Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos.. PROS and COns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkle, it's Kronos, not Kronus. Rolling Eyes
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...off to the store to get more M&Ms. Enough for all to share.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EvilDragon.. Damn I know it ...Kronos, Kronos, Kronos, but typing that dang 2nd O is a problem for my brain, as I keep thinking about those 50s Sci-Fi B movie planets.... where is spell checker when you need it.
sani

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Jupiter 80 has many buttons for sound selection & keyboard splits and looks to be more user friendlly... whereas Kronus uses the touchscreen with tabs.

Let us not start a discussion on the user friendliness regarding sound selection.
Korg follows an old concept that simply works. Hit a number on the numeric block and press enter.
Roland on the other side makes constantly experiments with the way how sounds are selected.
First there was the 8bank 8patches scheme, followed by a numerical block on the XP series, and finally you had 3 Fantom versions without any way to select your sounds directly...unless you made your homework and put them into some favorite mode.
You can't say exactly how sound selecting works, unless you have tried it out when the keyboard hit the stores. Those rainbow buttons on the J80 looks more like buttons to select the category for a dedicated sound group. The question still remains, how you'll select dedicated and wanted sounds (registrations) on stage.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Thanks EvilDragon.. Damn I know it ...Kronos, Kronos, Kronos, but typing that dang 2nd O is a problem for my brain, as I keep thinking about those 50s Sci-Fi B movie planets.... where is spell checker when you need it.

Pros:
Kronos takes you to the Outer Limits
You won't get lost in the Twilight Zone programming the Kronos
Its not the same color as The Angry Red Planet
Klaatu barada nikto activates voice command

Smile
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros: Sound quality. SST. Finally a great piano.
Cons: No semi weighted 73/76 for the weekend warior. E to E. I prefer the low C as on the M3-73. The Kronos 73 is ONLY 5lbs lighter than the 88. Throw a case in the mix and you're schlepping around 75/80 lbs. FOr a wuss weakling like me, you're talking hernia. Just my personal opinion, just not crazy about the string/orchestra sounds. I've viewed all of the Oasys vids to get an idea and played Oasys on occasion. A new string/brass/orchestra is needed, again imho. Am I going to get a Kronos? Probably.
techman09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: My 2 Cents..... Reply with quote

Pros -- SSD, 9 Synth Engines, SGX Piano, The Bettering Of An Already Good Product

Cons -- I have not heard any guitar sounds that rival the Motif XS/XF yet, 2 minutes + boot time, can't replace everything in your studio like many seem to imply.

I think if the Kronos was such a game changer for EVERYONE than we would have all had the OASYS. The Kronos seems very promising to those who seem to really appreciate the technology behind it, as well as the technology behind Korg's former products.

Who knows, I may end up with one, but right now: Motif XF, Komplete 7, and some IK Multimedia stuff seems to really be doing the job ten times over, without the 2 minute boot time.......
brimoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can 2 minutes of waiting (and I think that's the loading time of almost all the free memory) be a deciding factor? I guess if you didn't plan on using the Kronos, then all of the sudden had inspiration hit, waiting 2 minutes might be slightly inconvenient. Or if the power goes out (like it did at the Bellevue American Music Kronos demo - and we only had to wait 1 minute to boot up 1 GB of stuff), then that'd slow things down a bit, but honestly if you can't wait 2 minutes...it takes longer than that to turn on your PS3 and TV and load your favorite video game from DVD!

Now it'd be cool if during the load time, the Kronos would play some sort of built in elevator music or have a a game start on the touch screen you could play while it booted up Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brimoore wrote:
How can 2 minutes of waiting (and I think that's the loading time of almost all the free memory) be a deciding factor? I guess if you didn't plan on using the Kronos, then all of the sudden had inspiration hit, waiting 2 minutes might be slightly inconvenient. Or if the power goes out (like it did at the Bellevue American Music Kronos demo - and we only had to wait 1 minute to boot up 1 GB of stuff), then that'd slow things down a bit, but honestly if you can't wait 2 minutes...it takes longer than that to turn on your PS3 and TV and load your favorite video game from DVD!

Now it'd be cool if during the load time, the Kronos would play some sort of built in elevator music or have a a game start on the touch screen you could play while it booted up Smile

I would prefer dancing girls on the touch screen during boot up, but thats just
me Smile
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait until the homebrew hacks come out

Your dancing girls could be a reality!! Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
wait until the homebrew hacks come out

Your dancing girls could be a reality!! Laughing

LOL.. is that like Jailbreaking your Kronos? Laughing

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the OS is open architecture!! (Wouldn't know myself how to do it - I'm an end user!! Very Happy)
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
well, the OS is open architecture!! (Wouldn't know myself how to do it - I'm an end user!! Very Happy)

Keep talking. Scammer/hacker detector on 11
Laughing
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really good idea - worths a separate thread - to think about what Kronos should do during the loooong (just joking) bootup time.

For example:
- blinking all LEDs?
- playing an intro song?
- moving faders? (I know...)

But seriously, a random startup tip would be useful. "Did you know...?" - followed by an explanation or excerpt from the manual. I really mean it: there is so much to know and to learn about this powerful system. Kronos will be the most advanced workstation in history.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
But seriously, a random startup tip would be useful. "Did you know...?" - followed by an explanation or excerpt from the manual. I really mean it: there is so much to know and to learn about this powerful system. Kronos will be the most advanced workstation in history.
random tips during startup. This would be a seriously a good feature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: