Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos.. PROS and COns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Kronos.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

Pros and Cons// COmpare a Kronus instead vs. a used Oasys.. Roland Jupiter 80 or Mottif XF?

I think we should list them so a potential buyer can see different aspects of Kronos compared to each keyboard.

Ill start with a few. Correct me if I am wrong.
Pros:
SSD Drive, Smooth Sound Transition, 9 Sound Engines..Oasys has 7, 61,73, or 88 keys(Jupiter 80 has only 73), Sequencer (Jupiter 80 none)
Chord Pads, Wave Sequencing(Yay), Karma, All have Touch Screens (Oasys has largest), Price point is currently below a used Oasys per Ebay, Much improved Piano sound

Cons: Touch Screen a Little hard to see, No Sound Articulation, Chord Pads are touchscreen vs Oasys hardware buttons, $600 higher priced that the Motif XF, Wheel and sliders have been reported as flemsy/wobbly, Many of the same old sounds and Engines as Oasys, No Streaming, Jupiter 80 has many buttons for sound selection & keyboard splits and looks to be more user friendlly... whereas Kronos uses the touchscreen with tabs. Sequencer..oh well. No D-Beam as Jupiter 80 has.

Last edited by sparkie on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
T7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronus?
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crocus" maybe? After all, it's spring time, buds are starting to bloom.

Question
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently no keybaord workstation with similar price that the KRONOS could be compared to. Really.

In my opinion, the only cons with KRONOS are

1. Not able to fully edit programs/drums kit from Combi or Song. Both Yamaha Motif and Roland Fantom let you fully edit programs ad drums for song, and save with the song.

2. Not able to change tracks while loop recording in Sequencer
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Cons:

Some of your cons are my pros:

1. touch screen chord pads - many m3 owners had to get their M3's serviced because the physical pads stopped working due to dirt build up. This completely resolves that potential issue.

2. sound articulation: The M3 even had a lot of this with KARMA (which the Jupiter 80 will never, ever have) as well as in the programming of the patch itself. I didn't see much that the Jupiter 80 could do that my M3 can't already.

3. No D-BEAM... THANK GOD! I absolutely hate D-Beam and people using it look like they are having a seizure. It accomplishes nothing that I couldn't do with just the ribbon controller. It's a gimmicky feature that is distracting to both the player and the viewer.

Those are just examples but there is no comparison of the Jupiter to the KRONOS. The Jupiter is WAY out of it's league in terms of functionality, sound quality, PRICE per feature, etc. And saying that the KRONOS has the "same old sounds of the OASYS" is a bit misleading as if the OASYS had bad sounds. Nobody out there has anything even close to the OASYS, let alone the advanced features of the KRONOS. And who wants a synthesizer that looks like a bunch of smashed up skittles? What was Roland thinking on THAT one?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Pros and Cons// COmpare a Kronus instead vs. a used Oasys.. Roland Jupiter 80 or Mottif XF?

I think we should list them so a potential buyer can see different aspects of Kronus compared to each keyboard.

Pros:
SSD Drive, Smooth Sound Transition, 9 Sound Engines..Oasys has 7, 61,73, or 88 keys(Jupiter 80 has only 73), Sequencer (Jupiter 80 none)
Chord Pads, Wave Sequencing(Yay), Karma, All have Touch Screens (Oasys has largest), Price point is currently below a used Oasys per Ebay, Much improved Piano sound

Cons: Touch Screen a Little hard to see, No Sound Articulation, Chord Pads are touchscreen vs Oasys hardware buttons, $600 higher priced that the Motif XF, Wheel and sliders have been reported as flemsy/wobbly, Many of the same old sounds and Engines as Oasys, No Streaming, Jupiter 80 has many buttons for sound selection & keyboard splits and looks to be more user friendlly... whereas Kronus uses the touchscreen with tabs. Sequencer..oh well. No D-Beam as Jupiter 80 has.

Pros:
its not a Motif
its not a Kurzweil
Smile
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
I think we should list the pros and cons of Kronos vs other new keyboards, so a potential buyer can see different aspects

right.

why didn't we think of it before?
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
sparkie wrote:
Cons:

And saying that the KRONOS has the "same old sounds of the OASYS" is a bit misleading as if the OASYS had bad sounds. Nobody out there has anything even close to the OASYS...

+1
Prospective Kronos users are very lucky to have the same exceptional sounds from the OASYS.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
sparkie wrote:

I think we should list them so a potential buyer can see different aspects of Kronus compared to each keyboard.

Pros:

Cons: Touch Screen a Little hard to see, No Sound Articulation, Chord Pads are touchscreen vs Oasys hardware buttons, $600 higher priced that the Motif XF, Wheel and sliders have been reported as flemsy/wobbly, Many of the same old sounds and Engines as Oasys, No Streaming, Jupiter 80 has many buttons for sound selection & keyboard splits and looks to be more user friendlly... whereas Kronus uses the touchscreen with tabs. Sequencer..oh well. No D-Beam as Jupiter 80 has.

Pros:
its not a Motif
its not a Kurzweil
Smile

ah ha... but you didn't say Fantom G. Finally the Fantom gets the respect it deserves!!!!

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

apex wrote:
GregC wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Pros:

Pros:
its not a Motif
its not a Kurzweil
Smile

ah ha... but you didn't say Fantom G. Finally the Fantom gets the respect it deserves!!!!

hah ! I completely forgot about it

Not sure thats respect
Laughing
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hey Hey let's all calm down! Skittles are great little treats! Nuff said! HAHAHHA Laughing
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Hey Hey Hey let's all calm down! Skittles are great little treats! Nuff said! HAHAHHA Laughing

M&Ms are better Razz

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, I agree whole heartedly! M&Ms rule just like the Kronos will!
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
sparkie wrote:
Cons:

Some of your cons are my pros:

1. touch screen chord pads - many m3 owners had to get their M3's serviced because the physical pads stopped working due to dirt build up. This completely resolves that potential issue.

2. sound articulation: The M3 even had a lot of this with KARMA (which the Jupiter 80 will never, ever have) as well as in the programming of the patch itself. I didn't see much that the Jupiter 80 could do that my M3 can't already.

3. No D-BEAM... THANK GOD! I absolutely hate D-Beam and people using it look like they are having a seizure. It accomplishes nothing that I couldn't do with just the ribbon controller. It's a gimmicky feature that is distracting to both the player and the viewer.

Those are just examples but there is no comparison of the Jupiter to the KRONOS. The Jupiter is WAY out of it's league in terms of functionality, sound quality, PRICE per feature, etc. And saying that the KRONOS has the "same old sounds of the OASYS" is a bit misleading as if the OASYS had bad sounds. Nobody out there has anything even close to the OASYS, let alone the advanced features of the KRONOS. And who wants a synthesizer that looks like a bunch of smashed up skittles? What was Roland thinking on THAT one?

If Korg would use some good quality pad buttons like that is on the Fantom their wouldnt be a problem with the sticking.,
Personally I like the colored buttons..user friendly and it gives it a retro look. BLack is bland and looks like every used synth you see in a pawn shop..what about gray, silver or metallic..

Yes the Oasys has great sounds...But I have heard and played them ..If you havent owned one then the Kronos will be a great surprise..however for previous Oasys owners, like me, sorry but I dont see much of a new surprise with the Kronos. Case is super plain and simple with nothing new to make your eyes pop..like the Oasys did when it was released. Instead they remove buttons and pads and use a cheaper smaller touchscreen. Karma is also fun but again I have heard most of the stock patterns and sounds so it is like trading in your 3 yr old car to get the exact same current yr model.

Does anyone know how many "new" Combis and programs are loaded on the Kronos that are not on the Oasys? Dont include PIANO because I know the Kronos already has who knows.. too many already. ( I swear Korg must be having a contest with someone to see how many different piano sounds they can stuff in a synth.) Pass the "Colored" M&M's.....

On a different note I may be eating my words(not the first time) since Korg has expanded the samples from what was originally posted..Hmm.

Last edited by sparkie on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Sequencer..oh well.

Well, I guess I know what do you mean by that, but if you please elaborate, then we can be sure. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: