Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible review!!! thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ozy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was Sina's parents,

I'd sell the house, pack and move for unknown destination, before it's too late [as in "after buying 5 Kronos and having 4 of them stolen, I was bankrupt and depressed and moved back to my parents etc etc"].
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him... I was gonna go up to him...
Then i thought..
"possible serial murderer... I'll just sit here and laugh..."

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Sina Smile

Looking forward to getting mine now.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
ozy wrote:
If I was Sina's parents,

I'd sell the house, pack and move for unknown destination, before it's too late [as in "after buying 5 Kronos and having 4 of them stolen, I was bankrupt and depressed and moved back to my parents etc etc"].

Ozy, you're NOT funny! Put a sock in it.

You need help.

Seriously.

I'm so sick of your sarcasm.

Leave Ozy alone. His sarcasm is always funny.

You need help.

We're so sick of your online masturbations.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I played the KRONOS Today... Reply with quote

Thanks for your impressions, Sina. However, there is no way you can comment on possible freezes (occasional or otherwise) based on observation at one demo session. It may or may not freeze. Time will tell. (Reminds me of my K2500X which would run fine for weeks, and then freeze).
ozy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
I'm so sick

for once, we agree.

Nice review,

if you just really had played the Kronos... or three of them... in a shop, or at your 25-rooms home...
Flood

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muziksculp

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sina172 , and Thanks for the review.

by the way, I attended the same WLA Kronos event Very Happy

Yes, the Kronos sounds great, and has huge potential as a workstation to produce great sounding tracks. It's a very deep, and powerful instrument.

One thing I noticed during the demo event, is that there was quite a bit more emphasis demoing the Kronos Acoustic Pianos, Electric Pianos, Organs, Drums, Pads, Synth Leads.

But quite a bit less emphasis on demonstrating other acoustic Instruments, especially Orchestral, Acoustic Guitars (Nylon, Steel), and various World Instruments.

From the limited amount of demo material I heard at the event, I was not very impressed by the acoustic guitars, Orch.brass, or Orch.strings. I might be totally wrong, but this was my first impression, which could change once I have a chance to demo the Kronos, as they begin to trickle down into the showrooms of various Pro-Music retailers.

To be fair, I do not want to speculate this early, but just in case these happen to be the weak points of the Kronos sample content, I would hope that Korg, and 3rd-party sample library developers will do their best to enhance the Kronos sample sound-set in these areas via additional great sounding alternatives to the stock sounds, which should be relatively easy to offer given the large SSD capacity built into the Kronos.

Well... I'm still looking forward to become a Kronos owner/user. but I will not be rushing to get one yet, until I can evaluate it in more detail, and spend a good amount of time listening to its various programs to make my final decision.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Mutter

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sina I bet this will be a home run for korg even with the current world enviroment this should be one of the best selling keyboard ever. I am most excited about the pc editor function ah to sit on the sofa and create new sound patches. Very Happy
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Nice review,

if you just really had played the Kronos... or three of them... in a shop, or at your 25-rooms home...

You mean 48 rooms, don't you? Or maybe 48 Kronosses, er, 48 Kronoi, er, whatever the plural, 48 of them

Given what Sina has written on this forum, I don't give much credence to his words...
ozy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
You mean 48 rooms, don't you?

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I played the KRONOS Today... Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
At the West LA Music KRONOS Party Event.

Aaron was presenting today and I arrived a good hour early to really get a feel for it. 61-Note Model was what he was using.

As a result this is MY perspective as an OASYS owner/user and lover. Mr. Green

And there I was thinking that it could NOT sound any better than the OASYS. Little did I know how dead wrong I was.

I am utterly beyond amazed. It sounds BETTER than the OASYS in every aspect.

I had a chance to really go through some of the Programs and Combis. There's a LOT more of them and my God are they incredible! They sound different, though. Zero G Pianoforte for example sounds completely different than the one in the OASYS. It sounds more open, more natural, and it's been almost completely revoiced and reprogrammed to the KRONOS sound set.

Every Program and Combi I played had a depth, natural musicality to it that I can't even begin to explain to any of you, even OASYS owners. Go play one and you'll see/hear what I mean.

Drum Track is amazing. Period. This ALONE is worth the price tag, IMO. It's SO flexible. Choose your Pattern (User or Preset), select your Drum Kit and (this is the kicker), you can actually modify the NOTE RANGE of the Drum Track. So say you want Just a Kick and a Snare. Press and hold Enter, hit the note you want and it's been modified. Do that for the Top and Bottom notes, and you've modified the range. And on top of that, you can also transpose the Drum Track.

You can create your own Drum Tracks and they are NOT located in Global Mode, but actually in SEQ Mode. And this is where you go to the RPPR Page and start creating. WOW! Shocked

There's a LOT more to this as well:

In an HD-1 or an EXi Program, there is a dedicated Drum Track tab. When you select this, you have all the options I mentioned above, BUT! There's even MORE! Mr. Green

You can modify the IFX for each individual Drum section: Kick, Snare, Hi-Hat, Percussion, Misc. By default, this is grayed out because the bus is set to the Main L/R Channels. If you select the DKit box, however, ALL 12 IFX's are now available at your fingertips to assign the drum sections to. It's just INSANE!

It gets better: In SEQ Mode, say you have drums on Track 1 that you have spent HOURS working on. Fill-ins have been recorded in at certain measures, and you have different variations throughout the track.

If you go to the RPPR Page and then to the Pattern Edit tab. You can actually convert that track into a Drum Track! Just specify the measure range, rename it and your done!

It is SO MUCH MORE than what you see on the surface. I mean, WOW!. Shocked

Moving along to Set List: This is AMAZING! I was able to go through 8 Programs and Combis and as I held down the sustain pedal, going into each Program or Combi, the previous Program or Combi was still going. Let go of the sustain pedal, and the new Program or Combi starts playing. It's everything they say it is. It is NOT exaggerated. I was really blown away by this. And it's not just the sustain pedal that it retains, either. Effects, like long delay effects or reverbs from the previous sound are still going after you select the next Program or Combi.

The Drums that were in the OASYS have been resampled and COMPLETELY redone on the KRONOS. They are NOT the same! KRONOS Drums are some of THE BEST I have EVER heard in a keyboard! The new Ambient Drums mode in HD-1 has to be experienced. The amount of control you have over every single drum part is astounding. The sky is literally the limit here. Electronic drums for hip-hop, trance, electro, exceeded my expectations beyond belief! I was FLOORED by the punch, depth and clarity these drums had.

SGX-1 is THE BEST Piano I have EVER heard. It beats the living CRAP out of my Roland V-Pianos! It's EXACTLY what I was expecting it to be and then some! It has to be heard to be believed. The depth, the realism, the fact that you have the most important parameters in front of you on the main page really amazed me.

V-Piano is WAY over-hyped for what it is and had I NOT gotten mine last year, I would NOT even consider one. $6800 for something that's built- in to KRONOS and is FAR better is just ridiculous. Roland is literally f**Ked, IMO. And I am NOT saying that lightly.

The V-Piano is a rip-off now. KRONOS not only sounds BETTER, but it's MUCH simpler and it's all integrated. Amazing.

There was a huge Q&A Section at the end of the demo and the DAW plugin came up.

EVERYTHING KRONOS does in the box, the DAW editor does. ALL Synth Engines are there. Every single one. Just like how you can call up a Program or Combi in KRONOS, you can do the SAME thing on the editor.

Heck, put the KRONOS off to the side once you have the USB connected, grab your mouse and call up an instrument track in Logic, Cubase or DP, and KRONOS is there on your desktop!

Call up 16 Instrument tracks for that matter, and create a Combi. IN LOGIC!

You can do the SAME THING in SEQ Mode and thanks to multitrack MIDI Recording capability, record your sequence into Logic, Cubase or DP in ONE take! WOW! I can't tell you HOW MANY YEARS I have been asking for something like this, when I started using Cubase SX back when I had just one Triton Classic Pro and a Yamaha PSR-8000.

This is really a dream come true for me and I can't WAIT to put the KRONOS in the studio!

DAW Integration is literally taken to the next level with the KRONOS.

Yes, KRONOS is missing a few things the OASYS had, but they are so MINISCULE in comparison to the overall feature set of KRONOS, that if you sold your OASYS to get a KRONOS, you probably wouldn't miss it ONE BIT.

It's lighter, slimmer, FAR more powerful under the hood than you can ever imagine, and anyone who say that a Motif or Kurzweil is better is just shooting themselves in the foot.

You would be completely and utterly STUPID and downright f***ing IGNORANT to buy a Motif XF or Kurzweil over a KRONOS.

It's EVERYTHING the OASYS was, and they have addressed SO many things from the OASYS (the occasional freezing, the software updating process, DAW-Integration via USB MIDI, Set List) in KRONOS, that I now fully understand why Korg released it in a different keyboard.

They HAD to. The labor involved with the OASYS was FAR too costly, the P4 Processor had its time and place, but with the Atom Dual Core CPU, it's SO much more powerful that freezes are literally NON-existent in KRONOS.

It IS an OASYS II but it's MUCH more simplified. It's FAR more reliable, it sounds BETTER than the OASYS ever did (that STILL baffles me by the way!), and it's HALF THE PRICE!

Those of you that say it costs too much, this is NOT the keyboard for you for the simple fact that you simply don't even know what you are getting.

This is basically an F10 550i BMW vs an F01 750Li. 750Li is $140,000 maxed out with all options and packages, including M-Sport and Individual Composition. 550i is $75,000 loaded. It's missing a few elements, but the feel of the 7-Series is obvious the second you sit in one and drive it. And the 550i WILL be faster because it's a much lighter car.

OASYS (750Li) vs. KRONOS (550i) is the EXACT SAME Scenario.

So do some serious research on the OASYS from the Blue Bomber Project to the Trinity, to the PCI Card, to the OASYS Keyboard released in 2005 and now KRONOS.

There's PLENTY of info online and if your STILL thinking it's too much money, don't even bother. Go buy a Fantom-G and get ripped off.

Sina

how cool it is to hear from someone who PLAYED the Kronos.

I would ignore the cranky posters who I suspect, are simply envious.

In a month or 2 , I would expect dozens of Kronos reports, which should make the Internet 'experts' on this forum irrelevant and unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: