Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Graphic Sequencer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hardware sequencer, as things are now, will have to be a compromise.
So I don't think anyone should expect things like Cubase, X1 or Logic on a hardware synth.

But a compromise, here I agree, could and should probably be a little more advanced now than the Oasys sequencer was. So while it is fine to have at least that one on board, it would be great to see it updated with some more editing power and at least at M3 level. I see no reason why this couldn't be reached with a future update, and it is ok to start with the present one for the time being from my view.

Developing the Kronos was a big effort by Korg, with many details to cover up to preset and drum pattern programming. So I think we should give them a break after publishing a stable OS version 1, before further development wishes.
jahrome

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its time to revisit this thread after using Kronos for the past week.

1. Track View/Piano roll/Drum Grid Matrix. #1 drawback of Kronos' sequencer. These tools are not available in Kronos. These are commonly found in hardware sequencers. Even the M3 has an excellent Track View/piano roll editor. The M3s Track View even has the "location bar" also known as "playhead marker" that I have discussed in other threads. Any mode that has graphic audio/MIDI editing should have a location bar so you know what part of a sample/MIDI sequencing is currently being auditioned. This is my biggest complaint everything else could be considered minor.

2. Editing while sequencer is playing/recording. I love this function in the latest MPCs. I can fully edit or enter in mode of an MPC without stopping the sequencer. This would be a welcomed addition to Kronos.

3. Metronome. An option to customize the rate at which the metronome triggers would be welcomed.

4. Cue lists. M3 and MPCs have this tool for quickly building a song. Cue lists are absent in the Kronos.

5.. Time Stretch. Have audio tracks automatically sync to tempo.

6. Note repeat. Last but not least...I am sure Kronos has this function buried deep in Karma that I haven't quite figured out.

....I think I won't be putting away my MPC
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jahrome,

Even after reading the specs etc, I've never held out much hope for a good sequencer. And to be honest, I don't think it would be a feature I would use anyway (I've got Logic 9).......
It does seem bizarre that Korg have better sequencer available to them, yet choose to use the older/weaker system.
Perhaps this is further suggestion that Kronos, in some ways. is a "parts-bin" machine, utilising old Oasys bits just to use them up (bit harsh, but you know what I mean). It could also simply be down to budget - put in more advanced features, and the consumer price goes up - lots of people baulked at the price anyway!
With any luck Korg will realise that there is an opportunity to put it right and do so.

There may also be a technical reason why M3's sequencer can't be used....
I don't know this as I don't either: but are M3/Oasys sequence files even compatible? If not, there's a possible reason...
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

If not, there's a possible reason...

Mmm... No.
Not likely.

I can´t think of any scenario where the OASYS/Kronos resources can´t manage and update like the one M3 had just for technical reasons.

In this regard Kronos is as capable as M3 (much more in fact) to get those actualizations in its sequecer mode if Korg wanted to.

Quote:

With any luck Korg will realise that there is an opportunity to put it right and do so.

Maybe they´ll do, yep.

But honestly, if it was not implemented from the start when developing Kronos, bearig in mind all requests the OASYS had in that regard, I don´t see korg doing it in the future, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tool like the sequencer in the Kronos has to serve a certain purpose.
From my view this is NOT substituting a hardware sequencer.

BUT:
The relative value of the onboard sequencer still is very high from a practical perspective. It means that you can sit down recording directly in front of one instrument, which is covering a very big part of the sound palette you use, allowing you to get ideas into sonic context very fast, without any distraction of using other gear. Then you can complete the material later on your software sequencer.

Even for this limited(!) purpose the present (Oasys) sequencer is not more than a good start, and I think Jahrome is right that it should at least be updated to M3 level, to become really useful and appreciated by Kronos users. Especially his points 1 and 4 are simply essential for ANY sequencer concept from my view. Wthout a proper update this sequencer would stay neither fish nor flesh and be irgnored by most of the users in the long run.

I'm still quite confident that Korg is aware of the task, and that such an update will be just a matter of time, just like cracking the contra-productive 2Gb memory limitation.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:
ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

If not, there's a possible reason...

Mmm... No.
Not likely.

I can´t think of any scenario where the OASYS/Kronos resources can´t manage and update like the one M3 had just for technical reasons.

In this regard Kronos is as capable as M3 (much more in fact) to get those actualizations in its sequecer mode if Korg wanted to.

Quote:

Maybe they´ll do, yep.

But honestly, if it was not implemented from the start when developing Kronos, bearig in mind all requests the OASYS had in that regard, I don´t see korg doing it in the future, IMHO.

I agree, buy it for what it is. But somehow, I have a feeling that a future update may produce M3 sequencer features and Karma 3.0.
(Just a hunch that is!) .. If not, oh well..
Ric4001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing stopping me from buying a Kronos are the issues highlighted in this thread. A workstation is my creative center and I want to be able to capture ideas and massage them while at the keyboard, which includes recording scratch audio tracks and adjusting the tempo of the song with the audio tracks following. That's how I've used my Roland G6, despite it's own sequencer limitations, and was really hoping the Kronos would be a step forward. I don't see DAWs as a substitute for this -- being able to do this basic editing while I'm at the keyboard creating the tracks is essential to the creative process.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ric4001 wrote:
The only thing stopping me from buying a Kronos are the issues highlighted in this thread. A workstation is my creative center and I want to be able to capture ideas and massage them while at the keyboard, which includes recording scratch audio tracks and adjusting the tempo of the song with the audio tracks following. That's how I've used my Roland G6, despite it's own sequencer limitations, and was really hoping the Kronos would be a step forward. I don't see DAWs as a substitute for this -- being able to do this basic editing while I'm at the keyboard creating the tracks is essential to the creative process.

I'm the same,I have several hardware sequencers(MV/MPC)I also have the Oasys,I could give you a thread of 60 pages based on the shortcomings of the Kronos/Oasys sequencer,Like yourself I would like one single workstation with the "Ultimate" Sequencing/Audio package,I don't like using Computers whatsoever for music production,I've recently been using a Fantom G,and although it doesn't have so much feature wise as the MV/MPC its a step in the right direction,that I have now purchased my own G6(which should be here today) to be the central hub of the studio,that I can compose arrange and mix inside one single workstation,The Oasys is a 16 track workstation that you have to compromise between internal and external sounds at least the Fantom has the option of 16 internal as well as external,something I severely need in a workstation along with the Drag and drop approach like the MV for arranging etc,I've been really impressed with the Fantom Sequencing abilities on the G8 I loaned for a couple of weeks,even if many complain its still half baked Its still light years ahead of the korg sequencers

The Oasys/Kronos lack so many basic operations for keeping the workflow that I refuse to ever use these sequencers anymore or purchase a Korg workstation again unless Korg reinvent them from tthe ground up to be more of a real sequencing tool rather than simply an Idea scratchpad!you spend all this money on a "Workstation" that simply only becomes an expensive Sound module with a few controllors bolted on its certainly How my Oasys has ended up,should the Kronos come in a rack option I'd gladly sell the Oasys and replace it with a Kronos Rack alternative
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: