Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma randomly sustaining notes SOLVED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Karma randomly sustaining notes SOLVED Reply with quote

So I today got a call from a potential client (i repair keyboards...) and he said his triton extreme was sustaining notes with no sustain pedal plugged in and it was ruining his live performances. So ive seen this around the forums a number of times... i almost turned the guy away cause i didnt know the solution, i thought it honestly couldve been a major defect in the triton line as many of you do so believe.. but i took the chances, and i told him to bring it in.

I had a hunch, i remember my ProX had a crackly output RANDOMLY! and upon opening it, i discovered a little tiny foot on the jack came unsoldered (the solder broke rather...) cause of this bastard called gravity. So i took this hunch and dug my way to the small board with the pedal jacks. And i wiggled the damper jack with my finger a little, and i felt it wiggle.. only on one side... but none the less, i felt something. Now to the busy repairman, he may think its normal and not give a crap and send you on your way and charge you a $200 inspection fee. and you go home with a useless keyboard! But i took it out, and sure enough, the little foot was slightly SLIGHTLY unsoldered! i laid it flat on a table and tapped it a few times (the table) and sure enough the joint moved wich would make this happen randomly. So i re soldered it in... and sure enough... no more hanging notes, damper works properly, and the guy is happy and took a good 20 business cards with him! So i think i may have found the solution to the known issue of the random sustain! I will now post a short guide on how to do this, if youre uncomfortable doing this, take it to a repair man and show him this so he knows what to look for. if youre in california (LA, OC, or surrounding areas) take it to me! I will do it cheap Very Happy

You will need:
Screwdriver
patience!
a steady hand (you can rip wires if youre excited)
a soldering iron/gun
solder (i use 60/40)
about an hour 1/2
a box to put screws step by step!

place the triton or keyboard upside down on a surface with the joystick off the surface hanging, you can severely damage your joystick if you have it on the table (common sense people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Take off the back plate, this is a good time to change the CR-2032 battery that makes your triton say BATTERY CALENDAR LOW, these are like 4 bux at the local pharmacy. pretty easy to replace.
anyway, you should have taken off ~50 screws. set it aside, remember to be organized!!!!
now you will only take off the output board (this is for a triton extreme) you will see the compact flash board and everything, this board is the most connections on it.
Get a sharpie multi colors are better. and mark each tooth base to the female end to remember how to put it back together easier... now take off the screws on the side of the keyboard, make sure you only take off the ones for the output board!!!!!! (where the L/R 1234 outputs are). now unscrew the board, and take it out, immediately you will see the board with the MIDI and pedal jacks.

take out the two connections, and unscrew the the board from the side of the keyboard (three screws)
now look on the bottom of the board, look at the damper jack in particular, and if you notice one of the feet (if you have to ask, take it to someone)wiggling a little, then you found your culprit. simply fire up your soldering iron, and put a tad bit of solder on there, and then heat it up, and push it back down into place and let the solder go cold

then put it all back together, if you have to ask TAKE IT TO A REPAIRMAN.

this should solve the issue! Now go ahead and chop off the 1/4 inch tip on your pedal and put a right angle one on there, that should solve this issue for time to come.

enjoy your fixed triton!
this may not be everyones issue, but im sorta convinced it is....

I will be copying and pasting this in all triton sections for all to see, as many users have experienced this.

I charged this guy $75 for this fix. wich is dirt cheap. dont get ripped off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbin Hood, indeed...

Forget taking from the rich, as I see it, you're taking money out of your own pocket to give to the poor (or at least ignorant).

Kudos, not just for extreme competence, but for sharing the knowledge and posting where it will do the most good. I'm sure this will come in handy even in the wilds of suburban Northern Virginia.

Thanks,

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My assistant was like IF NOONE HAS SOLVED IT. DONT IVE IT AWAY! and im like.. but this will help people outside LA you know? if theyre in LA i hope they will bring it to me, but i dont want the triton community to suffer. I was playing this guys triton before i fixed it, i dont see how anyone could live with that.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
davehubbard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: THANKS!! Reply with quote

My Triton Extreme has the same problem, and after reading your instructions, I'm certain the fix will be the same. THANKS!!! I have been wondering how I would get this repaired before my next gig, but now I have the solution.
jdcraw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: sustain jack repair Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for your repair information. I have a problem with my triton for years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: