Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They changed the specs!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zahush76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: They changed the specs! Reply with quote

So reading reading Gordon's review, i noticed that he wrote that the kronos comes with 148mb of free ram when all Exs are loaded , and not with 273mb like was written on the korg website. We all remember that, and it was discussed to death.

I checked the specs on the korg website, and they seemed to change that info Face palm :

Quote:
The memory available for RAM samples will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries. About 148MB is available when shipped from the factory (when loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).

Amazing, isn't it?

This is when sentences like
Quote:
Appearance and specifications of this product are subject to change without notice
come to mind. And towards the negative direction.
I really hope the rumors about a future OS update that wil allow the kronos to address 4GB of ram, are true...
T7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'd like to hear from Dan or Rich on what brought on the change. I really hope corners aren't being cut last minute to get it out the door.

...Perhaps it's simply a case of Korg adding more sample data than before.

Last edited by T7 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Flash & The Pan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: They changed the specs! Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
So reading reading Gordon's review, i noticed that he wrote that the kronos comes with 148mb of free ram when all Exs are loaded , and not with 273mb like was written on the korg website. We all remember that, and it was discussed to death.

I checked the specs on the korg website, and they seemed to change that info Face palm :

Quote:
The memory available for RAM samples will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries. About 148MB is available when shipped from the factory (when loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).

Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Appearance and specifications of this product are subject to change without notice
I really hope the rumors about a future OS update that wil allow the kronos to address 4GB of ram, are true...

Obama's 'n da "Kronos".????? ..OMG
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: They changed the specs! Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:

Quote:

Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:

It is very simple in fact:

You just can't seriously use a Kronos with the standard 2Gb onboard as sampling device, no matter if you get 200-300Mb freed up by unloading EXis or not. Normally you will rather want to keep the factory EXi stuff (or at least most of it) on board anyway.

So an upgrade possibility to 4 Gb RAM seems ESSENTIAL for any serious sampling use of a Kronos. I fail to see any other acceptable way.
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a feeling the 2GB Ram addition you were talking about in another thread Jim may come to fruition. 148MB for user samples just wont cut it with most people,especially on a top of the range product.

Most will want the preset data loaded in, I agree on that.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I will load out the EXs2 OASYS piano right from the start, it is useless with the samples used by the SGX-1 engine.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unloading a non existing extension is an interesting user effort.
Maybe if we unload enough non-existing EXis, we'll get enough sample space back. Very Happy
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Mick wrote:
I know that I will load out the EXs2 OASYS piano right from the start, it is useless with the samples used by the SGX-1 engine.

Good idea. The EXs2 (Steinway) piano samples occupy 464 MB in OASYS' RAM.

I really like and use them now but if the new SGX-1 pianos (EXs6 and EXs7) are better I don't see a reason to keep the EXs2 always in RAM.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Teh Mick wrote:

I really like and use them now but if the new SGX-1 pianos (EXs6 and EXs7) are better I don't see a reason to keep the EXs2 always in RAM.
Unfortunately Rich(or was it dan) already mentioned that the Exs2 is not automatically loaded (the rest are) from start, so this wont help

Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
Teh Mick wrote:

Unfortunately Rich(or was it dan) already mentioned that the Exs2 is not automatically loaded (the rest are) from start, so this wont help

Thank you for clarification - I missed it. Embarassed Very Happy
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are forgetting the Audio Tracks! They stream from the SSD.
On other sampling workstations, you would use the RAM for audio tracks as well. And even if they offer more RAM memory, there are rediculous limits on how many sample you can have, so the RAM is not that useful any way.

If I have a loop to record, I will do that on audio tracks, not sample RAM. If I want to use drums hits, I will drop them on audio track, not sample RAM.

I think for other synth sounds you don't need that big RAM memory. And the limit on number of samples in RAM is lot more flexible. And with dynamic loading/unloading of selected Samples, you 'could' recycle the memory. For example, I could load a sampled instrument, record midi, render to audio. Unload the samples, load the other instrument, record midi, render to audio... etc. Because you can manage programs, samples, and songs as separate files/collection. I could be working with same song with different sampling data. You can't do this on other workstations.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersize me.

Maybe the reason there's not as much RAM is that there's more good stuff in the primary EXi's boot up than there was before.

Since I'm not a big sampling user I can't think of a good reason for me to complain very hard... unless EXi expansions 10, 11, and 12 won't fit.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Supersize me.

Maybe the reason there's not as much RAM is that there's more good stuff in the primary EXi's boot up than there was before.

Since I'm not a big sampling user I can't think of a good reason for me to complain very hard... unless EXi expansions 10, 11, and 12 won't fit.

BB

I'm with this. I like and use the built-in sounds in OASYS, they are exceptionally good and can serve the biggest part of my needs - and I even haven't bought MOD-7, LAC-1 and EXs3 yet. With all of them on-board I think I would be fine.

For the few samples I use sometimes I don't need much memory.
RichF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Quote:

That's part of the reason for the change, along with OS updates.

Is it often that you need both a German and a Japanese grand piano loaded at once?
Do you always need the brass/woodwind expansion library on hand?
If you play with a drummer, do you need to load the new drum kits?

if you're exploring a Kronos for the first time in a store, or when you're incorporating it in into your workflow, the answer to all of this is usually "yes." In these cases, you should be able to experience everything it can do as a fully loaded instrument. Even though we want to show off how fast the SSD is, loading an EXs library just isn't quite as much as fun as playing one.

Customization often follows exploration. Once you've gotten to decide which aspects are the most important to you, you can trim down your preload to suit your needs, and gain sample RAM as a result. There's nearly 1gb of RAM available without the EXs libraries loaded.

To summarize, a new Kronos will auto-load nearly all of the included expansion data. If you don't need it, you can load/unload it very quickly, and the speed of the SSD makes this quick and painless.

Hope this helps.
-Rich
zahush76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
billbaker wrote:
Quote:

That's part of the reason for the change, along with OS updates.

Is it often that you need both a German and a Japanese grand piano loaded at once?
Do you always need the brass/woodwind expansion library on hand?
If you play with a drummer, do you need to load the new drum kits?

if you're exploring a Kronos for the first time in a store, or when you're incorporating it in into your workflow, the answer to all of this is usually "yes." In these cases, you should be able to experience everything it can do as a fully loaded instrument. Even though we want to show off how fast the SSD is, loading an EXs library just isn't quite as much as fun as playing one.

Customization often follows exploration. Once you've gotten to decide which aspects are the most important to you, you can trim down your preload to suit your needs, and gain sample RAM as a result. There's nearly 1gb of RAM available without the EXs libraries loaded.

To summarize, a new Kronos will auto-load nearly all of the included expansion data. If you don't need it, you can load/unload it very quickly, and the speed of the SSD makes this quick and painless.

Hope this helps.
-Rich

Hi Rich!

All of this was also correct before.
What I'm wondering about is what caused the 120mb difference between what was initially written on the specs page, to what's written in there now.
And even more so after some people here pre-ordered a kronos, among other reasons, becuase of the specs initially introduced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: