Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New EXi for Kronos!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: New EXi for Kronos! Reply with quote

@Korg:

An interesting idea would be to implement a new EXi in Kronos: ADD-1 (or DSS-2 Wink)

Take all the features that were implemented in the best hardware additive synth ever (see the SOS review of the K5000S/R and the SOS review of the K5000W), add (pun intended!) an on-screen graphical editor for the harmonics and a resynthesis function like in the OEM SoundDiver that was developed for the K5K, and you'll have a groundbreaking '10th synth engine' that will allow you to advertise: 'KRONOS, the ultimate synth workstation'.

Ok, ok, I won't speak about granular synthesis Wink
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Additive fourier synthesis (besides what is available in a limited fashion in CX-3) is sadly lacking and would be an immensely powerful engine if implemented properly.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You goof. Misleading thread title? Razz And not bringing up granular synthesis is probably a good idea because it's not really synthesis, but a sound mangling effect. I'm really not impressed with it myself.

But as a SUGGESTION for a new EXi, sure. The problem with additive synthesis though is that almost no one can understand or utilize it properly, which is why almost no one uses it. FM is much more useful because you can get more musically useful results experimenting with it with the average user. It's much more interesting to me, and seems to be for most people, though I bet way more people will use the subtractive engines.

MOD-7 will give you a nice basic additive engine to play with. I know the die-hards, all three of them here, will complain that they want 16 partials to play with. But if you can't get interesting sounds using six harmonics, I doubt 16 will benefit you any more.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
I know the die-hards, all three of them here, will complain that they want 16 partials to play with.

16? Ever heard of Camel Audio Alchemy and its 600 partials? 16 is not nearly enough for proper additive synthesis. Kawai K5000 had 64 partials per source (and it could have up to 6 sources per patch), and that was 1996.
Mutter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see modeled synth engines of vintage machines other than korgs. like the mini moog or memorymoog. sounds like it's not possable but thats kinda been done with cx3
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutter wrote:
I would like to see modeled synth engines of vintage machines other than korgs. like the mini moog or memorymoog. sounds like it's not possable but thats kinda been done with cx3

The issues would be as much to do with copyrights and trademarks as it would to do the actual programming. Personally, I'd love to see a modelled Yamaha CP70/CP80. I actually had a play on a CP70 this weekend and it depressed me just how far the sampled versions I've used are from the real thing.
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo - I dont want any more EXis - it'll just give them more time to delay things with the 9 engines they currently have promised.

But a Prophet emulation would be coool.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
But a Prophet emulation would be coool.

I wouldn't turn down a good P5 emulation either! Wink
T7

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New EXi for Kronos! Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
@Korg:

An interesting idea would be to implement a new EXi in Kronos: ADD-1 (or DSS-2 Wink)

Take all the features that were implemented in the best hardware additive synth ever (see the SOS review of the K5000S/R and the SOS review of the K5000W), add (pun intended!) an on-screen graphical editor for the harmonics and a resynthesis function like in the OEM SoundDiver that was developed for the K5K, and you'll have a groundbreaking '10th synth engine' that will allow you to advertise: 'KRONOS, the ultimate synth workstation'.

Ok, ok, I won't speak about granular synthesis Wink

Hell yes, additive EXi, please!
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet ( a coffee) to see monopoly before anything else!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer, could you please change the title?
It reads as if Korg had actually added an additional EXi to the Kronos.

The only really useful additional EXi I could imagine at the moment would be a dedicated brass EXi. Everything else may be entertaining or funny, but hardly urgent from my view.

For everyday use, further development of the sequencer (at least towards M3 level) would probably be much more rewarding for many users than some exotic kinds of new EXis.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The only really useful additional EXi I could imagine at the moment would be a dedicated brass EXi.
Brass and woodwinds would be cool. I'm not sure if I'd want that over a modern implementation of additive (I did like my K5000S). Tough choice...both!

jimknopf wrote:
For everyday use, further development of the sequencer (at least towards M3 level) would probably be much more rewarding for many users than some exotic kinds of new EXis.
I could care less about deep editing on the sequencer (beyond simple scratch-pad or SMF duty). When I was personally demoing keyboards 10+ years ago, not many people really cared about the details of the sequencer at all. It was way more about the sounds and how they would fit into their existing recording and performing setups. I'm sure it would be well-received by the few that do want such song editing on-board, however.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always hard to tell who wants what, and I have no statistics, just impression from musician talks.

To me a certain amount of editing belongs to the first stages of song writing, and arranging songs from others. If I can't edit on the fly, I tend to lose focus of the whole idea and feel the urge to work with software right away. So like you, I don't use an onboard sequencer for completing songs. But I need standard editing functions (definitely a piano roll view) while developing ideas.

From Fantom G times I know that many users DID made use of the built in sequencer despite its issues, some of them just for idea sketching (I found anything else on the Fantom G sequencer a pain), some of them even trying to write whole songs, and a few seriously trying to master with the second or third rate onboard mastering of the Fantom.

Perhaps we should make a separate thread asking users in here about sequencer expectations?

Last edited by jimknopf on Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My want would be to have NO seq, I can think of nothing more cumbersome to use than an onboard limited seq. Give me Logic any day, But for those on limited budgets, an all in one solution is great ( i started writing on a SY85 Seq when i started out)

jimknopf wrote:
It is always hard to tell who wants what, and I have no statistics, just impression from musician talks.

To me a certain amount of editing belongs to the first stages of song writing, and arranging songs from others. If I can't edit on the fly, I tend to lose focus of the whole idea and feel the urge to work with software right away. So like you, I don't use an onboard sequencer for completing songs. But I need standard editing functions (definitely a piano roll view) while deloping ideas.

From Fantom G times I know that many users DID made use of the built in sequencer despite its issues, some of them just for idea sketching (I found anything else on the Fantom G sequencer a pain), some of them even trying to write whole songs, and a few seriously trying to master with the second or third rate onboard mastering of the Fantom.

Perhaps we should make a separate thread asking users in here about sequencer expectations?

13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsunami, to me it is no budget question, and I have no problems using software.

But even with the limited functions of the Fantom G, I have found recording directly at the keyboard the by far most straightforward and intuitive way of basic song writing and recording. No software sequencing solution does the same for me to stay equally focused in the first stages of song writing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: