Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg is torturing me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chriskk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

I really wanted to like the M3. Its white color was the deal breaker. I just can't own a white keyboard.

Now I'd love to buy a Kronos 73. Why can't Korg offer synth action on the model? 61 keys are too limiting.

I'm a classically trained pianist and own a grand piano. I love weighted action keyboards. However, I prefer synth action on synths. To me, Korg's weighted action feels worse, is less reliable and noisier than the Yamaha & Roland counterpart. Plus, it makes the Kronos 73 heavy. Except the Oasys 73, Korg has always used synth action on a non-88-key workstations before. I hope Korg offers a synth action version of the 73 Sad
Slovenec

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Korg should have a 73 key unweighted keyboard version. It's a much lighter option and the majority of players after a weighted keyboard would simply bite the bullet and get 88 keys. Afterall the 73 key version isn't that much more compact and lighter than the 88 key version!

Why Korg went down this path is also strange IMHO as they've provided a 61/76 unweighted (73 in the case of the M3) and 88 weighed key option right back from 1989 when the T series was released. I still own and very much love my T3EX!

As a matter of fact, I think Korg were the company who got the ball rolling by offering workstations with different key configuration options? Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Alesis & Ensoniq followed suit a few years later.

Anyway, I'm sure that Korg would sell a lot of unweighted 73 key Kronos' if they offered this configuration!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
I really wanted to like the M3. Its white color was the deal breaker. I just can't own a white keyboard.
If Bosendorfers were all pink camouflage, I'd still want one.

Chriskk wrote:
Now I'd love to buy a Kronos 73. Why can't Korg offer synth action on the model? 61 keys are too limiting.
I understand this viewpoint. I've also seen Jim Ridl show up for a gig w/ Denis DiBlasio (jazz) and absolutely dominate on just a JV80's piano patch. That put things into perspective for me.

Chriskk wrote:
I'm a classically trained pianist and own a grand piano. I love weighted action keyboards. However, I prefer synth action on synths. To me, Korg's weighted action feels worse, is less reliable and noisier than the Yamaha & Roland counterpart. Plus, it makes the Kronos 73 heavy. Except the Oasys 73, Korg has always used synth action on a non-88-key workstations before.
You might go the route I'm taking and just get used to the 61 key form factor (which is great for organ, BTW) and then add the best feeling 88 controller you can find. I chose a Numa Nano for the light weight and great feel.

Chriskk wrote:
I hope Korg offers a synth action version of the 73 Sad
I wonder if any company has expanded a lineup in such a way. As in, created a new format for a synth months after the initial announcements and release.
ozy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Chriskk wrote:
I just can't own a white keyboard.
If Bosendorfers were all pink camouflage, I'd still want one.

Elton John has TWO pink camouflage Boesendoerfer.

One is located in his StMoritz house spa.

So, you can order one online using their web site.

In case you recently ordered online a child as well,

you can order a yellow-brick-road theme 25-minikeys Fazioli for its nursery.

Really.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
As in, created a new format for a synth months after the initial announcements and release.

Well it was years, not months, but after offering a 73-key organ-action version of the Electro 3, Nord just came out with a 73-key piano-action version, and both models co-exist in the line.

If Korg had offered a 73-key organ-action Kronos that ended in a high C, I would have bought that. Instead, I ordered the 61. Either way, I'd add a lightweight piano-action board underneath it.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:
As in, created a new format for a synth months after the initial announcements and release.

Well it was years, not months, but after offering a 73-key organ-action version of the Electro 3, Nord just came out with a 73-key piano-action version, and both models co-exist in the line.

Good example. That would be the opposite direction, then, that people seem to be asking for in the case of the Kronos. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg is torturing me Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Good example. That would be the opposite direction, then, that people seem to be asking for in the case of the Kronos. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yup!

In the case of the Electro 3, though, I think a 73-key weighted action makes a lot more sense than a 73-key unweighted. They have a 61, and I would think that the biggest reasons someone would want more than 61 keys is either for piano or for splits, and the E3 doesn't do splits, and the E3's unweighted action is particularly poor for piano, so I don't see why anyone would want a 73-key unweighted E3. At least the weighted version makes sense for piano players. And in Nord's case, the 73-key weighted action is only 24 pounds (6 pounds more than the unweighted), so weight isn't a reason to get the lighter action either.

An unweighted 73-key Kronos makes more sense than an unweighted 73-Key E3, because unlike the E3, the Kronos is useful for splits and because the weighted version of the Kronos weighs so much. Plus it probably would have been (or could be) the 73-key C-to-C arrangement of the M3, which I prefer.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and don't forget the Nord Stage Compact. The Stage 76 is weighted, but the Stage Compact is semi-weighted, and only weighs 21 pounds!!!

And +1 with you Scott: C to C note range (or even more keys: C to E for example). As a piano player my left hand is always looking to reach as low as it can go, but rarely the other way around. Unfortunately on the Stage Compact Nord made an unforgiveable mistake: F-F range! WTF were they thinking?

And why not put the joystick on top, follow the example of the Nord Stage. This would make this particular version of the Kronos esp. sought after by gigging musicians (that and an under 30 pound weight)! I really hate having to schleep extra long boards; my Stage 88 is manageable 'cause it doesn't have that extra 6" on the left side.

Last edited by Randelph on Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:

Slovenec wrote:
I agree that Korg should have a 73 key unweighted keyboard version.

76 semi weighted synth action, not 73 !

If you're used to play on a 76 semi weighted kbd (Trinity Pro, Triton Pro, Oasys 76, EX5, Motif 7, XP-80, Fantom 7...) you don't want to lose your landmarks. 76 is a standard de facto.

What do Korg have in mind with their 73 heavy weighted kbd? Did they produce too many 73 kbds for the SV1? Do they have a stockpile to dispose of?
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Chriskk wrote:

Slovenec wrote:
I agree that Korg should have a 73 key unweighted keyboard version.

If you're used to play on a 76 semi weighted kbd (Trinity Pro, Triton Pro, Oasys 76, EX5, Motif 7, XP-80, Fantom 7...) you don't want to lose your landmarks. 76 is a standard de facto.

What do Korg have in mind with their 73 heavy weighted kbd? Did they produce too many 73 kbds for the SV1? Do they have a stockpile to dispose of?

If you think that 76 E-G is a better standard than 73 E to E, great. If you like it the other way, cool. I personally think that starting a keyboard on E sucks. As others have also mentioned, I'd rather see 73 C-C or, even better, 76 A-C like a piano (a real de facto standard). Of course, this is a rather subjective thing.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73/76 whatever..lol..

I for applaud korg for offering (and its a first i think) a workstation that has a great piano and a seventy something key bed that can be used to play it...

but then again, I think all the big three need to step up to the plate and offer FOUR keyboard versions.. with 76 being in both semi weighted and weighted..
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
And +1 with you Scott: C to C note range (or even more keys: C to E for example). As a piano player my left hand is always looking to reach as low as it can go, but rarely the other way around. Unfortunately on the Stage Compact Nord made an unforgiveable mistake: F-F range! WTF were they thinking?

Yes, I worry about "running out" on bottom much more than on top. Most organs and pianos have always had a C on top, I'd rather the top key always be C. If it's 73, go down to low C. If it's 76, go down to low A.

The Vax77 implements that in a very clever way. It goes down to A, so you have the full "piano" span except the top octave, and if you need to access the top octave, there's a foot pedal you can hold to temporarily shift the keyboard up an octave so you can get up there on those rare cases, then release the pedal to be back to normal. Those two positions give you access to every piano key. In Korg's layout, you need three positions... standard, and octave up if you need to get to the top of the piano's range, and octave down if you need to get to the bottom.

As for Nord, there are technical reasons the Compacts stop at F (there's no properly designed ending low E key from their supplier, Fatar), but that being the case, again, I don't know why they just didn't choose C-to-C.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

Or maybe their 73-key SV1 was a big seller, so they were encouraged to do the same.

I do see one virtue of a 73 over a 76. Some people are already complaining that the 73 doesn't save you enough weight or length compared to the 88 to really be worthwhile. If it were a 76, it's weight and length would be even closer to the 88, so even more people might say, why bother with it?
Nightowl3272

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a synth-weighted 73-76 keyboard for road use. It's lighter to transport, easier on the hands, has more keys than a 61k yet is smaller/lighter than an 88k. It's perfect....

I am surprised and disappointed to see Korg split from tradition on this model. This might even be a deal breaker for me but I'm guessing that there are probably many people who are overjoyed as well.

My OASYS is collecting dust because I simply can't bring it on a plane; it's too big, too heavy, and too fragile for flight. I thought the Kronos was the answer as it appears to be a smaller/lighter OASYS (and more) but Korg threw me a curve ball. Confused
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightowl3272 wrote:
I prefer a synth-weighted 73-76 keyboard for road use. It's lighter to transport, easier on the hands, has more keys than a 61k yet is smaller/lighter than an 88k. It's perfect....

I'll pair the Kronos 61 with some other weighted board for piano action.

For the 23 pound and $800 difference between the Kronos 61 and the Kronos 88, you can get a Casio PX3, and have the benefit of having both weighted and unweighted actions, more keys to split sounds across, backup if one board fails (or needs to be rebooted), and the weight is much more manageable when split into two pieces. There are some even less expensive 88s that are almost as light (including Korg's own SP170, though I happen to be partial to the Yamaha P95).

If you're willing to spend more money, or deal with a little more weight, there are other nice weighted boards you could put under a Kronos 61, like a Yamaha MOX8 or a Nord Electro 3 HP which could each complement the Kronos in different ways.

Last edited by Scott on Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: