Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easter egg in Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Wow, tremendous overhead, f*ck*ng PONG. It ran on what, 32 kB of RAM (less?), 8-bit CPU? Wow. BLOAT! LOL. Laughing

Also, several months? PONG can be coded in a few hours. Or less. Rolling Eyes

Wow, you know nothing about discreet circuits, dedicated hardware, or arcade emulation. Pong is not a complicated game, but software has to emulate hardware which takes much more RAM and code space than the game itself.

But again, it's a complete waste of time to even bother putting kids games in a keyboard OS. Explain to me at what point you plan on really using that "feature?"

Isn't it enough that they put a PolySix in there?!
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Explain to me at what point you plan on really using that "feature?"

Missing the point there, McHale. Smile

Myself wouldn't be using it per se, however I completely disagree with you in this quote.

McHale wrote:
I'd be pissed if I found out that the KRONOS was delayed a couple months because the "pong" game wasn't working right. I also don't want a bloated OS...

That certainly would not be the case with Kronos, because it doesn't use dedicated hardware for main number crunching - it uses off-the-shelf PC components and there's no need for arcade emulation when the code can run natively. Atom CPU can definitely run natively coded Pong without a "bloated overhead" and without breaking a sweat, it's piss easy and can do it with 0.001% of its available processing power. C64 could do it easily with its few MHz of CPU speed. You know that.

I'm not saying that they should include it! I'm saying that it wouldn't be a bloat even if it were there.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

You obviously haven't used a PolySix on an O with arp and Karma going through Fx... Wink

A whole lot better than you might think Laughing
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
McHale wrote:

You obviously haven't used a PolySix on an O with arp and Karma going through Fx... Wink

A whole lot better than you might think Laughing

wait wait wait. I'm not suggesting that the PolySix is a toy or a joke. I'm suggesting that they emulated a PolySix in the Kronos, so why bother emulating Pong? I think the PolySix in the OASYS (and Kronos) sounds fantastic.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I think the PolySix in the OASYS (and Kronos) sounds fantastic.

It may even sound better than the original cheap single oscillator polysynth it is meant to emulate...

A very appreciable Easter egg would be an emulation of a Korg PS-3300. It would even be more appreciable if it was not hidden...

Last edited by EXer on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question might be interesting for some but the thread doesn't make any sense. Nobody knows the answer now except Korg - and they wouldn't reveal it here.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
wait wait wait. I'm not suggesting that the PolySix is a toy or a joke. I'm suggesting that they emulated a PolySix in the Kronos, so why bother emulating Pong? I think the PolySix in the OASYS (and Kronos) sounds fantastic.

Gotcha now - sorry that I misunderstood your post, McHale - and you're right; it is fantastic!

EXer wrote:
A very appreciable Easter egg would be an emulation of a Korg PS-3300. It would even be more appreciable if it was not hidden...

Yes - I would DEFINITELY like that Very Happy

Akos Janca wrote:
The question might be interesting for some but the thread doesn't make any sense. Nobody knows the answer now except Korg - and they wouldn't reveal it here.

Quite - and why buy a Kronos for the easter egg... ? I go to Korg for music, I go to Sony for games... Laughing
jmexio

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Quite - and why buy a Kronos for the easter egg... ? I go to Korg for music, I go to Sony for games... Laughing

And to get your identity and credit card details stolen, which is almost always tremendously fun! Laughing Laughing

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there *is* an easter egg in there: when you press certain keyboard keys (exactly which ones change at random) at the same time, it reboots the unit as an M3 with two synth engines - and this is permanent and can't be reversed. Wink Careful what you wish for...

Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.... Does it work on M3 the other way around? I want to reboot the M3 as a KRONOS.... Laughing
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be worse - the Easter Egg could reboot your Kronos as a Motif or Fantom Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: