Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String Resonance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KorgKeymaster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: String Resonance Reply with quote

Does the Kronos have string resonance like the nord stage 2? I know the kronos has damper resonance.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: String Resonance Reply with quote

KorgKeymaster wrote:
Does the Kronos have string resonance like the nord stage 2? I know the kronos has damper resonance.

Yes, from what I have read and seen about the Kronos it does have sympathetic string resonance.

From Korg.Com Kronos specs ...

Premium Piano:

PCM:

EXs6 - SGX-1 German D Piano; EXs7 - SGX-1 Japanese C Piano

Piano Type:

Oscillator Control:

Damper Resonance, Damper Noise, Mechanical Noise, Note Release

Damper Resonance = Sympathetic String Resonance

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
KorgKeymaster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus, Thanks 4 the reply!

So this works even without the use of the damper pedal?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the Kronos supports string resonance (e.g. gently hold down a D triad, then loudly play a low D and the triad will quietly sound). I have not heard anything about it, nor was it mentioned in the SGX-1 video. I find it to be a subtle effect. Roland has had it on their RD series for sometime and I'll bet 95% of the owners are unaware of it. Roland never made a big deal about it where as Nord did.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be the VERY sympathetic string resonance Smile

KorgKeymaster wrote:

So this works even without the use of the damper pedal?

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
KorgKeymaster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah burningbusch.... I was searching for that in the sgx-1 vid. I'm sure it ads something to the playing but I think all the effects that the kronos offers will outweigh the Stage 2's piano samples.

On another note.... Any Upright's in the Kronos?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorgKeymaster wrote:

On another note.... Any Upright's in the Kronos?

I don't know. In the EXs4 Vintage Keyboard library there are two pianos listed: Stw-1 A.Piano and Stw-2 A.Piano. Maybe they are variations of the same piano. I don't know why they would be listed in the Vintage Keyboard library along with EPs and clavs. Maybe they're uprights.

Busch.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damper resonance and sympathetic string resonance are two different things... As burningbusch says, I didn't hear true sympathetic resonance in any of the demos. And the ultimate test for this is as busch explained - silently hold a chord, then play the root of that chord several octaves above staccato - the chord should ring along with the staccato note.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the triton series has damper resonance I'd have to check how it performs but I'd thought it 'undamped' the currently active strings..

It is still a very subtle effect and I've hardly seen the point.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the KRONOS Parameter Guide ...

The SGX‐1 Premium Piano EXi is designed to provide an optimal acoustic piano experience, combining world‐class sounds, subtle performance nuances, and a dedicated, easy‐to‐use interface. Features include:
• Full chromatic sampling, with every note sampled in stereo at up to 8 velocity levels, for natural and smooth response
True damper resonance, also chromatically sampled, with multiple velocity layers
• No loops: sounds decay naturally
• High polyphony—up to 100 dual‐stereo voices, the equivalent of 400 mono voices
• Realistic performance nuances, including mechanical noise controlled by release velocity, damper pedal noise controlled by pedal velocity, and note release

I guess we need someone from KORG to define what "true damper resonance" means. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again: damper resonance is NOT the same as string resonance.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These kinds of effects are best heard with solo piano that is not too busy and has sweetly clangorous bass rumblings and held chords that take advantage of these resonating inharmonisations.

Moody classical and thoughtful new age pieces can naturally reach for this, and for sweeping improvisers it's one more color on the plucked piano soundboard pallet.

And with the Overb, and a superb sound system, and an open, expansive, listening space, it's pure loveliness...
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Once again: damper resonance is NOT the same as string resonance.

Would you like to share your knowledge with us and tell us why the 'True' Damper Resonance on the KORG Kronos is not "string resonance"?

Johann Sebastian Bach

Arp_

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Would you like to share your knowledge with us and tell us why the 'True' Damper Resonance on the KORG Kronos is not "string resonance"?

Kronos has resonance only if you press damper pedal, and it is resonance of all strings at once.
Real piano also has resonance when damper pedal is not pressed, but only those strings resonate which are not damped at a particular moment. I.e. if you hold C3 key, then you release damper from strings on C3 note, and then those strings will resonate. For example, if you then play and quickly release (i.e. play it stacatto) C4 note, then C4 tone will still continue to sound even after you release C4 key, because it will be picked up by resonant strings on C3 note that you are holding.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you press any key, it is un-damped. So why should Korg's 'damper resonance' not include notes which are held down other than with the damper pedal?

It all depends on the mechanics of the actual programming, which I think either you'll have to get an answer from Korg, or you'll have to figure it out for yourself by turning the noise element up in the SGX-1 engine.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: