Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got the MOSS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Just got the MOSS Reply with quote

I wont lie.. I was very not into the MOSS... I heard it was a joke (MOSS for triton btw)

Then i put it in.. go to bank F

IM BLOWN AWAY.

please, let me know some suggestions you have for the MOSS board, I'de like to see if theres anything I can do thats super awesome

please post and tips and tricks and your favorite stuff!
thanks!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
krazy78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
please, let me know some suggestions you have for the MOSS board,

start programming your own sounds, let the fun begin Very Happy

theres a whole lot of info on the moss in this section, start reading all the
old threads, also check out the download section on korg forums , theres
hundreds of sounds there you can download.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I definately want to start making my own patches. Im having some trouble right now though.
I already have a radias so analog isnt what im interested in this thing. its the brass and EP modeling.
I wanna make a good brass ensemble. any tips?
so far having a little trouble Sad

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I definately want to start making my own patches. Im having some trouble right now though.
I already have a radias so analog isnt what im interested in this thing. its the brass and EP modeling.
I wanna make a good brass ensemble. any tips?
so far having a little trouble Sad

The MOSS Virtual Analog models are quite a bit different than the Radias, particularly the filter and modulation matrix. It's worth exploring as it does some pretty radical sounds.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one board that keep my old Karma stays in the studio.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got MOSS sounds back in my setup. After not having them for years since I sold my Triton Studio (and Trinity V3 before that), I picked up a mint Karma on CL that has the EXB-MOSS in it. Just went though a few of the banks available from the Korg site and I can't believe I've been missing these sounds for so long. So awesome. Happy programming and playing, guys!

Tim
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbinhood, Perhaps in a while you could let me know how you think it compares to the Radias?

I've thought about the MOSS board but the combination of price, polyphony, and general fiddlyeness has put me off. I'd rather invest in that piano EXB-PCMwhatever. I just don't see the point if I'm mainly after synth sounds.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ozy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just got the MOSS Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
please post and tips and tricks and your favorite stuff!

sit down and RTFM.

the best thing for you is to "rewire" your programming attitude on MOSS language.

When I programmed the Prophecy that was the main issue. From there on it was a breeze.

Once you master that, you'll just start from a patch and tweak parameters as you would do on the rompler part of the synth.

But there is NO 1-2-1 correspondence between sample+subtractive parameters and MOSS parameters.

So, mastering the MOSS logic and vocabulary is necessary. Spend a night with the manual.

(it's a night with MOSS, a month with VL, so don't complain Wink )

I am not surprised that you got blown away. It IS a very nice engine.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i pretty much know my triton though and through.. ide like to believe i can make it do most everything i want, i do understand the MOSS engine. thats not the issue at all.
The point of this thread is for people to say what their favorite thing about the MOSS is, theres like a kajillion engines in it and its kind of overwhelming! Especially when im used to the rompler part of it, ive never had so many options in this keyboard, and frankly i king of dont know where to start! Ive never experienced modeling brass or an EP or a string instrument. its very new to me. tips are tricks wouldnt hurt.
But ive read most documents, a lot of stuff (parameters and basic editing stuff) isnt new to me at all.

X-trade:
So far it doesnt compare in the VA department, getting nowhere near the same results. The aliasing is less then the tritons original waveforms, and the new filter routing is definitely welcome! I think at this point, my main thing with the moss is that i wish i could use its engine with the tritons waveforms (choirs etc) that would be nice... making EP's and brass has deemed sorta useless so far cause of the 6 note polyphony.

but the engine is nice!
Also, might i add my opinion of the piano boards
the classical piano on the EXB-01 piano classic keyboards is WAYYYYYYYY better then the EXB pcm 08. I sold the 08 in a day after getting it. it didnt compare! and you get new organs and EPs and clavs with the 01 card. I much prefer it.
I have the samples for the classical piano in the 01 on my site, i've gotten some 5 emails of people saying they use it more then the 08 card lol

Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass should be fine with just 6 voices. Real brass instruments by their nature are monophonic, so six voices gives you a nicely sized ensemble.

As for VA usage, don't dismiss the Moss out of hand. I find Moss sounds a lot fatter than the Radias. They really do sound different. The Moss is also better specified in terms of features and specifications (other than the polyphony). Four LFOs, five multi-stage EGs, enormous modulation capabilities in terms of sources, destinations and available slots, more flexible FM (VPM), considerably more expressive filters, physical modelling, full blown synthesis on both the main oscillators, a flexible sub-osc (effectively a third oscillator), et al... the Radias can't compete in many areas.

Given that the Radias and Moss sound very different, they do complement each other. Any weakness of either of them are boosted by the other so it all balances out.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Robbinhood, Perhaps in a while you could let me know how you think it compares to the Radias?

I've thought about the MOSS board but the combination of price, polyphony, and general fiddlyeness has put me off. I'd rather invest in that piano EXB-PCMwhatever. I just don't see the point if I'm mainly after synth sounds.

If you've never messed with it, it will be like buying a whole new synth, with the benefit of already knowing how to use it (since it will be in your Karma). There are several banks of sounds on the Korg site (including Timo's excellent stuff) and you will definitely find some usable sounds and inspiration. You'll probably quickly realize why several people in these forums already want an update to the Kronos to include MOSS (though I'm not into arguing that).

If you don't dig the thing, you could easily sell it for what you paid.
pillbug

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

If you've never messed with it, it will be like buying a whole new synth, with the benefit of already knowing how to use it (since it will be in your Karma). There are several banks of sounds on the Korg site (including Timo's excellent stuff) and you will definitely find some usable sounds and inspiration. You'll probably quickly realize why several people in these forums already want an update to the Kronos to include MOSS (though I'm not into arguing that).

If you don't dig the thing, you could easily sell it for what you paid.

I agree, the MOSS is a nice upgrade for the Triton, but, does not compare to the almighty RADIAS sound.
johnxyz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys. I've heard the Kronos synth stuff and like it. If i have a Moss, how much of the Kronos synth patches will i be able to replicate?

Put another way, what % of Kronos synth sounds can Moss achieve?
john
johnxyz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and also - does anyone have an opinion on Moss -v- JP8000?

john
mandala music

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnxyz wrote:
.....and also - does anyone have an opinion on Moss -v- JP8000?

john

The 8 voice polyphony of the JP8000 is somewhat misleading. The patches are all dual combinations that sound best when played together so you are only getting 4 voices. The JP8080 is a little bit better with a total polyphony of 10 voices single mode (5 voices dual mode) but I play midi guitar which requires a minimum of 6 voices which sound good. The MOSS produces 6 voices that sound rich to me and need no additional layering. For additional polyphony of 12 voices you can get a Korg Z1 which has the wonderful X-Y pad controller. BTW you can modulate MOSS patches in your Korg Triton by using the X-Y controller of the Z1.

I did 6 banks of Z1 "Pad Plus" patches which I converted for use in the MOSS as "Padplus1 - Padplus6" PCG files. You can download them from the files section of the Yahoo group, "TRITON-EXTREME." If you want the Z1 sysex files, you can download them from the files section of the Yahoo Group, "sysex."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: