Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the user interface..is it just me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the angle of the panel, compared to the angle of the keybed and bottom panel, it's clearly NOT flat.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of the discussion is... you could raise the back of the keyboard up a tad if it really bothers you...but it probably won't.

jahrome

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it appears most manufacturers are making keyboards with flat screens. I am just curious to know if it is actually related to increased costs and not speculation. I spend thousands of dollars on keyboards. $200 more wouldn't bother me that much. Heck. I have to pay almost $200 to have the manuals printed. Lol

Non-keyboard workstation, MPC 4000/5000 both have hinged, adjustable LCDs. Both very comfortable to work with. This is just something to think about when the Kronos Pro, Kronos Extreme, Kronos Mk II, or Kronos Studio is released.
nowtime

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is 3/4" thicker than my Triton Extreme on the back side (according to specs) perhaps that is to angle the screen?
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it's sloped so much to angle the screen, panel, and provide a little more room for cooling too.

Now, maybe everyone can take a chill breath, and relax until they get theirs. Just a thought. Wink
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested the Kronos at Musikmesse. For me the UI is just fine. Clear and fine resolution & colors, and readable.
I admit I have no visual impairment.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
If anyone really thinks that Korg engineers [...] are stupid [...]

Nobody here thinks Korg engineers are stupid. But I believe they receive design constraints from the marketing, and that these are far from being rational:

I'm convinced the specs of the GUI been have been dictated by marketing considerations which give priority to an attractive appearance in brochures, stores and demos rather than to the ease of use.

The GUI seems to be well thought out, but the virtual buttons on the touch screen and the fonts are very small indeed. Korg have put their efforts in designing beautiful screens, but these nice pictures of pianos, EPs, etc. take a lot of space on the screen to the detriment of the practical aspects of bigger buttons and bigger fonts.

Personnally, I don't care a f¤¤¤ing damn about the picture of a grand piano with an opening and closing lid, I want to be able to read the patch parameters on the screen easily while editing the program.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both motif and fantom g have angled screens, just not hinged.. Clearly atm the fantom has the nicest ui with large friendly letters (if only they said "don't panic"...lol), wheels that stay in place, big buttons and pads.. Kronos SHOULD have been better than this..

This thread seemingly has got single minded into the screen angle, yet font size and finger landing pads are equally or more so the issue imo..

And words fail me on the non-paper, but that is outside the thred

jahrome wrote:
To be fair, it appears most manufacturers are making keyboards with flat screens. I am just curious to know if it is actually related to increased costs and not speculation. I spend thousands of dollars on keyboards. $200 more wouldn't bother me that much. Heck. I have to pay almost $200 to have the manuals printed. Lol

Non-keyboard workstation, MPC 4000/5000 both have hinged, adjustable LCDs. Both very comfortable to work with. This is just something to think about when the Kronos Pro, Kronos Extreme, Kronos Mk II, or Kronos Studio is released.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
jahrome

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic38 wrote:
Both motif and fantom g have angled screens, just not hinged.. Clearly atm the fantom has the nicest ui with large friendly letters (if only they said "don't panic"...lol), wheels that stay in place, big buttons and pads.. Kronos SHOULD have been better than this..

Cosmetically, I feel the Fantom G is the best looking keyboard. That is why I have it sitting in a corner looking pretty while I use Kronos. I will sell the Fantom G to you if you like. Razz

Any additional comfort I may gain using the Fantom G is negligible. Same goes for the Motif. When it comes down to what I can accomplish using these keyboards, specifically sampling, sample editing, multisample creation, and sequencing...Kronos has them both beat by a long shot. You can't even keep your files straight with the Fantom G as it can only read samples that are placed in a single folder on its drive..terrible. The Fantom G is also expendable...but Roland only created 3 boards when the previous Fantoms had over 20 boards to choose from (JV and SRX). Motif XF is simply terrible at editing samples. The XF was going to replace my G but changed my mind after using it.

I believe Korg got it right for the things that some in this forum overlook. But there is no denying that it sounds great.

The Kronos does most of what I need a keyboard workstation to do. And there are several functions I would like to see added. But it was worth the money I spent on it.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know why i would want two fantom G's.. Smile, and yes while it does have some frustrating and well known limitations any new board needs to beat the UI for me to consider it.. my experience in NOT buying the XF proves that (to me)

i am not sold on the UI of the kronos until i can sit and spend a couple of hourse in front of it.. sounds are a given IMO.. the rest is TBD so your comments are always treated as valid (given you are 100% of the paying public so far..lol)..

cheers
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
jahrome

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy Kronos. My disgust with the lack of support for the Fantom G is well documented in the Fantom Forum. Kronos provides the solutions to the biggest complaints I have regarding the Fantom.

Why would you consider buying Kronos if the Fantom G has what you need?
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
This design "flaw" was done to make it look sleek and possibly reduce weight. There can be no other explanation.

Now you were a part of the design team? Okay. People who can attest to things that they did not witness scare the hell out of me. Case in point: people going crazy about screen angle when they've never actually seen or used the damn thing. Could you also please tell us all what it's like to drive a Bugatti Veyron, climb K2 and have a three-way w/ two supermodels?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Personnally, I don't care a f¤¤¤ing damn about the picture of a grand piano with an opening and closing lid, I want to be able to read the patch parameters on the screen easily while editing the program.

There's an option in the global mode to turn off the instrument pictures, whereby they will be replaced by a listing of the waveforms used by the oscillator or other parameters depending on the model.

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Now you were a part of the design team? Okay. People who can attest to things that they did not witness scare the hell out of me. Case in point: people going crazy about screen angle when they've never actually seen or used the damn thing. Could you also please tell us all what it's like to drive a Bugatti Veyron, climb K2 and have a three-way w/ two supermodels?

Settle down, Junior. I don't need to have it in front of me to know it will be a problem when playing outdoors just as I don't need to stare into a solar eclipse to know it's not good for the peepers. And I have done one of the three things you asked about and it was AWESOME.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
There's an option in the global mode to turn off the instrument pictures, whereby they will be replaced by a listing of the waveforms used by the oscillator or other parameters depending on the model.

Now THAT'S an unexpected surprise. VERY cool option.

Thanks for the info...

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
And I have done one of the three things you asked about and it was AWESOME.

Only one??? I've done two of those - one whilst inside the other Wink

Got the last one planned next year Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: