Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the OASYS have on KRONOS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowtime

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, maybe $75 or $100? I Would have gladly payed it.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:

Probably significantly more. MI keyboard manufacturers agonize over every part decision, and they know to the penny how much impact each part has on the total price.

The actual cost of adding any part at manufacturing results in a 3x-5x impact on the end user price.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:

What MartinHines says is correct. It would probably be somewhere like $400-$500 more expensive in the end. And that's not good for EU people, isn't it? We're already paying a heck of a lot more than you guys, even with unconfirmed prices over here we know we will.

...unless we save us some € and order overseas. Which is what I think will happen, if Korg doesn't price Kronos cleverly in the EU. Which is what's not gonna happen, I fear.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: to answer the fidelity question I would make a direct A to B comparison plugging both instruments in the same mixer in a quiet studio and let my ear decide.

1. I would try playing on both keyboards with the same (= similarly named!) Programs and Combis.
2. I would also record them internally then compare the resulted digital data.
3. I would load the same Song (including MIDI and Audio tracks) into both instruments and listen to them and record them, too, to compare by ear and a digital editor on computer.
4. I would load my OASYS Programs into Kronos then check how they sound compared to similarly named new factory sounds of Kronos.

ONLY THEN could I give a definite answer.
Mutter

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality Balanced outputs! I always thought this should be standard on a pro keyboard. and if kronos had 4 inputs like the oasys it would be killer and TRS. is ok if not the room for XLR.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OASYS has the all-important function button!
I'm not sure what it does, but I've heard a lot about it...

On a more serious note, the OASYS just emits this higher class of workmanship, design, and inspiration. I think its a kind of placebo denial symptom that occurs almost as soon as you realise how much you paid for it...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
... and inspiration.

Very well put! The O has a 'something' the Kronos doesn't.

Inspiration sums it up nicely as the O was truly a game changer... the Kronos is just a re-hash of an existing instrument.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
the Kronos is just a re-hash of an existing instrument

...with improvements and enhancements.

Korg have done a good job.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
cello wrote:
the Kronos is just a re-hash of an existing instrument

...with improvements and enhancements.

Korg have done a good job.

But not for the people who paid double the price... Evil or Very Mad
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wrong your are Sina. Not everyone has an income every month.

Just like no-one can afford the 300 OASYS (or is it Tritons?) you have or however many it is.

And who said I don't love my OASYS? I think it's the best keyboard produced by any manufacturer, ever.

But I don't like being treated like a fool - and I don't respect a company that chooses to treat a) previous customers as fools and b) future customers as fools.

That is what Korg has done. Future customers are buying a cheap OASYS - with a couple of add ons. Previous customers are being denied the 'extended' OASYS because it's only available if you buy a Kronos.

Yes OASYS is a work of art. Yes, Kronos is absolutely a key landmark. Bit it is simply a re-hash of the OASYS, with add-ons which have been denied the people who have paid double the price.

And before Danatkorg chimes in, I DID NOT PAY DOUBLE THE PRICE BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT USED (Clear enough dan? - by the way are you ever going to reply that pm you requested that was very lengthy or don't you care?) - but I did buy into a concept that the OASYS was the only way I was going to get what the O could do. And then they release the Kronos...

As an adviser to the Kellogg board I am seriously tempted to get them to make the Kronos a case study about how NOT to release a product...

And the evidence is all over korgforums.com.

The only one saving grace of the Kronos is that it can replace my sounds on the O when it dies... other than that the Kronos is nothing special that hasn't been around for 6 years.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the Oasys forum dude,....we are all excited about the Kronos here so get over it man.

cello wrote:
How wrong your are Sina. Not everyone has an income every month.

Just like no-one can afford the 300 OASYS (or is it Tritons?) you have or however many it is.

And who said I don't love my OASYS? I think it's the best keyboard produced by any manufacturer, ever.

But I don't like being treated like a fool - and I don't respect a company that chooses to treat a) previous customers as fools and b) future customers as fools.

That is what Korg has done. Future customers are buying a cheap OASYS - with a couple of add ons. Previous customers are being denied the 'extended' OASYS because it's only available if you buy a Kronos.

Yes OASYS is a work of art. Yes, Kronos is absolutely a key landmark. Bit it is simply a re-hash of the OASYS, with add-ons which have been denied the people who have paid double the price.

And before Danatkorg chimes in, I DID NOT PAY DOUBLE THE PRICE BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT USED (Clear enough dan? - by the way are you ever going to reply that pm you requested that was very lengthy or don't you care?) - but I did buy into a concept that the OASYS was the only way I was going to get what the O could do. And then they release the Kronos...

As an adviser to the Kellogg board I am seriously tempted to get them to make the Kronos a case study about how NOT to release a product...

And the evidence is all over korgforums.com.

The only one saving grace of the Kronos is that it can replace my sounds on the O when it dies... other than that the Kronos is nothing special that hasn't been around for 6 years.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello, I'm not looking to rub salt in your wound, OK? Just chiming in with a perspective. You're free (of course) to take or leave it.

Anyone who bought the Oasys had an opportunity to acquire an amazing keyboard instrument/workstation that simply wasn't available at any other price. Or any other moment in time, at the time. Considering the time difference between the introduction of the O and the K, Oasys owners had at the time of their purchase -- and thus at their disposal -- creative resources which no other workstation provided in sonic character or synthesis type (particularly MOD-7 and STR-1).

As with so many other things technological AND exclusive (c'mon guys, the Oasys was really only affordable to a select few) the initial entrée of a product into the market is going to carry a hefty price tag. And FWIW, the amount of time and resources that went into the production of the Oasys were not exactly slight, as you can probably imagine. I was personally involved for a year and a half on the project, and it was somewhat humbling at first to be included on the development of an instrument that was already many years in the making. All of that R&D and development time had to carry a price tag of some kind. And for those of you who purchased an Oasys, whether you're the type who sneezes out dollar bills when you get a cold, or, you struggled to make payments, you obviously made the investment for a reason. I would simply ask, what was that reason? And why, so many years later, are you having buyer's remorse (or just pissed off that what you have is now being sold for less)?

I don't believe that it could have been foreseen -- in the midst of bringing the Oasys to market at that time -- that a less-expensive version was in the cards any time in the near future. I don't believe that any nefarious forces were or are at work; no fat-cat VP's wringing their hands in back room offices at Korg celebrating the way in which they've fleeced a few thousand people (e.g., the actual number of O's that were sold). No, I just don't see that. It's not the personality of the Korg I know.

If you have an Oasys, I would suggest making the most of it before the rest of the world catches up to utilizing its sounds and capabilities. And you can also take solace in the fact that you have, in your Oasys, some of its features which no Kronos owner will ever have: tilt screen, LED encoders, and other hardware features that give the Oasys a certain feel and panache.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
...and LEDs around knobs and sliders (which is EXCELLENT to have live).

LED's are SO important for control. Really too bad they left these out.

Yep.

IMHO they are VERY important, mostly when you work in the OASYS sequencer and combis.

Korg solved this in a way with the M3 2.0 OS, adding velocity meters in Combi an Sequencer modes, this way they compensate through the screen not having leds in the sliders.

Having the concept developed for the M3 already, I wonder why they didnt included this feature in Kronos, it would be the best a way to compensate not having leds in physical controls the most cost effective way (one they have used previously): Via Software.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
The only one saving grace of the Kronos is that it can replace my sounds on the O when it dies...

And if it dies in 2020 then you probably won't replace it with this Kronos - but with a Kronos III.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: