Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos.. PROS and COns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
random startup tip would be useful. "Did you know...?" - followed by an explanation or excerpt from the manual.

I think that should be a permanent feature, not limited to the 2-minutes startup.

for example, every time you load a "SAX" patch, a pop-up window should open and say... "Saxophone was invented by Adolfe Sachs in the early 19th century".

Or you could load a "pad", and you could get useful tips: "don't use this pad for your mouse, ha ha Wink "

Smiling emoticons should be optional though. I hate them.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always have music with accompanying graphics.......

Anybody remember this?

Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
could always have music with accompanying graphics.......

Anybody remember this?

thats from an Atari game, Star Raiders.

What do I win ? a free Kronos ?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer says "no".......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JwmZygqa_0&feature=related
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
random startup tip would be useful. "Did you know...?" - followed by an explanation or excerpt from the manual.

I think that should be a permanent feature, not limited to the 2-minutes startup.

for example, every time you load a "SAX" patch, a pop-up window should open and say... "Saxophone was invented by Adolfe Sachs in the early 19th century".

Or you could load a "pad", and you could get useful tips: "don't use this pad for your mouse, ha ha Wink "

Smiling emoticons should be optional though. I hate them.

Yes, I normally don't like startup tips - and turn them off immediately for ever - because they appear when the program is already loaded and ready to use. But in this case we have approx. 2 minutes for booting. Enough to read and understand a tip. Enough to learn something new. It's better than wasting this time and simply waiting, not?
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Answer??

Does anyone know how many "new" Combis and programs are pre- loaded on the Kronos that are not currently on the Oasys?..or approximate?? C'mon people.

I have an answer for the 2 min startup...pick one.
A) Play a video of Jordan Rudess shaving his head
B) Play a video of a current Geico commercial
c) Video of a Jane Fonda workout video
D) Watch a black bar draw a line from left to right and say "Loading"
E) Sound Samples of kids practicing their Piano lessons
F) Seeing a Professor in Physics explain nuclear fission
G) Watch a Doctor explain what all is involved in using a proctoscope
H) Play 10 different random sound clips of Top Movies or famous composers.

AHA I pick H..
KorgPH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
apex wrote:
GregC wrote:

Pros:
its not a Motif
its not a Kurzweil
Smile

ah ha... but you didn't say Fantom G. Finally the Fantom gets the respect it deserves!!!!

hah ! I completely forgot about it

Not sure thats respect
Laughing

I strongly doubt it too. Smile
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros: Loads of sound engines, some improved over the Oasys (if Gordon Reid is correct in Sound on Sound), lots of toys to play with.

Cons (potential): some I have heard or read about, some that may have already been fixed (and some we can live with).

(1) with all EXis loaded it takes more than 2 mins to boot (it will be longer if you fill up the remaining memory with your own sounds because they have to be loaded - answer just load what you want) - I think this could be fixed for the English with a simple message "I'd go and make a cup of tea if I were you mate!"

(2) With all EXis loaded you have about 9% of total RAM (148MB/2GB) left for sampling, recording audio etc. (does this affect the sequencer and Karma capacity too?) - might be fixed with an OS and memory upgrade - again you dont have to load everything (think that's possible).

(3) Buttons - apparently make a satisfying click - might however be wobbly - from pictures I think they look a bit narrow - might feel strange but could get used to it.

(4) Size of fonts - some complaints - others say its OK - again if a real issue probably quite easy to fix.

In the end it comes down to the sounds you want to make. Although I am impressed by the Supernatural violin and brass models on the Jupiter 80 and (I personally) have not heard anything as good (as those instruments) on the Kronos, they are not sounds I want to make (I think synths should sound like synths) so personally still more sold on the Kronos. Just waiting for the final "finance" issue to be resolved.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
With all EXis loaded you have about 9% of total RAM (148MB/2GB) left for sampling, recording audio etc. (does this affect the sequencer and Karma capacity too?) - might be fixed with an OS and memory upgrade - again you dont have to load everything (think that's possible).

RKfan, I believe audio tracks are recorded directly to the SSD, so no RAM limitation.

And the buttons are not wobbly. They are not soft and have a firm click.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pros are obvious, the reasons so many of us are excited about this board. I'm thrilled that Korg is leading the way and getting out of just more recycled rompler synthesis; etc.

The Cons:
- no physical drum pads- I like them on the M3, mine haven't mal-functioned yet
- no second controller pedal input (I like to use one for volume, so I need a second for modulation)
- wheels are on top: I like the Nord Stage style, it makes an 88 note board a much more manageable length
- no 73/76 note version like the Nord Stage Compact: joystick on top, semi-weighted action, weight under 25 pounds, a fantastically portable gigging board
- I prefer low C, not E, for 73/76 note boards
- User RAM very low
- Size of fonts; I suppose this could be an OS update; will just have to use reading glasses

Seriously though, if the Kronos is wildly popular, I hope that by next NAMM that they come out with a Nord Stage Compact version of the Kronos. There's no good reason that the Big 4 have to stick us, everytime, with joysticks to the far left, which makes an already long board an aircraft carrier. Stick to the status quo for all the other boards, but make this lightweight one shorter.

Having a slimmed down semi-weighted version of the 73/76 would sell on the merits of being under 30 pounds and having the semi-weighted keybed!

Randy
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
(1) with all EXis loaded it takes more than 2 mins to boot (it will be longer if you fill up the remaining memory with your own sounds because they have to be loaded - answer just load what you want) - I think this could be fixed for the English with a simple message "I'd go and make a cup of tea if I were you mate!"

Better yet: "Welcome back, my friends, to the boot that never ends." Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true according to my information from Musikmesse.

The new OS version boots significantly faster according to what I was told.
We will have to wait to see it confirmed.
TRIaXOR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
computer says "no".......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JwmZygqa_0&feature=related

looks more like the BBC micro or C64 version tbh (I had the C64 ver, lol)
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronus.. PROS and COns Reply with quote

apex wrote:
GregC wrote:

Pros:
its not a Motif
its not a Kurzweil
Smile

ah ha... but you didn't say Fantom G. Finally the Fantom gets the respect it deserves!!!!

Yes, it does not even deserve to be mentioned here
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex.. when the manufacturers abandon and ignore their own products, no one can give the deserved respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: