Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos DAW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames4208

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Kronos DAW Reply with quote

is their a chance that Korg will develop thier very own DAW that's built exclusively for the Kronos, to make them function as a single unit?
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good plug in should be enough
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider that the built in sequencer effectively IS a DAW.
Not incredibly well featured compared to most modern PC based DAW softwares, but still a DAW. Why offer one on the PC when they can develop and improve the one built into their hardware?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Slovenec

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should continue to develop the sequencer/HDR that's already built into the Kronos. Much mention has been made of this in other posts so I won't repeat myself here.

Saying that, it's also hoped that the Kronos will integrate smoothly with current DAW software such as Logic, Protools etc. Whichever way, we can only see what will transpire once the instrument is actually(!) on the market!!!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that both Yamaha and Roland felt the need to strategically align with particular DAWs, it's reasonable to think Korg might have to consider that in the long term.

Imagine a strategic alliance between Korg and Apple/Logiv, or Ableton (where Karma worked tight with Ableton). IMO Korg have fabulous technologies in Kronos to make such an alliance very interesting; btu then again you are kind of actingly exclusively for one one cphort of DAW users from then on in so it might not make economic sense.

Kevin.
sani

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing an own so called DAW would be absolutely disastrous for Korg. It would mean investing a lot of money and the result could be easily anything but stellar.
There already are some very mature products on the market and I don't see how Korg could compete with companies who have almost 20 years of experience in making sequencing software. Besides that, you get these days good and capable LE versions for free by buying any soundcard for slightly more than 100 dollars.
The best for Korg is to give us a vst version (not the complete instrument in software but as an interface for use in the DAW) as they already do.
Let's not forget that there are quite a lot people out there who never sequence but just use the keyboard for their gigs. So, selling let's say 10.000 Kronos doesn't mean you have potential 10.000 users for a new potential Korg DAW. Not to mention that a lot of those who sequence actually already use some of the big names and certainly are not eager to try a new immature newcomer who lacks a lot of functions from the mature products already on the market.
Strategic alliance is potentially a good thing, but I wouldn't be happy with an alliance betweend Korg and Apple (being myself a very content mac user) in the same way as I'm not happy with the alliance between Roland and Cakewalk. Both would be exclusively dedicated to just one platform (either PC or Mac). Yamaha did the best because Cubase is cross platform.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major limitation in all of Korg's sequencers is the inability to move MIDI events within a measure.

You can copy and move all MIDI data in Measure 1 to measure 9, but you cannot copy/move MIDI events within only beats 3 and 4 to beats 3 and 4 of measure 9. I guess there are round about ways of ultimately accomplishing this, like copying the whole measure, and then deleting events, but that gets tiresome, and in some cases, kinda messy.

I'm also wondering if the Kronos has the ability to use System Exclusive Data the way the M3 does. It's a huge advantage! Especially when dealing with effects processors, tone adjust, and controllers. I'm betting no, since that came with the PRV mode.

I'm hoping Korg will continue to develop its internal Sequencer. The one already there is great to begin with, but they've shown they can do better!

sani wrote:

Strategic alliance is potentially a good thing, but I wouldn't be happy with an alliance betweend Korg and Apple (being myself a very content mac user) in the same way as I'm not happy with the alliance between Roland and Cakewalk. Both would be exclusively dedicated to just one platform (either PC or Mac). Yamaha did the best because Cubase is cross platform.

I use cakewalk with my korgs, and i don't feel limited at all not having any Roland gear. I don't really feel like i'm missing out on any features... but i always see the Roland name come up on the splash screen and it always makes me wonder.
sani

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:

I use cakewalk with my korgs, and i don't feel limited at all not having any Roland gear. I don't really feel like i'm missing out on any features... but i always see the Roland name come up on the splash screen and it always makes me wonder.

The problem is the other way around. With Roland gear you often get a Cakewalk Le version (mostly some sort of Sonar). For me as a Mac user it's completely useless because I can't install it on the Mac. In the same way, a Windows/PC user would be limited if Korg would make an alliance with Apple/Logic.
That was my point. Yamaha has the best cards here because they offer a cross platform sequencer (Cubase).
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DEADLIEST mistake that Korg can ever make is aligning with Apple...
Mark that above sentence for years to come.
jahrome

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Given that both Yamaha and Roland felt the need to strategically align with particular DAWs, it's reasonable to think Korg might have to consider that in the long term.

I think Yamaha is brilliant for integration of Motif and Cubase. It would be awesome if Pro Tools (or your favorite DAW) could import/export Kronos projects/files.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us already have some DAW..... what we need is some kind of import/export function for SONGs...
sani

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never needed an import function. There already is the smf format for exchanging songs in midi format. I don't see a special reason to export or to even record on a limited workstation sequencer while I have a more advanced software solution. Besides that, on a DAW I usually record at the standard 44.1/24 bit and Korg uses a completely different format (48/16).
UKSimon

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sani, are you saying that the Kronos will be able to import smf into it's sequencer? I tried to find the information in the Oasys manual but couldn't see it.
Thanks
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKSimon wrote:
Sani, are you saying that the Kronos will be able to import smf into it's sequencer? I tried to find the information in the Oasys manual but couldn't see it.
Thanks
I don't see why it would not work since even the M3 can do this (with the first firmware without enhancements done to the SEQ in v 2.0)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: