Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splitting sounds across keyboards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Splitting sounds across keyboards Reply with quote

Scenario: I want to create a setup where I am triggering four Kronos Programs... triggering two from its own keyboard (split, one sound on each half of the keyboard), and triggering two more sounds from an external keyboard (also split, one sound on each half of the keyboard).

I understand that I can set up a Combi with an internal split; and I think that as part of that Combi, I can assign other sounds to other MIDI channels. If that's the case, as long as my external keyboard can transmit on different channels for each side of its keyboard, I'm all set. Will at least that much work?

Now, what if my external keyboard only transmits on one MIDI channel? Can the Kronos take a MIDI input from another keyboard on a single MIDI channel, and assign different Programs to different key ranges of that external keyboard? While still also assigning additional programs to different key ranges of its own internal keyboard? Perhaps by having the internal keyboard triggering one Combi, and having the external keyboard triggering another Combi on some specified MIDI channel? Or some other way?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is yes. To all of it.

Timbres have a number of MIDI related parameters, namely:
-MIDI channel
-Key Zone
-Velocity Zone
-Velocity Zone fading
-Key Zone fading

So just because you assign a timbre to another MIDI channel, doesn't mean you can't still split it across keys or even by velocity.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now, what if my external keyboard only transmits on one MIDI channel? Can the Kronos take a MIDI input from another keyboard on a single MIDI channel, and assign different Programs to different key ranges of that external keyboard? While still also assigning additional programs to different key ranges of its own internal keyboard?"

Lets say your Kronos plays track / voice 1 + 2 (split, layered, velo-faded, etc.) and your ext-midi control is set up for channel 16.

Midi comes in on channel 16 left hand &/or right - whatever you play.

In the Combi any channel can be assigned to any track, so if voice 3 or 4 is set to Midi channel 16 it plays only in response only to Midi-16 controls, so if voice track 3 is bass - channel 16 - range 0-48, and voice track 4 is set 16 and responds only to 16 controls playing strings with a range of 68-127 @ velocities lower than 100 the channels will do their jobs as intended. And for ranges where there's NO channel assigned (in this example between notes 49 to 67) NO sound will come. Channel 16 won't play any other channel's programs.

The response of the sound generator (Kronos) depends on the note on/note off, range, and velocity and channel assignment -- point of origin doesn't really figure into it (it can be Karma playing those tracks just as easily as an external controller).

-------

I'm not sure about combi on combi midi splits, but there are 16 channels and multiple engines -- I think you can see that there are potentially massive combis that could be written to do exactly what you want.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful replies. Now I'd like to add one more wrinkle...

Over part of the range of the "external" keyboard, I want to play a sound that is in a module attached to the MIDI Out of the Kronos.

A combi can include (as I understand it) a function to assign, for example, the top two octaves of its internal keyboard to trigger Sound #23 in my attached Acme sound module (which is set to MIDI channel 9), shifted down 2 octaves. Now, since "point of origin doesn't really figure into it" I can likewise trigger that same external module from the secondary keyboard attached to the MIDI In of the Kronos, yes?

In order to make sure that Acme module is triggered from the secondary attached external keyboard (and NOT from the Kronos' internal keyboard), is the idea to set the internal keyboard to transmit on, say MIDI channel 1, while the external transmits on MIDI channel 16? So the Combi would include the function telling it to route the specified range of keys over MIDI from channel 16 to the attached Acme module?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: