Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought anything since pre-ordering the Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a wonderful bottle of Port Ellen 30yr old whisky for my collection! Does that count? Wink

Oops, edited to say I've just realised I can't play this game as I've not pre-ordered the Kronos.

Sorry - please ignore! Laughing
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha S90XS
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha MOX8. I think it will probably be the 88 I'll put under a Kronos 61.
irtehyar

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A travel case for it!
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irtehyar wrote:
A travel case for it!

...and your choice for a case was?...
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthvalley wrote:

I know you're not asking me, but, Gator GKPE-88-TSA Case

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Synthvalley wrote:

What else?!?!? (is there Razz )
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I appreciate the input...
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Synthvalley wrote:

What makes it better than other flight cases? How does the weight and strength compare? I'm going to need a flight case, and had been planning to get a more typical looking one, but I'm grateful for recommendations.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had serious reliability issues with the hardware fitted to the Gator ABS shell cases. I've owned 2 of them (both 76 key sizes), one of which I still have, but barely a month goes by without one of the 3 handles coming off. The bolts that hold the handles on are either not man enough for the job or they need some form of locking/gripping mechanism to stop them coming undone. They are incredibly awkward to refit once they come off as you need to either pull back the inner polystyrene shell to access the bolt head or do as I do and simply punch a small hole through the polystyrene to access the bolt head directly with a screw-driver to screw it back into place... that is of course once you've managed to find it again from wherever it's worked it's way to underneath the polystyrene.

When I get a K73, I'll be buying a more conventional hex-board or ply/stucco flightcase as, whilst they're a little bit heavier, they're far easier to maintain.
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

Even Without aftertouch?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthesizedclapping wrote:
Scott wrote:

Even Without aftertouch?

Yeah... I wish it had AT, but at least I'll have it in one of the two boards. The problem is that there are no lightweight piano-action 88s that have AT.

I originally was thinking about going with the Nord Stage 2 and settling for 76 keys, but even that was 36 lbs despite losing the octave. And having lifted both, for some reason, that last 3.4 pounds over the MOX8 is really noticeable. Maybe that's where my weight threshold is, or maybe it has to do with how the weight is distributed in the board and/or how easy it is to grip, but for whatever reason, I found the MOX8 decidedly more manageable. The MOX8 is also a bit more flexible as a controller (i.e. a user patch can include up to 4 external zones, vs. 2 on the Nord). Though I do really like the Nord Sample Library, and I won't know until I get the Kronos whether I'll really prefer its piano sound over the Nord's Bosendorfer, despite the Korg's obvious technical advantages.

The other board that appeals to me (in theory, since I've never played one), is the VAX77, which actually has polyphonic aftertouch, and is reported to have a really terrific feel. But again, compared to the MOX8, it's fewer keys, and is a bit heavier, and also, since it has no sounds of its own, doesn't provide "backup" as the other options do if I have some kind of failure with the Kronos (or allow me to play through a 2+ minute Kronos reboot if necessary). Still, it tempts me. I could always pull out my 5 pound Microstation for backup!

The MOX8 also has the advantage of being far less expensive than those other options...
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Synthesizedclapping wrote:
Scott wrote:

Even Without aftertouch?

Yeah... I wish it had AT, but at least I'll have it in one of the two boards. The problem is that there are no lightweight piano-action 88s that have AT.

I originally was thinking about going with the Nord Stage 2 and settling for 76 keys, but even that was 36 lbs despite losing the octave. And having lifted both, for some reason, that last 3.4 pounds over the MOX8 is really noticeable. Maybe that's where my weight threshold is, or maybe it has to do with how the weight is distributed in the board and/or how easy it is to grip, but for whatever reason, I found the MOX8 decidedly more manageable. The MOX8 is also a bit more flexible as a controller (i.e. a user patch can include up to 4 external zones, vs. 2 on the Nord). Though I do really like the Nord Sample Library, and I won't know until I get the Kronos whether I'll really prefer its piano sound over the Nord's Bosendorfer, despite the Korg's obvious technical advantages.

The other board that appeals to me (in theory, since I've never played one), is the VAX77, which actually has polyphonic aftertouch, and is reported to have a really terrific feel. But again, compared to the MOX8, it's fewer keys, and is a bit heavier, and also, since it has no sounds of its own, doesn't provide "backup" as the other options do if I have some kind of failure with the Kronos (or allow me to play through a 2+ minute Kronos reboot if necessary). Still, it tempts me. I could always pull out my 5 pound Microstation for backup!

The MOX8 also has the advantage of being far less expensive than those other options...

How about the akai MPK 88 at 67 pounds? Very Happy
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have made some purchases since pre-ordering my Kronos 88 in January. When you get GAS.. you get G.A.S.!!!!

I have purchased:
New 2011 Apple MacBook Pro to host Ableton Live
Omnisphere v1.5 w/Bob Moog Tribute expansion
EZDrummer w/expansions
M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 to control Ableton Live and VSTs
M-Audio Venom VA Synth
2 x Spider Pro keyboard stands

And now my latest investment.. I'm about to send my Prophet 600 off to WineCountry for restoration!!! I'm so excited about this. You know who WineCountry in California is right? They're the original Sequencial Circuit dudes. So getting service done by the original guys. Very cool!!!

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: