Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y cable question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corbytender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Y cable question Reply with quote

I want to run my iPad's headphone audio out into my KP-3. Only some sounds can be picked up with my current Y cable (for instance, I can only hear two drum parts in the iMS-20 program, but no other sounds.) I'm fairly sure I'm using a 3.5mm stereo Y cable which is advertised to work with iDevices. I'm using iPad 2 if that makes a difference. If you have personal experience with a compatible cable, a link to purchase would really help.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple changed the jack specs between generations of the iPod, so there's not one jack that works for all models. The new models use a 3.5mm TRRS jack - Tip and 2 rings, where the tip and the first ring are audio outputs and the second ring is the mic input. If the plug doesn't have two rings, it's for the older gen iPods, not the iPads.
Corbytender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon searching, most of what I can find looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004Z5CP/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1306284324&sr=8-1

Two rings as you mentioned, but it looks remarkably similar to the one I already have. Perhaps it's just a bunk cable? Maybe you could link to the one you use? Also, is this the best method of connecting the iPad to a mixer or effects unit in your opinion? Always helpful xml, thanks.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, that cable has one ring and is a TRS plug, not a TRRS plug. The ring is the metal band, not the two black/white bands (insulators). A TRRS plug has 2 separate metal bands in addition to the tip, with 3 insulating bands.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Belkin-iPod-Microphone-Adapter-for-3rd-Generation-500772-i1601127.gc

At this moment, about 99% of iPad/iPod/iPhone audio connectors are wrong for the iPodTouch 2Gen/3Gen/4Gen and iPad/iPad2. The proper adapter will have one headphone jack and one mic/input jack. Most have just one or two headphone jacks. The right cable/adapter has to have 3 channels - stereo output and mono input.
Corbytender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A life saver! Thanks again man.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbytender wrote:
A life saver! Thanks again man.

You're welcome! I'm really surprised that 1) Apple doesn't make one and 2) so few 3rd party manufacturers have seen the need for this obvious product gap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: