Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEDs for sliders and knobs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alogie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: LEDs for sliders and knobs? Reply with quote

Quote:
Front-panel LEDs for sliders and knobs
There’s a vertical column of LEDs next to each slider,
and a ring of LEDs around each knob.

This is from the Parameter Guide. Does the Kronos have the LEDs for the sliders and knobs, or is this a carryover from the Oasys documentation?[/quote]
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on the Kronos - it's an error due to the Oasys documents being used to create the Kronos documents.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a job for Dan and his corrigenda list Wink
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Not on the Kronos - it's an error due to the Oasys documents being used to create the Kronos documents.

Gotta say, considering how long they waited to release the manuals, this is incredibly sloppy and careless.

If I were Korg I would be EMBARRASSED. Seriously, did the person editing/writing the manual even KNOW the keyboard they were preparing the document for? I don't even OWN ONE and I KNOW there are no LED bars for the sliders and Knobs! I mean something like that should have stuck out like a sore thumb.

So it begs the question, "What ELSE did they miss?" Could you imagine working on something and scratching your head for HOURS reading the manual ONLY to find out the information is ONLY accurate for ANOTHER keyboard? That's unacceptable.

Perhaps this sounds anal or a bit harsh, but proper documentation is REALLY important, especially for a machine like this that cost thousands to purchase.

That is all.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
If I were Korg I would be EMBARRASSED. Seriously, did the person editing/writing the manual even KNOW the keyboard they were preparing the document for?

You mean Dan? Yah, he knows the Kronos better than anyone on this forum. They updated the OASYS documentation to create the KRONOS documentation (since they are very very much the same). Things get missed. While it's an error, I don't see it being THAT big of a deal. If everybody knows that there are no LED bars or LED's on the knobs, that just further backs the point.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
If I were Korg I would be EMBARRASSED. Seriously, did the person editing/writing the manual even KNOW the keyboard they were preparing the document for?

You mean Dan? Yah, he knows the Kronos better than anyone on this forum. They updated the OASYS documentation to create the KRONOS documentation (since they are very very much the same). Things get missed. While it's an error, I don't see it being THAT big of a deal. If everybody knows that there are no LED bars or LED's on the knobs, that just further backs the point.

Is it "Dan" solely writing the manual? Regardless, I still stand behind the comment.

I think you're missing the point. Obviously LED bars are no big deal and that won't really impact anyone. But what if it's a feature regarding how the keyboard actually WORKS? Are we taking for granted the Kronos is simply an OASYS with 2 additional Engines strapped on from a software point of view? NO features from the M3 (Think Sequencer for example) made their way over? NO other improvements in the software was made? That's a shame if so.

It's the attention to DETAILS that can make all the difference IMO. If something has CHANGED from one keyboard to the next, I'd sure like to have it properly documented so I don't waste days on forums trying to figure something out when it could have taken 5 minutes if it was documented properly.

Now that's taking the POV to the extreme, but EVERYTHING changes when you're the lucky one it happens to. Computers are my profession, and there are LOTS of systems one has to integrate to get things to play nice together. Ever had to figure out why something wasn't working because you were given the wrong information? I have. It's not fun!
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:

Quote:

Is it "Dan" solely writing the manual? Regardless, I still stand behind the comment.
Obviously LED bars are no big deal and that won't really impact anyone. But what if it's a feature regarding how the keyboard actually WORKS? Are we taking for granted the Kronos is simply an OASYS with 2 additional Engines strapped on from a software point of view? NO features from the M3 (Think Sequencer for example) made their way over? NO other improvements in the software was made? That's a shame if so.

It's the attention to DETAILS that can make all the difference IMO. If something has CHANGED from one keyboard to the next, I'd sure like to have it properly documented so I don't waste days on forums trying to figure something out when it could have taken 5 minutes if it was documented properly.

+1
Not very pro, IMHO.
At this point everyone understands that Kronos and OASYS are mostly the same instrument, therefore it shares most of its manual.

But More that five months to elaborate the docs (if not more) demands at least that the documentation has been examined in detail before posting or sending with the device.

Last edited by Davidb on Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone,

this is a completely harmless oversight not causing the slightest damage.

Dan has written excellent manuals for the Oasys and now for the Kronos, and with so much identical text it is easy to overlook somtehing like that.

I enjoy reading the manuals before Kronos release, and that's ten times more important to me than a 100% error free (hard to achieve) manual.

So I think your comment is heaviliy out of proportion in more than one way, and you and we should forget it together, just as fast as the manual error which soon will be corrected.

Last edited by jimknopf on Wed May 25, 2011 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a keyboard, not a nuclear reactor. I've read manuals on more critical equipment than a freaking keyboard that had WAY worse errors in it - that NEVER got fixed. As they find issues in the manuals, they'll update and post. Since most don't have their Kronos yet, it's not really an issue at all.

BUT

How many posts were dedicated to "HEY DAN, WHEN ARE YOU RELEASING THE MANUALZ?!?" on this and other forums or begging for early pre-release versions? Yah, let's bash Dan for doing his best to get them out as soon as he could for us. That'll teach him. Next time he'll know to delay the release of the next workstation for months while he and 10 other people proof read the whole thing and check it for MLA accuracy. That'd obviously be MUCH better.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:
...examined in detial before posting.

Oh, the irony...
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the manual turns out to be riddled with errors, then it will be a problem. I'm happy to give Korg the benefit of the doubt, and assume that this is just a one-off.
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Davidb wrote:
...examined in detial before posting.

Oh, the irony...

David can speak and spell English better than I can speak and spell his native tongue - give him a break!
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, please quieten down.
This doc has 1000+ pages, it would be a surprise if it's 100% error free.

I consider this a minor issue. Better to have the OP guide now with a few flaws than waiting another couple of weeks or months for the perfect final version.

And I look forward to the upcoming thread "I desperately seeking the LEDs on my knobs, where are they?" Laughing
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:

And I look forward to the upcoming thread "I desperately seeking the LEDs on my knobs, where are they?" Laughing

Reminds me of the classic:

TECH SUPPORT: Press the ANY key.
CUSTOMER: I've checked all of them, but I can't find the ANY key.

I can't believe how pickiune some people are on this forum! I thought it was obvious that the Kronos is Oasys plus and minus certain features . . . This is so seriously NOT an issue.
Bach42t

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to print and provided in the box, so it can be easily corrected and provided on the Korg website or a later DVD press included.

--OR--

There is some kind of slick USB LED attachment we don't know about yet! Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: