Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which DAW to go for??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Which DAW to go for?? Reply with quote

Thinking of upgrading my DAW - probably going to go for Sonar X1 (not the producer version).

But will this integrate the Kronos - i.e. will there be a Kronos instrument file so that I can associate a track with the patches (or patch locations)?

And do these files (there should be another one for the drumkits) come from korg or from cakewalk?

Anyone know?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. I could make a .ReaBank file for Reaper according to the voice name list.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should be using the plugin editor. It should make voice name lists obselete as you should theoretically be able to use it to store your KRONOS setup in the project as the VST settings.

Would certainly be interesting to hear if this works in reality, I know a lot of users had trouble with the M3 editor plugin.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I just saw that there are no MSB/LSB/PC codes for programs and combis in the voice name guide. That's too bad.

A .ReaBank file allows you to actually display the name of the preset in a CC lane you're switching to, so you don't have to memorize MSB/LSB/PC value, you just select a patch from the list. It's mainly for piano roll people.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which DAW to go for?? Reply with quote

its not super hard to create an .ins file for sonar, more laborious than anything.. this is usually created by either the instrument manufacturer or one of the early customers..like umm.. you?..lol, but anyway check out on the cakewalk forums and post there.

also, think again about the producer edition.. i had studio for a while then went to the PE and started kicking myself over false economy..you get a HUGE amount in the bundle

RKfan wrote:
Thinking of upgrading my DAW - probably going to go for Sonar X1 (not the producer version).

But will this integrate the Kronos - i.e. will there be a Kronos instrument file so that I can associate a track with the patches (or patch locations)?

And do these files (there should be another one for the drumkits) come from korg or from cakewalk?

Anyone know?

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I've had some issues in using the M3's VST plugin editor. It would save me a lot of time in messing with effects and correct handling of program names. It's probably just my lack of know-how in workflow, but I find it simpler to just use the voice name list and use track templates to save info. There's very limited information on the web about using it with Sonar... Lots of questions in forums, but no answers. Seems most M3 users DON'T use Sonar. Hopefully the Kronos's plugin editor will play nicer with Sonar than the M3's.

I've considered making an INS instrument definition file for the Kronos. It's actually really easy. But it's sort of obsolete especially considering how you have to customize all the programs on the Kronos with the limited user banks. To answer the question about INS files, usually they are user-written. Cakewalk does supply a lot of instrument definitions for older gear, but they don't usually create ones for newer gear. User-written INS files usually show up on Cakewalk's and Korg's websites eventually. I know I got the Triton Extreme's from Korg's website, i found the M3's on the web, and I had to create the Korg Karma and N364's myself when they came out new.

Sonar is still a GREAT DAW to use. It has some amazing MIDI sequencer features, and the workflow in the new X1 version is excellent. One of my favorite features is the track folder function, where you can control multiple tracks as one, which makes it perfect for recording combis, multiple layers of tracks, etc. It allows you to take advantage of all Korg Workstation features except KARMA, RPPR, and Effects settings (these you just gotta do manually).
Flash & The Pan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which DAW to go for?? Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:

Anyone know?

Mac: Logic 9
PC: Studio One Pro by presonus
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cubase 6 Upgrade came today, i am on Cubase since version 3.7 VST,
way before VST Instruments actually...back in 1998...i wouldnt switch or
trade it for a full blown Accell HD3 with SSL J9000 Series console.
This thing is awesome.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dig Cubase too. But most likely, I'm going to spring for Studio One Pro as well. It looks like it was designed by musicians, so the workflow looks drag and drop easy, and everyone raves over the sound quality.

If you only want to spend a couple hundred, Reaper looks great, though it may not be quite as mature as the other pro DAWs.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sonar X1 and will keep it. Kronos is NOT a reason for changing the DAW.
I will provide an instrument file for Sonar (as I did for the M3) if I buy a Kronos.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X1 here too.
I prefer the Sonar X1 user interface over that of Cubase, and X1's midi functionality over that of Studio One.

Everybody should choose a DAW according to own preferences: for use with the Kronos plugin it should make no difference.

@orpheus: now that I know that, you should definitely buy a Kronos as soon as possible! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: