Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the user interface..is it just me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
1. Depending on the gig, it will be on an angled top-tier, so I'll see it anyway.

This is my intended use as well. I pre-ordered the 61, and will put it on a tier above my Yamaha p120 88, angled so that I can see the screen well. Still, having poor eyesight myself, I do sympathize with those that will struggle reading the screen.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I also have to wear glasses, but in all fairness, IF you can't read a screen when stood up with the display on the top tier of a keyboard stand, perhaps a change in lense is required!! Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this chart for viewing angles as it looks to me like somewhere between 30 and 45 degree is ideal.. the screen on the Kronos is almost 90 degree. Why cant Korg do research before permanently mounting the screen inside a case is beyond me? Both M3 and Oasys was adjustable and perfect!

http://www.ergomart.com/monitor_arm/arm_lift_matrix.htm

Last edited by sparkie on Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top tier is totally adjustable, so that, on top of the natural angle from the keyboard, will be fine.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
UKSimon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Italian designed KORG PA2X and new PA3X has the right idea. A motorized screen.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's Aaron's video... that you've said he has trouble finding things on the screen? And that's a deal killer?

Not for me. In editing sounds I've never had a "squint-free" keyboard. Hell, I even get squinty occasionally with a 17" display. And I rarely use the touchscreen for selecting sounds (admittedly because I've got zen number entry skills from payroll and accounting) 'cuz button pushes are quicker for me.

Grain o' salt here -- give him a break, he looks like the days work from yesterday's demo (Atlanta was it?) travel time, and an a bad night's sleep in the Nashville Holiday Inn have caught up with him. I dunno if I'd be able to see small print on a screen either.

By the light coming through the window it's not very late in the day - certainly early for a studio vampire ("it burns!!"). His playing is right on the money tho'. And his navigation skills seem to get better as he kills that vente esspresso.

The thing I noticed was that at one point (vid 3) he said (not a direct quote) "screw trying to find it on the screen menu, I'll just push buttons, cus that's just as fast or faster."

The screen may be a pain. But the K, it seems, is very much navigable by button pushes, and Aaron hasn't had a year on it to get facile with his number selection (which worked) tweaks (which he does very well) and in demoing scene changes in the Karma section as a realtime tool (most coherent and glitch free I've heard).

My take? You don't have to love the screen to use the Kronos.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe in future Korg can include external display support, I would to see the KRONOS GUI on my 22 inch dell touch screen Shocked maybe someone can modify the hardware to support external display Twisted Evil McHale?
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why they made that decision to recess the display into Kronos. First, it seemed to be working for all those happy Trinity & Triton owners but more importantly its a design/cost decision. Elevated or tilting displays cost more money not only in the parts themselves but the increased envelope dimensions of the board, complex packaging to protect the display in shipment and possibly a larger box which means fewer Kronos fit into a shipping container and the subsequent increased shipping costs which always get passed on to the customer.

Wouldnt hold your breath for new accessability options such as larger fonts. Buy some reading glasses or bi focals if you must. If you can use an ipad when its sitting on your desk you'll have no issues navigating Kronos display.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. angled displays were in Fantom X, copied in Motif XS and both these managed to fit into boxes...even more delicate, hinged displays are in other boards and they too, ship in boxes... and all sell for less than Kronos $$$

2. the world and its expectations have moved a teeny bit since the Triton, and Korg should have looked long and hard at the user interface on the Roland Fantom G.. yes it has its issues like all synths, but THAT is the minimum definition of a great UI.. angled display, large fonts, easy menu driven operation, without leaning over or peering... a sheer joy to use.

3. repeat after me.. the Kronos is not an ipad.. and even if i use an ipad on a desk...guess what, the backrest is angled, and i have severe problems making accurate adjustments, hitting the correct link etc.. the IMS-20 only became fun once i programmed a template for the Novation remote.

Devnor wrote:
I can see why they made that decision to recess the display into Kronos. First, it seemed to be working for all those happy Trinity & Triton owners but more importantly its a design/cost decision. Elevated or tilting displays cost more money not only in the parts themselves but the increased envelope dimensions of the board, complex packaging to protect the display in shipment and possibly a larger box which means fewer Kronos fit into a shipping container and the subsequent increased shipping costs which always get passed on to the customer.

Wouldnt hold your breath for new accessability options such as larger fonts. Buy some reading glasses or bi focals if you must. If you can use an ipad when its sitting on your desk you'll have no issues navigating Kronos display.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic38 wrote:
1. angled displays were in Fantom X, copied in Motif XS and both these managed to fit into boxes...even more delicate, hinged displays are in other boards and they too, ship in boxes... and all sell for less than Kronos $$$

2. the world and its expectations have moved a teeny bit since the Triton, and Korg should have looked long and hard at the user interface on the Roland Fantom G.. yes it has its issues like all synths, but THAT is the minimum definition of a great UI.. angled display, large fonts, easy menu driven operation, without leaning over or peering... a sheer joy to use.

3. repeat after me.. the Kronos is not an ipad.. and even if i use an ipad on a desk...guess what, the backrest is angled, and i have severe problems making accurate adjustments, hitting the correct link etc.. the IMS-20 only became fun once i programmed a template for the Novation remote.

1. Fantom X was like 8 years ago. Anyone else elevating displays besides uber expensive arrangers?

2. Oh now you've found some good in the Fantom G. How would Korg even know anyone here appreciated that option when all Roland talk is pissing & moaning? Better late than never.

3. I never said Kronos was an ipad. Reading is fundemental. If you are having "severe" problems operating an iPad 18 inches from your face that is your issue. Most folks don't have any problemsn operating an iPad...including my 75 year old mother.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavidSyed wrote:
maybe in future Korg can include external display support, I would to see the KRONOS GUI on my 22 inch dell touch screen Shocked maybe someone can modify the hardware to support external display Twisted Evil McHale?

man, you guys SUCK at subtlety.

Smile j/k

To be honest, this was something I was already looking at. I serviced an OASYS over the weekend and took a quick look. It's do-able.

That screen angle is a killer for me. We play nothing but outdoor shows in the summer time and half of the time the sun is in my face. Here's a pic of me playing a festival in Chicago. Doesn't that piece of cardboard (an emergency solution) look classy? The Kronos will be worse.

I think the display design was Apple inspired. They didn't care how useful it was, they wanted the Kronos to look sleek and modern. I'm all for a stationary display, but that viewing angle is horribly thought out. I'm replacing both keyboards with the Kronos 88 and it will be FLAT on the stand... in the sun. grrrrrrr.......
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip!..but if reading is fundamental, then more so is thinking...lol

look, all jossing aside.. you totally miss my point.

IMO there is no correlation of any description between the kronos and an ipad, other than there both have touch screen displays.
The key differences are that angle of view and distance are completely different between a PMD and a workstation, yet it would appear that the screens and UI were developed as if the Kronos WAS an iPad.... and that does not bode well.

Devnor wrote:
. I never said Kronos was an ipad. Reading is fundemental. If you are having "severe" problems operating an iPad 18 inches from your face that is your issue. Most folks don't have any problemsn operating an iPad...including my 75 year old mother.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a fatter bass player and get him to move to his right?...

McHale wrote:
NavidSyed wrote:

man, you guys SUCK at subtlety.

Smile j/k

To be honest, this was something I was already looking at. I serviced an OASYS over the weekend and took a quick look. It's do-able.

That screen angle is a killer for me. We play nothing but outdoor shows in the summer time and half of the time the sun is in my face. Here's a pic of me playing a festival in Chicago. Doesn't that piece of cardboard (an emergency solution) look classy? The Kronos will be worse.

I think the display design was Apple inspired. They didn't care how useful it was, they wanted the Kronos to look sleek and modern. I'm all for a stationary display, but that viewing angle is horribly thought out. I'm replacing both keyboards with the Kronos 88 and it will be FLAT on the stand... in the sun. grrrrrrr.......

NavidSyed

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

this would be something awesome even for my home studio use if it is "do-able"... Very Happy since big touch screen prices are very reasonable nowadays... Razz
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McH - Need to move to the next level... cardboard should say "will play for beer".

Mystic38 - New bass player would have to be 7 feet tall with a 'fro to make enough shade to matter. I vote for a bikini-clad babe with a tambourine in one hand and a big ol' golf umbrella in the other.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: