold.

if it was a car it would be recalled and the design removed from manufacturing seems like Korg are simply just upgrading existing parts not removing a faulty design per se,your just severly unlucky to have had 2 same faults on 2 keybeds given the probability and amount of SV1's made or your simply just picky or looking for issues that don't exist except in your own mind!!!Do you suffer from OCD???or it may have been done during transit

How I see it your simply once bitten twice shy,so why even think about another RH3 unit,your always going to have that Psychological doubt because of your connection with the keybeds bury it and forget it,see what the new units are like but don't pass judgement or sow the seed of doubt,I suspect many Kronos buyers never even seen the SV forum thread about the RH3 beds anyway so were perhaps none the wiser

I've owned 30-35 Korg synthesizers since 1989 those bought new have never ever had an issue with anything infact I've never had to use the warranty so why would the Quality control at Korg suddenly be an issue now... your always going to get a few dodgy units in a batch of thousands youve just been rather unlucky
mackbaz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Dan has already said they are using different components,which were probably the parts causing an issue or at least to those few units that were found to be faulty

You've had 2 RH3 keybeds both had issues,why are you contemplating buying another synth with one fitted and just because you had faults doesn't mean everyone else will???but your putting fire amongst the flames of Kronos owners/Buyers who are going to read this thread and have psychological doubts now,simply on this basis alone.When they unbox the first thing there going to do is check the keybed for faults???

Like I've said the RH3 does have gaps,but none that would really see me screaming to Korg its a design fault or I may have a law suit against them for fear of not being able to play the SV because I'm scared of my hand falling into that gap.. Rolling Eyes

I also recall a thread in here some years back where some guy complained about the mechanical noise from the semi weighted keys claiming it stopped him playing because all he could think about when using headphones was the keys were making a clicking noise to some degree,suddenly there were several other replies from owners claiming they had faulty keybeds!!!!Well do the maths!!!!

I see the wear and tear on instruments are as much about how they are treated as it is design flaws,and if Korg have admitted its a design flaw why are they not replacing said components on all units sold.

if it was a car it would be recalled and the design removed from manufacturing seems like Korg are simply just upgrading existing parts not removing a faulty design per se,your just severly unlucky to have had 2 same faults on 2 keybeds given the probability and amount of SV1's made or your simply just picky or looking for issues that don't exist except in your own mind!!!Do you suffer from OCD???or it may have been done during transit

How I see it your simply once bitten twice shy,so why even think about another RH3 unit,your always going to have that Psychological doubt because of your connection with the keybeds bury it and forget it,see what the new units are like but don't pass judgement or sow the seed of doubt,I suspect many Kronos buyers never even seen the SV forum thread about the RH3 beds anyway so were perhaps none the wiser

I've owned 30-35 Korg synthesizers since 1989 those bought new have never ever had an issue with anything infact I've never had to use the warranty so why would the Quality control at Korg suddenly be an issue now... your always going to get a few dodgy units in a batch of thousands youve just been rather unlucky

All I have to say is make a wise choice and try it out first. Why am I not allowed to post my experience with the keybed? Its like telling every consumer to shut up about their negative experiences. If we did that we would never have any progress.

And like you (though not as many keyboards) I have played several Korgs and have never had the issues. That's why the RH3 was a concern. It didn't seem like Korg to me. It makes perfect sense that in a weak economy manufacturers would choose cheaper processes that may result in a lower quality product. Just because Korg's quality has been great in the past does not make them immune to mistakes.

And once again the gaps were not what I was complaining about. If you check the threads out it was my concern with the inconsistency. Some keys are great while others aren't. Based on my 2 keybeds I would put a little guard up when purchasing. Please get over it. I was providing accurate feedback that I thought some may want to know. I'm not bashing Korg or claiming its the worst Keyboard. I have tried to keep everything as objective as possible.

Finally I am contemplating a Kronos because it looks like a fabulous workstation. I'm not going to discredit it for the keybed yet. I'm just going to wait to play it because I've had 2 negative experiences with the keybed. I'd be an idiot to just go pre-order it assuming they've gotten rid of the issue. If I really was here to ruin people's hopes I would be telling them not to get the Kronos. I hope the thing rocks.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe take a chill-pill Kontrol49 nobody is telling anyone not to buy Korg LOL. Fact is there some pretty gnarly examples floating around out there. I could stick quarters between some of the SV1 keys and while that's okay for a nice old piano, not so much with Kronos 88. Its not completely unreasonable to assure the pre-order Kronos buyers that their boards will not suffer the same fate. Dan directly answered my questions and I'm satisfied.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Maybe take a chill-pill Kontrol49 Its not completely unreasonable to assure the pre-order Kronos buyers that their boards will not suffer the same fate. Dan directly answered my questions and I'm satisfied.

No it's not unreasonable,that isn't what I'm trying to get at what I'm saying is that there will be buyers who perhaps wouldn't have even gave it a thought before reading threads like this..
The fact your query has been answered by Dan settles your issues,but how many others are going to actually look for these faults and perhaps develop a psychological disfunction with there Synths that wouldn't have even crossed their minds otherwise!

Take a Chillpill...???Well I am not worried about the RH3 beds in the Kronos,I'm not buying one because I already have an Oasys and the SV1 keybed I own is fine!I'll sit back and watch the fears and complaints roll in about them on the back of these threads!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad of this post becasue I like to hear the good and bad. 3500+ is a butt load of cash and a wise buyer knows all the pros and cons. I for one am happy for the info, especially with the reply Dan gave that alone should take care fo any immediate concerns but as always buyer beware. Sadly I will never get to try a Kronos first so this is all very helpful to me. And even after reading this thread I am on the list for a 61 and 88, I just need to decide which to go with becasue "there can be only one"!
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M3-88 keybed doesn't have problems with clicking noise (like the SV-1 issues demonstrated by mackbaz). I assume this is not a general RH3 problem.

The spacing between keys is not hyper-accurate, it could be better. But practically this is not a problem at all.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Triton LE 88 brand-new and used it for 2 years. I never had a single problem with its RH-3 keybed. I then bought a used Triton Extreme 88 from Guitar Center, where it had spent its entire life sitting on a shelf as a demo, being absolutely assaulted, tortured, mashed and mangled by mobs of people for 4 solid years. It made no clicks, clacks, or other than normal noises, and it felt just as solid and tight as it did new. I was shocked at how well it played, as was the lady I sold it to. I miss it greatly, though I love my Tritron Extreme 76.

Personally, I prefer the feel of the Roland Fantom G8's keybed to Korg's RH-3, however, I never had any problems with my Korg weighted keybeds. I suspect the above-mentioned issues are dealing with the SV-1 keybed in particular (thanks for the heads-up on that, as I may not purchase one now), and I in no way worry about that being the case for the Kronos. I intend to purchase a Kronos 73 the very second I am physically able to do so.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all the Korg keyboards called 'RH3' which you can find in digital pianos, SV1, M3 and Kronos really the same?

Or is 'RH3' a generic name for several *different* keyboards?

Were will the Kronos RH3 keyboard be made?
mackbaz

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am happy to see there are a few people speaking up about their positives with the RH3 on other keyboards. I would say the Kronos has a better chance of not having the issues. I'm just wondering what's so different about the chassis of the sv-1 to cause the issues.

I still have one reservation.. and that is that the Kronos is the next keyboard to follow the sv-1 in using the RH3. If for some reason they began to skimp on the quality of the keybed, there is a chance for it to still be present. Let's hope Dan's information does reflect a resolution.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:
I'm just wondering what's so different about the chassis of the sv-1 to cause the issues.

Dan has highlighted about a modification to the original SV1 RH3.other than that would say its still the same.I still think yours and a few others is an isolated issue and hence why they've modified a part for this batch to the Kronos

Kronos has an aftertouch strip,so whilst all other components are probably 99% the same,trust it may have some slight modifications to the original RH3,or it might even be the same exact chassis fitted to the SVs and the SV-1 just hasn't got the aftertouch option fitted.Its not unusual for the same components to be fitted to different instruments Korg have used interchangable parts on a lot of gear anyway,like Knobs/Sliders etc.

Can't see them having a completely new Keybed chassis fabricated for the Kronos would have thought it would be in the interest of manufacturing costs to continue with the same design and use existing parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: