Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the OASYS have on KRONOS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never realized how many old women hang out here at Korg Forums..
I hope the general attitudes lighten up, there's enough sh_t going on all over the world,
can't we just hang in peace here? Shocked I happen to agree with Sina here.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

I may be in the minority, here. But price to me is JUST a number.
Sina

I'm also with Sina on this one. The satisfaction I get from my Oasys has eclipsed the price point pain several times over. What has me interested in the Kronos are the pianos and the weight and portability of the 61 key model. It seems to me that playing those sounds thru midi on my A90ex keybed will be a lot of fun! It will be the closest thing to having real pianos to play on. (and only weigh a few pounds). Bottom line is, will you be able to expand your creativity and productivity. Those are the "numbers" that are important, not what it costs.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I really didn't want this thread to become another one of those bashing threads as I stated in the OP.

I was just really curious if there was still something about the OASYS that would make it sought after for years to come even with the existance of the Kronos (and whatever else is released in the future).

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Crying or Very sad I really didn't want this thread to become another one of those bashing threads as I stated in the OP.

I was just really curious if there was still something about the OASYS that would make it sought after for years to come even with the existance of the Kronos (and whatever else is released in the future).

Sorry for that EnjoyRC! Although perhaps the exchange shows something about the OASYS - the passion of owning and using one! I still think it's the original and best of its kind. And the OASYS does have some features that the Kronos has (already mentioned above - larger tilting screen, drum pads, etc).

The passion attaching to an OASYS is a powerful thing!
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
The passion attaching to an OASYS is a powerful thing!

Agreed. I'll feel that for my Virus TI for many years to come. I know the feeling.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonork vs sysoa, I can afford the sonork without leaving my wife. Of course I'll always want a sysoa.

Shocked
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

The 8 Individual outputs allow for more "modular" synth signal patching, when using multiple sounds. (I doubt anyone but a couple of people would exploit this.)

what do you mean by "modular" synth signal patching...? and then how would you exploit it? and why do you doubt many would exploit it?

thanks...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

The OASYS feels like a class act and that is very important to a lot of people - it actually enhances your feel, your playing; and I'd say that the Kronos will not have that same effect on its owners. Its not really about amount of sounds - its about all that supports the sounds you play - and in this OASYS is at the highest echelons of modern musical instruments.

Kevin.

how does the Oasys enhance your playing? and why don't you think the Kronos will do that?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 8000 dollar keyboards... fuckin a sina...

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
what do you mean by "modular" synth signal patching...? and then how would you exploit it? and why do you doubt many would exploit it?

In Program mode, you can run one kind of engine's audio signal into another engine's inputs via Master Effect path. Original thread, here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum_archive/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=37139

In Combi and Sequencer modes, you can route 16 engines into one gigantic chain, if you want. The advantage of using the 8 outputs is that you can build a large chain, without having to use up IFX routings.

I never meant that people wouldn't try signal patching, but rather patching more than a few engines would be overkill for many, hence Kronos' 4 individual outs (and other bus paths) should be plenty.

As far as patching engines - Program mode allows for instantaneous interaction between, say an AL-1 or PolySix patched into a MOD-7 operator (or operators). However, Combi and Sequence modes require you to SAVE, leave the mode and make changes in Program mode, SAVE and go back to Combi or Sequence mode to hear the change (similar to the issue of leaving a song to tweak a snare in the Global drum kit). It's all perfectly doable, but you have to plan ahead and be prepared to do some jumping around.

The bus system of the Kronos (2 in/6 out) and OASYS (4 in/10 out) is truly amazing. Add to those ins/outs, Rec busses 1-4, IFX 1-12, MFX 1&2, TFX 1&2, FX busses 1&2, along with the Signal Inputs of MOD-7, AL-1 sub osc, STR-1 audio pickup and the MS-20 input.

In the video link, below, I route a Wavesequence (Ski jam), an HD-1 piano and an HD-1 drum kit (played by a KARMA pattern) into the MS-20 filters. What you see me starting out with is patching the Signal Input (perhaps Output 4 or 3 & 4) into the MS-20. This is a a simple example of using 4 engines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYByUzKqxo

You have to be careful not to overload the signal. Next, I use Tone Adjust to control Input level, Filter and Amp settings of the MS-20. Each knob/slider/switch can be assigned any one of about 200 program parameters. (Plus, their sysex movements can be recorded and played back for layered control of all 16 programs - Tone Adjust 1 - 16!)

Next, you see me set the Input routing of MOD-7. I then raise one operator's pitch to tremolo the audio input. Listen to the resonant attack (wavesequence into MOD-7, with the filter frequency lowered (kind of cool).

It would be easy to have both MOD-7 and the MS-20 running the other 3 engines into their inputs at the same time. You could run 15 (single osc) - 30 synths (dual EXi program) into the MS-20, or you could chain the MS-20 into something else and so on. Like I said, probably not going to happen past a certain point, unless you are a programming masochist! Twisted Evil

What about a real world examples of what the bus system can do? Using Audio Input into MOD-7, you can run your voice through it. Now, assign multiple instances of MOD-7 (on the same MIDI channel) to multiple Pitch Shifters, each with different settings. Imagine 12 (or more) simultaneous Pitch Shifters, which you can record to the Audio Tracks?

You can route any Audio Track into a synth, for interesting passages.

You can overload/distort prior and/or after a filter path. Might be good for Access Virus type sounds.

There are also little things like hearing your voice with effects, but recording it dry or with different effects, all at once.

Or, you might just like to mess around! Very Happy A while back, I posted this example of my voice (sample loop) going through STR-1 and a Waveshaper effect. I held 2 notes - one at original pitch and one 2 octaves lower.

STR-1 Vox
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would challenge that those who think the price-tag is just a number are in the minority.

My stance is that a piece of kit has to justify itself on several levels (and in order) -

1. Sound set
2. Usability
3. Price

I only buy stuff when I can balance those 3 criteria and I still think it's worth getting.
IMHO, not to do this is reckless (unless you've got more money than sense!).

I purchase stuff based on how much money it will make me versus longevity. Which in all fairness is why I invested just shy of £4500 (an equivalent $9000) on my fully loaded Kurzweil K2000 when I bought it back in 1998.
I still use it now and it is a centre-piece in my rig (both live & studio) - it has paid for itself over and over.
This same ethos I use for all my kit, but in all fairness, I've had some "bad" buys (XV5050 springs to mind), so it doesn't always work! Laughing

I'm actually now looking at an Oasys as an alternative to Kronos - seems like a great bargain on the used market.
But those that have bought them for initial price, I would presume most have still got them and intend to hold on to them........

This is where the price becomes a moot point, because over the years (say 8 years), that's only $1000 per year....... pretty good investment really (you lose more when you buy a car!! Laughing )

But for most people, the figures are MAJOR factor.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
I would challenge that those who think the price-tag is just a number are in the minority.

My stance is that a piece of kit has to justify itself on several levels (and in order) -

1. Sound set
2. Usability
3. Price

I only buy stuff when I can balance those 3 criteria and I still think it's worth getting.
IMHO, not to do this is reckless (unless you've got more money than sense!).

I purchase stuff based on how much money it will make me versus longevity. Which in all fairness is why I invested just shy of £4500 (an equivalent $9000) on my fully loaded Kurzweil K2000 when I bought it back in 1998.
I still use it now and it is a centre-piece in my rig (both live & studio) - it has paid for itself over and over.
This same ethos I use for all my kit, but in all fairness, I've had some "bad" buys (XV5050 springs to mind), so it doesn't always work! Laughing

I'm actually now looking at an Oasys as an alternative to Kronos - seems like a great bargain on the used market.
But those that have bought them for initial price, I would presume most have still got them and intend to hold on to them........

This is where the price becomes a moot point, because over the years (say 8 years), that's only $1000 per year....... pretty good investment really (you lose more when you buy a car!! Laughing )

But for most people, the figures are MAJOR factor.

Listen, I have to tell you - as a committed OASYS user (I own two) - you'd be absolutely nuts to buy an OASYS over a Kronos.

In general, I honestly cannot get my head around any issue flagged on these forums, on any level, doubting Kronos. The only explanation for any doubt / concerns on the part of all those pondering owning Kronos but unsure about it is that you simply have not tried it out yet.

I am not belittling the critical process needed to make the right choices; but, you really have to take it on board - the Kronos is THE most sophisticated hardware synthesizer/keyboard/workstaiton ever released. Ever. I only wish I could convey properly the depth and scope of this instrument. It has all of the OASYS (which is simply gargantuan in scope) and then extends it hugely, into the future. Price/performance wise there is absolutely nothing – and I mean absolutely nothing - on the market that comes anywhere close. I mean "anywhere close". ARE YOU HEARING ME?

You are getting an OASYS – AN OASYS HEAR - and all it's development over 5 years, all the EXi's we paid for; and then an equivalent SV-1, stunning stage piano, and more; all integrated beautifully into the most capable performance package ever envisaged, and on top of that total DAW integrations, and then a development future for several years to come; all for 3/5ths the price of an OASYS without MS20Ex, PolySixEX, MOD-7 or EXs3. You will never, EVER, get this opportunity again. Stop doubting Kronos – as said I use OASYS extensively and I simply cannot envisage a future not involving a Kronos.

Comparisons with Kurzweil, Yamaha, Clavia and Roland are simply and flatly massively misplaced. Kronos is unfathomably deeper. You need to take this on board and not make a mistake in not buying one. Again I understand your apparent position - simply because you have not tried OASYS or Kronos. But if you go and spend about the same money on any of the other “alternatives” cited across these threads you will be making the mistake of your musical career. Stop splitting hairs over a few hundred dollars. If Kronos 88 have been released for $10,000 I’d be buying one without question because of my experience with OASYS. I’m not wealthy, I just know what’s coming and it is very, VERY deep. Any doubts are a result of two issues – lack of experience of those not having tried it out and frankly that Korg have made this so cheap that you’re comparing it, mistakenly, with other keyboards at the same price points. None - absolutely none - of the "alternatives" are anywhere close to Kronos. It is, by a country mile, the best thing that can happen to your keyboard experience. You need to take this on board.

I mean this - literally: I own OASYS for five and a half years - and still - uniquely - every time I power it on it feels like the first time I sat at it. It feels new, exciting and unfthomably deep and capable, every time. Kronos will be even deeper than that. The only other instruments I feel that way in front of (among my large keyboard collection) are a Piano and the Yamaha CS80. I've overstated nothing in this post!

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Fri May 06, 2011 11:43 am; edited 6 times in total
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Kevin - I just like to look at lots of options.

My main focus IS still Kronos, my post was ill-thought out (call it early morning/lack of coffee!! Laughing )
My aim was that Oasys is a GREAT used purchase for what you get hardware-wise (additional outputs etc).
As you say, Kronos has significantly moved the game on, but I was attempting to state that dismissing Oasys is a potentially careless act.

Honestly, I can't compare the new Korg, as I haven't played either O or Kronos - something that should be investigated when spending a serious amount of money (checking out the competition is an obvious task - even things such as Kurz, Korg M3 etc Fantom on a used market, up to the value of Kronos - a serious amount of kit).

I've tried most of the competition and eagerly await trying the Kronos - more so as confirmation that I've made the right decision already (usually just prior to handing over the cash!)

Dan Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - I promise you - you'll make the right decision. I've never been more certain of anyting (and again - I'm not a 'fanboy' - I mean this for all the earnest and serious reasons you or any of us can conjure).

cheers!
Kevin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: