Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Essential additional costs for the Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Essential additional costs for the Kronos? Reply with quote

I'd like to know whether I am expected (or forced) to spend extra $$ in order to fully use the Kronos. Would I be required to upgrade memory or buy optional equipment?

My point is as follows. One would really need a flash ram board and a firewire board (FW16E) to use the Motif XF to its fullest capability (sampling, audio track, integration with a DAW, etc.). Those two options cost $400. I hope the Kronos isn't like that.

Last edited by Chriskk on Fri May 13, 2011 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only options for the Kronos are pedals:
(see Specifications tab and scroll to bottom)
http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=598

[Option]

XVP-10: Expression/Volume Pedal
EXP-2: Foot Controller
DS-1H: Damper Pedal
PS-1: Pedal Switch
PS-3: Pedal Switch

The only one of these that people might want is the DS-1H Damper Pedal. This is the only pedal that supports Korg piano "half-pedaling". If you don't know what that is, it probably isn't important to you.

Except for half-pedaling functionality, switch and damper pedals from other manufacturers will work on the Kronos.

There IS a potential down the road for a memory addition. Supposedly the Kronos currently comes with 2GB of RAM on its motherboard, but the motherboard theoretically supports 4GB of RAM. If Korg modifies the Operating System to support 4GB, a 2GB stick of RAM would most likely cost $100 or less. There is history for this. Originally the OASYS came with 1GB of RAM, but Korg increased the max RAM to 2 GB in OASYS OS v1.1.

The only other "option" you might want to consider is KarmaLab Karma Editor for Kronos (which is Stephen Kay's product). It is completely optional:
http://www.karma-lab.com/main.html

http://www.karma-lab.com/karmasoft/kk/kk_main.html

P.S. -- I assume you already know there are always some other required items -- sound system, stand, cables, etc.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"P.S. -- I assume you already know there are always some other required items -- sound system, stand, cables, etc."

Yep. I already have them.[/quote]
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, Korg has built all of its typical expansions into the Kronos...

There's no memory upgrade at present, and i don't think there are even slots for any user-installable expansions. They even included all of their Sample Library Expansions, EXs1-9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: