Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PIMP MY KRONOS (with Nano Pads/Keys/Control)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: PIMP MY KRONOS (with Nano Pads/Keys/Control) Reply with quote

Seems to me that some of the things people see as "missing" on Kronos are Oasys/Karma/M3 pads, extra physical control knobs (for on the fly tweaking of AL-1 - MS/20) and unweighted keys for the synths.

Could nano-line products fill the void(s)?

That clean retro deck would take one easily enough - which would it be for you?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads might be useful.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have few different drum machines with pads. With that said I dont mind using keys to program drums. Sometimes I prefer it.

I dont think the nano pads have midi out. You would have to go through a computer first. You also have to find if the parameters on the Kronos synth engines can be midi assigned.
ScottB601

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pads are available with the touchscreen, aren't they? I saw that somewhere.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, they're apparently on touch screen, but I'm still not convinced about banging in my beats on the screen!! Shocked

Would LOVE to see a Korg demo of somebody doing this!
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro,

Yeah, I think the nano's are all USB - which begs the question whether they could be powered BY Kronos (as peripheral USB device) as well as (maybe) providing control input.

The question's in my head after seeing Rudess demos of nano devices (keys & pads - wow) and comments by some indicating a preference for for "real" as opposed to "virtual" knobs in some of the posts on the i-pad section.

I imagine things will work on K's touchscreen much as they do for the i-pad's version of the legacy collection as far as control motions -- at which point some folks will no doubt feel the need to comment about sensitivity, ergonomics and screen resolution.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Yeah, I think the nano's are all USB - which begs the question whether they could be powered BY Kronos (as peripheral USB device) as well as (maybe) providing control input.

Dan addressed the nano pad question here.

I'm not an Oasys owner, but it seems Oasys-like velocity sensitive pads would be preferable to the way pads are implemented on the Kronos touch screen.
So I will be debating the merits of midi external pad solutions in the near-term vs. possible (but certainly not promised) usb solutions in the future.
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nano products will not work with Kronos.
I believe I read this from a korg Employee. Rich F I think said so.
ScottB601

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much if I'll ever use the "pads" on the touchscreen also - depends on their sensitivity and if they are or ain't velocity sensitive, which I don't see how they could be. Maybe for effects or something.......
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PIMP MY KRONOS (with Nano Pads/Keys/Control) Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Could nano-line products fill the void(s)?

Have you tried the 'search' function of this forum before asking?
There have been many posts about Kronos and Nanopad...
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving some thought to one of the AKAI key controllers with those sliders, knobs and pads, though it's just a passing thought. Right now, my M3 is sounding so good, and the pads so useful, I intend to keep it. Plus the keyboard feels wonderful. I intend to use it to drive my Kronos 88 so I don't wear my fingers out on the piano action, at least till I adjust to it.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very wise of Korg to make the Kronos capable of commuicating with the Nano controllers... It shouldn't be hard to implement, should it?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottB601 wrote:
I doubt very much if I'll ever use the "pads" on the touchscreen also - depends on their sensitivity and if they are or ain't velocity sensitive, which I don't see how they could be. Maybe for effects or something.......

As I understand it,, the way they handle velocity for the onscreen touchpads is that t pads are long vertical bands... you alter the velocity based on how far up the band you hit them. You don't actually hit the screen harder, you just hit in in a "higher velocity" region of the virtual pad.
ScottB601

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, you're right, I knew that. I forgot about the vertical positioning as a velocity sensitive emulation. As for the search function, it's useless to me as it is on this page. It's much easier and better to use a search engine, I use Big Brother.......er......I mean Google or Bing. You get much better results searching outside the forum search function. And outside, of course, allows the highly advanced technical leap of brilliance of allowing quotes instead of using "and" to link search terms together. Good Lord. We had to use "and" for search strings back in the fifties!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well and good, but what happens when you get "caught in the moment"..... that screen will only take so much of a beating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: