Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how about a "0" or"none"prg. for kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: how about a "0" or"none"prg. for kronos Reply with quote

kurzweil keyboards have whats called the "0" or the "none" program that comes in really handy in live playing situations when controlling other keyboards, once the "0" program is selected the keyboard outputs no sound of its own, but is still a fully functioning midi cotroller.(another great simple idea from kurzweil), does or will the kronos have this feature?

thanks
synthskier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create a program like this on any Korg keyboard that supports user samples (Kronos, M3, Triton, etc.). Just assign an unused RAM multisample number to a single-oscillator program.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg's solution is a little more elegant. If you want an internal sound, set status to INT otherwise set it to EXT.

Busch.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great Kurzweil innovation... a new name for local off.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Another great Kurzweil innovation... a new name for local off.

BB

That is incorrect, this scenario it is most definitely not the same as "local off". MIDI local off mode assumes the MIDI signal will be returned to the keyboard by the external equipment (usually a sequencer) to trigger the onboard sounds. In this example, there is no desire to trigger onboard sounds at all, quite the opposite.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Sorry, but... "the keyboard outputs no sound of its own, but is still a fully functioning midi cotroller" sounds exactly like local off to me.

------------

I suppose there might be a more detailed description of what the Kurz's Zero Mode entails, but I can think of a number of "zero mode" combis myself that would take all of 5 minutes to write and which would do the no-internal-sound + midi control functions described in the initial post.

To me it sounds a lot like the beginnings of the "dedicated transpose button" debate.

I'll live without, thanks.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm merely pointing out the reason that Local Off exists at all... it is there to allow a synth to be used as BOTH a controller keyboard AND a sound module at the same time, specifically to allow it to be used seamlessly with an external sequencer without the worry of double triggering notes when recording MIDI. That is most definitely NOT the same as Kurzweil's "0" program. The distinction is important.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Local: Off" is a global parameter on Korgs, correct? Well, "none" program is not a global parameter on Kurzweil, it is per zone in the Setup mode. Or just select program 0 in Program mode (that's 2 key presses) and there you are, controlling other keyboards and not playing from Kurzweil - beat that in two touchscreen clicks on Korg - that's not happening), that's where the distinction lies.

And yes, it's on the verge of "dedicated transpose buttons" debate. Which is really done much better on Kurzweil, whether y'all want to admit it or not.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon,

What I'm saying is if it was important to me I could build, save, modify, etc. "zero" as a template set-up. The fact that it's not there automatically (as it is on the Kurz) is less important than the ability to accomplish it if I want to.

I know how. It's not a work around. It's just a feature I can implement or not as I choose.

------------

My transpose button is in my head. Now just have to get the guitar player to do his homework about what key a capo on the 3rd fret puts him into. That's not an open E any more.

BB

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
My transpose button is in my head.

Good. Not everyone is THAT lucky, you know. Rolling Eyes
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
"Local: Off" is a global parameter on Korgs, correct? Well, "none" program is not a global parameter on Kurzweil, it is per zone in the Setup mode. Or just select program 0 in Program mode (that's 2 key presses) and there you are, controlling other keyboards and not playing from Kurzweil - beat that in two touchscreen clicks on Korg - that's not happening), that's where the distinction lies.

Local Control is a standard MIDI parameter, and it's usually global. The PC3 supports it as well, according to its MIDI Implementation Chart.

I may not understand the point. It seems like the KRONOS and other Korg instruments have a number of different, easy ways to play external MIDI devices as opposed to an internal sounds. I do this all the time. What's the actual issue?

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>And yes, it's on the verge of "dedicated transpose buttons" debate.

Yes, very useful. To be fair, it's a new feature in the setups. Before you had to go to program, then set it, then go to setup mode. Now it's nicely in the main screen. It makes you a terrible transposer on a real piano though. Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Local Control is a standard MIDI parameter, and it's usually global. The PC3 supports it as well, according to its MIDI Implementation Chart.

I may not understand the point. It seems like the KRONOS and other Korg instruments have a number of different, easy ways to play external MIDI devices as opposed to an internal sounds. I do this all the time. What's the actual issue?

- Dan

I meant - to disable playing internal sound on a Korg in Program, you have to go to Global->Local: off, or something to that extent, correct?

On Kurzweil, just press "0" and "Enter" to select program 0 "None", which doesn't play anything on the unit, but still sends MIDI outwards (we're still in Program mode). On Korg, you could make something like initialization patch that would be pretty much the same, I guess.

Naturally the whole point is moot in Setup/Combi mode, where you can precisely decide which zones/timbres will play or won't play over which MIDI channel, internal or external.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thing that happens when comparing two items is that people tend to focus on a few esoteric things that one product does - like, when this software records, you can append your own suffix or prefix, or this one has a really cool feature x that another one doesn't have.

What is interesting to me is that in all of the focus on those few features that one product has, less is spoken of how many things it does do right and better than the other product.

The Kronos is not out yet, so right now, any product is better, but I would bet that the firmware is pretty frozen right now feature-wise. So I guess in a general sense, we might as well list all of the cool things that we like from all of our keyboards, and then submit them to all the manufacturers. That way, some features might stick.

I have done this in the past with limited success! Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

- Dan

I meant - to disable playing internal sound on a Korg in Program, you have to go to Global->Local: off, or something to that extent, correct?

On Kurzweil, just press "0" and "Enter" to select program 0 "None", which doesn't play anything on the unit, but still sends MIDI outwards (we're still in Program mode). On Korg, you could make something like initialization patch that would be pretty much the same, I guess.

Naturally the whole point is moot in Setup/Combi mode, where you can precisely decide which zones/timbres will play or won't play over which MIDI channel, internal or external.

On the OASYS and KRONOS, just press Global, touch the MIDI tab, and press the Local Control On check-box (three key presses/touches). If you've already been to the MIDI tab the last time you did something in Global mode, it will appear as soon as you press Global, so you'd accomplish the task in two key-presses, just like on your Kurzweil. Plus, the instrument will still respond to MIDI input, if that's desired (handy when working with an external DAW).

Or, if you're not sequencing and we're only talking about Program mode, just turn down the volume!

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: