Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funny quote..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Funny quote.. Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Quote:
I am going to look at the M3 but after reading your post can tell I'll probably still wait to get an Oasys as soon as the next generation comes out.

Let me ask you something in regards to this CLUELESS statement you just made:

Do you have ANY inside info with Korg? Do HONESTLY think that with 10 YEARS, let me repeat that again: 10 YEARS! of Research and Development that's STILL happening and ENORMOUS efforts Stephen Kay, Dan, and the ENTIRE team put into that AMAZING work of art that they would just throw it off to the side, discontinue it and come out with a newer version when 90% of the hardware is already AND the fact that it's SOFTWARE BASED?!

Where on earth are getting this kind of info?! HELLO?! ANYBODY HOME?! What are you waiting for anyways? A faster processor? Firewire and USB connectivity to your computer? If you need USB THAT badly, why don't you just buy a USB to MIDI I/O Cable and call it a day? It's the SAME thing.

Another thing: Even if they DID offer those upgrades, who says you can't upgrade your current OASYS to the newer spec? the OASYS hasn't even reached anywhere NEAR it's potential yet! And you think they're gonna come out with a new one?! Give me a break!

This isn't a Toyota Avalon or even a Mercedes S-Class, for that matter. this is a ROLLS ROYCE, Lamborghini, or Ferrari equivalent. How often does Lamborghini make a new flagship car? How's every 10 YEARS? I'm not saying that's how long the OASYS is gonna last, but what I AM saying is that it's gonna be a LOOONG time before they even release a new Flagship like that, ESPECIALLY since THIS one is STILL in development.

I'm sorry if I was too hard on you, but you need to get your facts straight before making a crazy assumption like that.

Sina

How ironic....

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say that you can always expect a KORG flagship workstation replacement in around every 5 years. The only thing wrong with that now days is the speed everything is accelerating in every other part of the music industry.

Between the big 3, KORG seem to be the only ones right now making an active effort to stay ahead of the game. Roland and Yamaha are really only recycling old technology and flogging a horse that died a very long time ago.

KORG are not exactly safe either. They are head, but in a market that's shrinking to the DAW / Software VSTi world.

Regards
Sharp.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. i really hope software never completely takes over... i seriously despise software synths.

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohh I don't know.
Check out the video called Omnisphere v1.5 Demo

http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere-videos.php

That's what you call cutting edge.

Regards
Sharp.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me clarify what i mean by despise:
Despise in a live situation and when it comes to putting stuff together.

I'm not a DAW guy, I dont mess around with this kind of stuff... I HAVE believe it or not.. But after getting my first hardware synth (triton) i was much more impressed with what it could do for me

I can see how for someone whos in a studio all day and thats their life that this would be a freaking god send and the best stuff around, and sonically I agree. However, I'm rarely in the studio, yes i have an interface and am prepared to record when needed be. But 99% of my musical time im playing live or in a rehearsal and in such situations I've found softsynths to be the biggest pain in my ass ever. I hate lugging around the laptop with the interface, i hate the ocasional latency issue, i hate that i cant save a picture anymore cause the libraries are huge and take up all my disk space (and external) And worst is when i get the magical hanging note. Even when using the simplest of controllers. And surprisingly, when i got the triton with some expansion and self made multisample loaded up, my groups were muchhhh more impressed with the sonic differences. But thats subjective to my line of work (metal, wich usually calls for a more synthetic sound)

I guess to each his own! For me I will most likely never go back to software synths. or just using a computer for my music live productions. It's more hassle then its worth to me.

TL;DR to each his own[/u]

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg also sort of recycled OASYS a bit with Kronos. Smile Sure, SSD and gigabyte-sized "ROM" and disk streaming are a novelty (and a welcome one!) in workstation world, but...

Let's not talk about how virtually ALL Korg workstations since M1 basically follow the 2 oscillators per patch scheme. It is a bit limiting. D50 and later Roland's offsprings were better in that regard, allowing 4 "tones" or "partials" per patch. Motif is even better at 8 "parts" per patch. Kurzweil... up to 32. Laughing

Time to change some of these things, Korg. You already do it in your PA series and SV-1, they have more than 2 oscillators per patch. So why not workstations? If Korg wants to stay ahead of the game, they should introduce modularity. Take a HD-1 oscillator, pull it through MOD-7 waveshapers, use that as exciter for STR-1, and filter it all with MS-20 filter. That's not a novelty either, Kurzweil does it for about 30 years now. Laughing But it would be a welcome addition to Korg.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Korg also sort of recycled OASYS a bit with Kronos. Smile Sure, SSD and gigabyte-sized "ROM" and disk streaming are a novelty (and a welcome one!) in workstation world, but..
Let's not talk about how virtually ALL Korg workstations since M1 basically follow the 2 oscillators per patch scheme. It is a bit limiting. D50 and later Roland's offsprings were better in that regard, allowing 4 "tones" or "partials" per patch. Motif is even better at 8 "parts" per patch. Kurzweil... up to 32. :

Time to change some of these things, Korg. You already do it in your PA series and SV-1, they have more than 2 oscillators per patch. So why not workstations? If Korg wants to stay ahead of the game, they should introduce modularity. Take a HD-1 oscillator, pull it through MOD-7 waveshapers, use that as exciter for STR-1, and filter it all with MS-20 filter. That's not a novelty either, Kurzweil does it for about 30 years now. Laughing But it would be a welcome addition to Korg.

I think all boards should be just like kurz. And have that classic little LCD
Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boards should definitely have Kurzweil's MIDI implementation. Sadly, a lot of them don't.

The display is what it is for now. It's still remarkably fast to work on that old-skool UI, whether you admit it or not.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was impressive and it does offer a lot for the money. I think should my savings fail or be needed for something else that it could be my choice instead of Kronos. Only if the money doesn't allow Kronos.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
All boards should definitely have Kurzweil's MIDI implementation. Sadly, a lot of them don't.

Could you explain? I have 2500XS and though I like a lot about it, I am about to decommission it out of my setup. I find its MIDI implementation utterly confusing and near on impossible to integrate into a DAW. In particular I find it's response to multiple MIDI channels very confusing. But I'd be interested in your thoughts on this,

EvilDragon wrote:

The display is what it is for now. It's still remarkably fast to work on that old-skool UI, whether you admit it or not.

I find the Kurzweil the most complicated and difficult-to-program synthesizer I've ever come across. Over time I've acquired a lot of programming experience (and find programming an SY77 straight forward for example) but continue to find VAST utterly impenetrable.

In particular, the various layers are a nightmare. For example, if a piano has four layers, then to adjust any aspect of the sound, such as filter, envelopes and so on, you have to do it 4 times over. I have never, ever, successfully edited even one on board preset. I tried, in vein, to mellow it's standard piano program but simply could not achieve it properly - the layers each had their own filter settings, and each are utterly cryptic in terms of how their values are indicated. I cannot comprehend how a 32-layer program on a modern Kurzweil could be programmed - it would take hours just to set the fundamental parameters up; as distinct to merely moments on something like an OASYS or V-Synth. On a kurzweil, if you want to change just one characteristic of a program, you have to do it up to 32 times over. Utterly rediculous.

I accept Kurzweil have a great legacy (up to the K2500) and have carried some of that over - but they are a god-damn nightmare to program. Accepted many of the on board programs are very good, but I could never make my own.

Finally, the keyboard action on the latest Kurzweils is a pale shadow of the K2500XS whose action is far superior to even the OASYS. In this regard Kurzweils now feel like a toy rather than a musical instrument of professional quality. I tried out two of their latest PC models only yesterday and I was genuinely shocked at how tacky they feltby comparisom to PC models of just a gew years ago, let alone the mammoth K2500 quality. Kurzweil are not the company they once were and are getting worse with every release. Very sad.

Kevin
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's a matter of what fits your workflow. I, for example, find VAST really easy to work with. Everything is logical, everything makes sense. But, I've dabbled with NI's Generator (later Reaktor) since I was 15, so maybe I'm in slight minority (for the record, I will be 25 this May, so that will mark 10 years of my synthesis endeavors). However, VAST is not impenetrable. It needs some getting used to, but once you figure it out, other synthesis methods pale in comparison with regards to flexibility you can achieve with VAST. I was up and working after a week of having received my PC3K8. As a disclaimer, it also helped reading all the manuals for K-series synths months and months before even having the actual cash to pay for it!

One thing to note is - you don't necessarily HAVE to do the same thing 32 times over, depending on how the patch is set up. You can cascade layers so you have, for example, 3 layers worth of oscillators, that all cascade to fourth layer which only has the filter. So you don't have to change the cutoff in 3 layers, but only in one. It's all about how you approach in structuring the layout of the program.

OF COURSE Korgs are gonna be easier to work with because they're not modular by nature! Sure, Kronos has all these engines, but it's essentially a fixed 2-partial structure and there's nothing you can do about it. If you want to use AL-1 filter on HD-1 samples, you can't. If you want to ring-mod an STR-1 program, you can't. That sort of thing, you know?

It all boils down to your preference - and I love ease of use just as much as I love going into too much detail and basically pushing out complex synth structures that you can't do in any other hardware workstation (I emphasize the word "workstation" here) EXCEPT Kurzweil. This is what I've wanted ever since I've had my hands on Reaktor. I wanted to have this sort of flexibility in live setting, but without dragging a laptop on the stage. I don't even have a laptop yet! Laughing

I've never played a K2500, so I cannot comment on the keybed. However I've heard a LOT of K2500s ended up being serviced because of a faulty keybed. It was a certain infamous Fatar model. But the one on my PC3K8 (also Fatar, TP40L) is very good IMHO and the only fault I find on it is that it's really hard to do consistent fast single key repetition. That's about it. I have the same amount of nuance as on my upright or any well adjusted piano. If not better.

About MIDI implementation, it's all in the Setup mode. Really flexible. It seems like OASYS/Kronos have shortened the gap between what was possible to do on older Korg's workstations in relation to what you can do on a Kurzweil, however I still feel Kurzweil has some advantage here. I cannot comment on multiple MIDI channels response being confusing, I didn't have any of that happen with my PC3K8.

I hope this was a satisfying answer. I enjoyed typing it up, at least! Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

It needs some getting used to, but once you figure it out, other synthesis methods pale in comparison with regards to flexibility you can achieve with VAST.
OF COURSE Korgs are gonna be easier to work with because they're not modular by nature! Sure, Kronos has all these engines, but it's essentially a fixed 2-partial structure and there's nothing you can do about it. If you want to use AL-1 filter on HD-1 samples, you can't. If you want to ring-mod an STR-1 program, you can't. That sort of thing, you know?

I think it's great that Kurzweil's on the scene, with their own approaches to making synths. They build cool instruments that many musicians love - and competition is good!

The way I think about the philosophical differences between VAST and the OASYS and KRONOS, however, is a little different from EvilDragon's approach.

VAST does sample playback, waveshaping, basic analog waveforms, ring mod, filtering, and FM. When I've looked into this in the past, I've concluded that the MOD-7 is for most practical intents similar to VAST in terms of both capability and flexibility, providing all of these functions within a modular environment (although naturally each can do some specific things that the other can't).

The MOD-7 also has somewhat greater polyphony for complex patches. A single VAST voice maxes out with sample playback + a 4-pole resonant lowpass filter, for instance; to do more, you need to use up additional voices. A while ago, I calculated the total VAST blocks needed to approximate the MOD-7 at 57 or 58, depending on filter structure. I estimate that the PC3 could do this by combining 15 layers together, each doing 4 blocks. The PC3's base polyphony is 128 voices, so this means the polyphony goes down to 128/15, or about 8 and a half voices. The KRONOS MOD-7's max polyphony is 52 voices.

The rest of the OASYS & KRONOS system does things which are different from VAST, such as wave sequencing (HD-1), complex VA waveforms (AL-1), modeled analog waveforms and filters (AL-1/PolysixEX/MS-20EX), audio-rate modular synthesis (MS-20EX), physical modeling (STR-1), analysis/resynthesis (EP-1), etc.

Again, I think Kurzweil makes cool instruments. I just think of VAST as one flavor of modular digital synthesis, rather than a superset of all others.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eagerly await the enabling of FM OPERATOR module on the PC3. It's a 2-block module that's available in there, the chips can do it and all that, but isn't enabled in the OS. That would make some things a lot easier and with less layers, I presume.

Other than that, a very interesting comparison of MOD-7 to VAST, Dan! I'd like to add that VAST can also do PWM on sample data, by introducing and modulating the DC offset to a waveform. Not sure if Kronos/OASYS can do that.

Also, PC3 offers some very special Kurzweil-only effects, like Pitcher and LaserVerb (well, that one sounds to me like flanged reverb for the most part, but it can go beyond that with tweaking, of course). Pitcher is especially interesting because it has a lot of strange and weird usages. Great for pads and atmospheres.

It's very true that Kronos and PC3 are complimentary boards, instead of being mutually exclusive. That's why both Korg and Kurzweil get love from me. It's a match made in heaven. Cool
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Korg also sort of recycled OASYS a bit with Kronos. Smile Sure, SSD and gigabyte-sized "ROM" and disk streaming are a novelty (and a welcome one!) in workstation world, but...

Let's not talk about how virtually ALL Korg workstations since M1 basically follow the 2 oscillators per patch scheme. It is a bit limiting. D50 and later Roland's offsprings were better in that regard, allowing 4 "tones" or "partials" per patch. Motif is even better at 8 "parts" per patch. Kurzweil... up to 32. Laughing

I'm not sure if this is comparing apples to apples.

For instance, if I understand correctly, to velocity-switch between 8 different multisamples on a PC3, you'd use 8 layers. On the OASYS and KRONOS, you can do this with a single "Oscillator." Using both "Osc" in a Program, you can switch between 16 different Multisamples. Throw Wave Sequences in the mix, and you can switch between 64 Multisamples for *each* of those 16 layers...

Similarly, each "tone" on the Fantom is a single multisample - which means that in a Patch, with four tones, you can use a max of four multisamples. Again, that's compared to 16 in an OASYS/KRONOS Program (not counting Wave Sequences).

And finally, "elements" on the Motif XF are similar - 8 per Program ("voice"), but only one multisample per element.

(I should add that I'm not an expert in these other instruments, so if I've missed something, I'm very open to correction!)

Of course, there are advantages and drawbacks to each of these systems, but it's not quite as simple as 2 vs. 4 vs. 8 vs. 32.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. The difference being that for each layer on PC3 you can have separate DSP processing, whereas on Kronos the 8 velocity layers go to the two filters then amp. It's a different working paradigm, and each has its pros and cons. Smile

Also on Kurzweil you can do velocity switching at keymap level. It's great they enabled keymap editing on PC3 (wasn't available before OS v2.0).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: