Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Graphic Sequencer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Or you can go to http://www.reverbnation.com/sinasmusic and hear even more...

Sina

Sh!t, sh!t, sh!t. Hate to say it - but you're producing some good stuff there - commercial but good. No jokes. I liked a good number of the tracks. And well produced too.

But... I didn't hear 8 Os and 48 Ts and 2 Fs (altogether in one piece). Your music is good - doesn't need your 'embellishments'.

If I'm to be a little critical - you need to work on how you use orchestral strings. Go listen to an orchestra; hear - no, feel - what it's like, then do it again.

But thanks for sharing - you've made me trust you a little more; but you could have achieved all those pieces with 2 or maybe 3 keyboards, not 50 or however many it is - so let's enjoy living in the world of reality?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." Charles Darwin

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than to open it and to remove all doubt." Mark Twain

Dan Laughing

Another one for you...

"Confidence is the feeling you have before you know all the facts..."

Don't know who said it - but it's absolutely right!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - yeh, I like that one Laughing

Got to echo your +ve comments about the music - quite like it, as I'm into commercial pop stuff. Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best arrangements I know are always those with limited tracks (in the sense of distinct sounds, not in the sence of practical organisation) .

I personally even have the impression that any huge number of used tracks/sounds (like often heard in modern music industry crap) is a clear indicator of one of two or both:

- trying to hide the missing feeling and structure of a song (or often it's utter banality) by pouring a massive pot of ear glue on everything (most times overcompressed mass instead of dynamic class)
- generally overestimating sound compared to melodic and harmonic content and economical, but effective arrangement. I admire people who are good at that, not the followers of anything from the "wall of sound" school up to actual overcompressed radio and TV crap.

For sequencing basic song structures I never need more than 16 midi tracks on a hardware sequencer, just because I would never do the whole song arrangement on these very limited devices. I'm no recording masochist. But for developing a basic song structure and a basic arrangement directly at such a versatile sound tool as the Kronos, a 16midi/8 stereo audio track sequencer is VERY welcome to me. I still can do things like using separate drum tracks after import into a powerful software sequencer.

So my first priority for such a tool would never be the number of possible midi tracks, but instead always the quality of the available editing functions in the first place. And I hope very much, that the Kronos sequencer will be developed further than that of the Oasys some day, concerning things like piano roll editor and editing functionality. It's ok for the start, as far as I see, with good overall song overview, but probably not much more as it is now.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

I have that many Tritons because of the Program and Combi banks...

I'm still confused ... wouldn't it be more practical to own 1 triton and have 48 PCG files? Physically hooking up a Triton into your system just to use it sounds pretty cumbersome and costly just to store PCG data. Kinda like buying a new car every time you run out of gas ... or burning your house down and just buying new things every time you move (which i always say i'm gonna do next time i move even though i never do).
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I agree, more audio parts or tracks do not always mean better sound or song.

Number of MIDI Tracks in a sequencer and MIDI Parts (multitimberal parts) are separate things.

I could have 5 MIDI tracks running a single MIDI Part. I could have MIDI note data, volume, pan, filter automation, or different takes, on separate tracks. Or I could have kick, snare, hats.. etc on separate tracks, but still all running the same MIDI part or sound.

So, the more MIDI tracks on a sequencer, the better, PROVIDED, proper and comprehensive editing tools are present.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil,I agree here

In terms of Midi tracks,I can easily clock up around 35-60 seperate Midi tracks,in an average track,which includes seperate tracks for non note data(ie CC or sys ex etc)hence why the Oasys sequencer is not sufficent for sequencing for myself but thats down to keeping every sound/Midi data on its own track,which can amount to 10 or so for Drums with layering and stuff of drum sounds on some tracks more.I like to keep everything(including CC) on a seperate tracks mainly for editing reasons.

16 Midi Channels in the Oasys sequencer is fine but it would be nice to be also not sacrificing the use of track count over channel allocation,this is perhaps one of the biggest bug bears with it,keep it as a 16 channel device,but give it 128 midi tracks and also the option to run 16 Internal sounds as well as 16 external channels

I hate the fact you have to either use an internal or external sound on a track if you wish to run outboard gear,I don't want to have to record that Device or commit to an audio track on the Oasys to free that track up for that purpose of midi allocation to get round it!

When it comes to Audio,I rarely ever use more than 20 at the most Audio tracks,and again most of these are because of keeping drums processed individually,I will then bounce the Drums down to a stereo pair and a final track can amount to no more than around 10-12 Audio tracks tops at least 4 of those dedicated for vocals,its one of the reasons I Prefer to use a Hardware Multitrack as having a limited count of 16 tracks makes you think wisely about your mixing process,Computers are great but I think a lot of people get lost in what they are trying to achieve just because the options to keep adding are there.

I have seen engineers using anywhere from 60-100 audio tracks upwards,
but a lot of this is because of having many instances of the same tracks with different processing for different mixes,rather than work from scratch on every mix, the audio is simply kept within the same project

For me if you can't get across the feeling of a song in a simple arrangement beefing it up with layers beyond what you need just because the processing is there to do it kind of belittles what your trying to emotionally put across.but there are many people who do.

I've seen people fall into the trap of thinking that because it looks good on screen it must sound good,which kind of defeats the whole process of Mixing audio with your ears.

I've always been of the less is more approach when it comes to Audio tracking
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
I liked a good number of the tracks.

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
Got to echo your +ve comments about the music - quite like it...

+1 here.
JimH

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

You don't get it, do you?

1 Triton with 48 PCG files means I HAVE TO LOAD THEM IN EVERY SINGLE TIME I NEED ACCESS TO A CERTAIN PALLET OF PROGRAMS AND COMBIS!

I don't know if it's so much that people don't get it. Loading files may be an inconvenience. But it's more about, to most of us who are not rich, the inconvenience of loading a file doesn't outweigh tens of thousands of dollars in expense. But I was wondering something else. How does the inconvenience of loading files compare to the inconvenience of making space for 48 Tritons, having them all ready to go (or else it might be an inconvenience worse than loading files) and routing all the outputs. Or do you have them all stacked up vertically against a wall and only grab the one you want and plug it in? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm really curious.)
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

You don't get it, do you?

1 Triton with 48 PCG files means I HAVE TO LOAD THEM IN EVERY SINGLE TIME I NEED ACCESS TO A CERTAIN PALLET OF PROGRAMS AND COMBIS!

I don't know if it's so much that people don't get it. Loading files may be an inconvenience. But it's more about, to most of us who are not rich, the inconvenience of loading a file doesn't outweigh tens of thousands of dollars in expense. But I was wondering something else. How does the inconvenience of loading files compare to the inconvenience of making space for 48 Tritons, having them all ready to go (or else it might be an inconvenience worse than loading files) and routing all the outputs. Or do you have them all stacked up vertically against a wall and only grab the one you want and plug it in? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm really curious.)

Yes 48 keyboards seems quite overkill. Emphasis on Quite.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

Space is NOT an issue for me, nor is money...

Hey, Sina.

I'm wondering if you can help me? I'm a relative of a royal family from Nigeria. All you have to do is . . .
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sina,
Do you have other synths besides the Tritons & Karmas?
Cool tracks, btw! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: